Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oven dried Tomatoes,Black Olives,Goat Cheese and Sweet Vidalia onions drizzled with EVOO and a pinch of sea salt / Oregano.I haven't made this one yet,but I used to get it at a local Pizzeria a few years ago,that has since closed.It is a delicious combination,and will be one of the first coming out of my almost completed Pompeii style oven!

Comment

My first Pizza Party And Dough Recipe

Here's a link to photo's of my first pizza party

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/piomike/album?.dir=7660

Also I found this dough recipe and it is the best I've had.

2 cups bread flour
      1 tsp quick rise yeast or 1/2 pack
      1 tsp salt
      1 tbsp Olive Oil
      1 cup warm water

in a food processor with the plastic blade. blend dry ingrediants add oil then turn on and add the water slowly. it is a wet dough. turn out on a floured surface and knead 5-10 times put in a large oiled bowl, rise 2 hours in a warm place. thats it and it is great........

Comment

i think creativity can lead to some amazing pizzas, and i've tried some wierd shit. but i think you can't beat the margherita, or my favorite, the margherita pura. the best sauce comes from black tomatoes, straight from the garden (the spiciest tomato strain i've ever tried), just crushed and salted. add sliced or pressed garlic, plenty (not a drizzle) of olive oil, and fresh basil at the last minute. maybe it's boring, but i think it's classic and unbeatable.
        -Paul
        overdo it or don't do it at all!

My 2005 pompeii build

Comment

What are Black tomatoes.I've never heard of them Paulages?

Comment

that's because all of the amazing heirlooms have all been weeded out of the market, because of irregularities. i can't remember exactly which variety is my favorite---it's either "black prince", "black plum" or just "black." seeds for all three are available through territorial seed company (http://www.territorial-seed.com/stores/1/index.cfm). they could most likely be found at your local farmers market, or maybe i'm just too used to living in the northwest. i used to not like tomatoes actually, when i thought they were all beefsteak style, but i can just sit there and eat these plain all day long.
            -Paul

My 2005 pompeii build

Comment

Seafood pizza -- again!

I had a great seafood pizza in a wood-fired restaurant the other night.

Slices of octopus, squid/calamari and cuttlefish/sepia on a base of simple, fresh tomato sauce, and no cheese. Very fresh, and if you like that sort of thing, very fishy. Great on a hot evening.

A lady at a table behind me had what looked like a dinner salad on a pizza. It was fresh greens and mozzarella piled on what looked like a margherita, then covered with EVOO. It made me think you can do just about anything wiht a pizza.

James
              Pizza Ovens
              Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

We do spinach with cheese (actually, they do it, I don't eat that stuff...:-)

Comment

the all-nighter

i work at a pizzaria, and though we sell many pizzas with spinach, i don't really think it makes a good pizza.
                  i do routinely make the strangest combinations you could imagine. the law in oregon requires that as long as alcohol is being sold, you have to have food available. so to start closing early, i try and make something so wierd that people won't rush to buy it. the catch is, my artisan pride won't let me make something that won't actually be tasty if someone is brave enough to try it. i call this pizza the "all nighter." once i made a ceasar salad pizza--romaine, parmesan, croutons and lemons on a caesar dressing base. absolutely disgusting if you ask me, but people loved it.
                  my other favorite was an egg scrambler (egg, feta, ham, green peppers and cream), scrambled on the stone, then topped upon a garlic/olive oil blend with mozzarella.
                  last night i made an orange chicken pizza, marinading the chicken for 24 hrs. in a pseudo-asian orange savory sauce, then breading it to be oven roasted. i wouldn't touch the stuff, but it's now infamous.
                  -Paul

My 2005 pompeii build

Comment

Favorite Pizzas

I made a lot of BAD pizzas and BAD dough before I found some favorites. I use the NY dough recipe from Reinhart's book...it is pretty durable...especially when I have "helpers" trying to shape the dough (i.e. my father stretches it on the peel and tears it and then tries to patch it without telling me so when it goes in the oven off the peel it does a double somersault onto the deck). Anyway - here are the crowd favorites:

- Thinly sliced pears, brie, brown sugar...brown sugar carmelizes...yummy and popular with the ladies
                    - Tomato puree, ham, crushed pineapple, mozz, evo, and brown sugar...my wife's favorite
                    - Buff mozz, evo, thick sliced tomato, and fresh basil leaves and a squirt of balsamic syrup when it's out of the oven
                    - If I can guilt my mother into making meatballs, those are always a good topping

The big favorite though is the dessert cobbler...after the oven cools a bit from the pizza, I take a pile of peeled/cored granny smith apples (peaches work well too), and toss with 1/4 cup honey + cinnamon sugar mix (6.5tbsp sugar and 1.5 tbsp cinnamon) + 2 tbsp cornstarch + a bit of brown sugar sprinkled across the top...put it in a sturdy pan (cast iron skillet is the best if you have one) and set it in the oven til apples look soft and juices are bubbling...then yank it out and cover it with crumb topping mixture (I use the marzetti mix available at Target). You have to watch it close after this because the topping can cook VERY quickly and burn. After it comes out of the oven I make it even worse by drizzling melted caramel over the top and serving with vanilla ice cream.

If you ever get to Dallas...check out fireside pies...great pizza and the reason we built our oven...i try to copy everything off their menu.

Comment

Another good pie

another good pie i had was ricotta, a big pile of arrugula, and evo. i had it at pizzeria bianco in phoenix. i tried to make it at home but it was definitely not as good...ricotta was not creamy enough.

Comment

what's evo?

The first 4 pages of a google search return nothing food related.
                        My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

I asked that same question a few months ago.

Extra Virgin Olive Oil.

I did the math on how much olive oil the family consumed over a two year period, and it was incredible. I really hope the scientists are right, and olive oil is good for you, or I'm in real trouble.

James
                          Pizza Ovens
                          Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Ricotta pizza

Do you think they use imported Ricotta at Pizzeria Bianca?

James
                            Pizza Ovens
                            Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

ricotta pizza

i'm thinking they might make it there themselves...i know he makes his own fresh mozz every morning. i'm guessing it may have been mixed with something like eggs, olive oil or maybe another soft creamy cheese. i don't have too many adventurous soles lining up for strange combos anyway...i have to cook for the masses, not the classes.

Comment

Wow. That's commitment.

Did you see our photos of the buffalo farm and mozz production. Very cool.

http://fornobravo.com/brick_oven_coo...zzarella1.html

In fact, the Agriturismo at the farm has an excellent cooking school and brick oven, about an hour south of Naples. Very highly recommend.

James
                                Pizza Ovens
                                Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Working...
                                X