X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Post your favorite pizza recipe here

Originally posted by hodgey1 View Post
    Stone, what a great idea for a appetizer pizza. Friends and I love smoked salmon and Trout on a crackers with cream cheese and capers. We've also mixed the salmon in softened cream cheese to spread on a cracker, its delicious. Do you soften the cream chesse to get it to spread on the dough or do you whip it?
    My chef wife gets credit for this one. She nukes it for 30 secs...just long enough to soften it, and then stirs in the dill and capers. Don't omit the lemon squeeze when it comes out of the oven...it adds a lot to the flavor profile! I would guess any flaky smoked fish would work well with the other components.

The pizza in the picture was made in our home oven, but we have made this pie for years in our WFO's. Interesting you mentioned crackers...I usually roll the crust on these pies, it de-gasses the dough and makes it cracker like. They are pretty popular, and we almost always make 2-3 of them.

If you make some post a pic!
    Old World Stone & Garden

Current WFO build - Dry Stone Base & Gothic Vault

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
    John Ruskin

Comment

Originally posted by stonecutter View Post
      My chef wife gets credit for this one. She nukes it for 30 secs...just long enough to soften it, and then stirs in the dill and capers. Don't omit the lemon squeeze when it comes out of the oven...it adds a lot to the flavor profile! I would guess any flaky smoked fish would work well with the other components.

The pizza in the picture was made in our home oven, but we have made this pie for years in our WFO's. Interesting you mentioned crackers...I usually roll the crust on these pies, it de-gasses the dough and makes it cracker like. They are pretty popular, and we almost always make 2-3 of them.

If you make some post a pic!
      Stone

It's a great recipe and cant wait to give it a go. Give your wife props from my wife and I. We've been looking for something unusual. We will be making "hopefully" this weekend for friends. Unfortunately I have buttoned up my WFO for the winter so I will have to resort to my oven which does a pretty good job on pizza with a stone insert and a 1 1/2-2 hr preheat at
      550* but still no WFO.

I'm sure the squeeze of lemon brightens things up so we will definitely try that tip. I've been smoking fish for years and have a nice supply thanks to a friend of mine who brought back some salmon he caught in Alaska and a son-in law that gave me some steel head also. I'll post some pictures when make it.
      Chris

Link to my photo album:
      https://www.flickr.com/photos/hodgey...7646087819291/

Link to my build: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f21/...nia-19366.html

Comment

That is a nice score. My wife and I spent 15 days in AK some time ago and came home with 54 lbs of salmon we caught, all fillets, vac sealed and frozen...we checked it like baggage. My cousin lives up in Sitka since we got out of high school so we were fishing as soon as we got off the plane, and just before we left.

What really is a bummer was we never ate any. At that time we lived in condo with a 2 car garage, and I had a 2nd fridge in there. The breaker tripped without me noticing until there was a funky smell coming through the entry door....bye,bye salmon. I had given some away to friends, but they had eaten it by then....they said it was the best they had...oh well.
        Old World Stone & Garden

John Ruskin

Comment

Sorry for your lose, that is a awfull story. Hope you get to visit again sometime soon.

Some of what we were given, we grilled right after he got it home from Ak , it was delicious. The rest I smoked, one batch a little sweet and one a little spicy. Both turned out well and will be great using your wife's recipe. Can't wait.
          Chris

Link to my photo album:

Comment

Hodgey, did you say "buttoned up for the winter"? mine gets closed down for the summer, opened again in September through April... some of our best pizza parties have been in the snow..

Comment

Stony

Maybe you could help alleviate some worries about winter time use. I have fired my oven at least 15 times since completing the dome. I've read several times on the forum from different sources that cracks are inevitable and not a "if" you'll get cracks but when.

I live in the great white north/Great lakes snow belt area that gets lots of snow and sustained very cold temps and it appears you do also. My worry is,,,,,,, I have as yet to see any cracks in my dome and I have this concern that if I fire it up on a 15-20 degree day that im asking for it to crack because of the major temp deferential. Do i throw my knowledge of making hard-cold things hot out the window? Or say F' it and enjoy? Or is there a slow process of safely heating up my WFO like putting a light bulb in it days in advance of firing on cold winters days?

I would love to use it in the winter but need a reasonable amount of assurance that it wont result in a problem. For years we've had sled/tubing parties and having WFO pizzas at one this winter would rock.
              Chris

Link to my photo album:

Comment

Hodgey, we are 30 miles inland from Lake Michigan and have had over 100" of snow 2 out of the last 3 winters. I built my oven out of firebrick and have a couple of small cracks but I don't worry about them. I will occasionally light a pile of charcoal in my oven to help keep it dry and I did a series of small fires just before labor day to make sure my oven was dry. After one of our high school football games in September we did 28 pizzas and I've had it fired up twice since then. Super Bowl is a great day for pizza, but I guarantee you won't see the game... I don't think there is a hot/cold issue if you start with a small fire and gradually build... it takes 3 hours or so to get the oven ready and the cooling process takes 24 hours or more after you are done. Others can weigh in on this, but I say enjoy it..

Comment

In CT, the oven was used year round, and as stoneylake said, the firing should be eased along with greater caution. We lived in the NW corner in the Berkshires and it gets very cold there.

No worries in the current location...my problem was this summer. High 90's during our first firings, but an umbrella and a box fan with a bunch of cold ones helped.

These were just picked today, probably the last few Japs of the year. We have a pizza party on Sat...so that means a popper pie is mandatory. The chili peppers are for a new creation........

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1755.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	174.0 KB
ID:	298114
                  Old World Stone & Garden

John Ruskin

Comment

This is my new favorite, it is a clone of the Bianca "Rosa". I have only made it a couple of times, but it was great both times, and was a crowd favorite.

It requires some prep, but it is worth it.

First I shave some good aged parm very thin, quite a bit actually; there is no sauce, so you can't see it on the pie, but it is well covered. Shave some red onion and sweat it with salt a bit. Roast some fresh pistachios (I break them up as I do so) in garlic oil.

Cover the dough with a liberal dose of EVOO, then the cheese, the pistachios, the onions and some fresh rosemary. Cook then give it a swirl of good truffle oil.

Try it!

Comment

• Re: Post your favorite pizza recipe here

yep, that one looks like a good one for sure.
                      Old World Stone & Garden

John Ruskin

Comment

Originally posted by stonylake View Post
                        Hodgey, we are 30 miles inland from Lake Michigan and have had over 100" of snow 2 out of the last 3 winters. I built my oven out of firebrick and have a couple of small cracks but I don't worry about them. I will occasionally light a pile of charcoal in my oven to help keep it dry. I don't think there is a hot/cold issue if you start with a small fire and gradually build... it takes 3 hours or so to get the oven ready and the cooling process takes 24 hours or more after you are done. Others can weigh in on this, but I say enjoy it..
                        Winter time firing still sounds a bit scary. I think if I do I will maybe warm it up with a light bulb during the week then day before a small fire and then the day of the party I'll fire slowly.

I appreciate you guys weighing in, and any other input is welcome.
                        Chris

Link to my photo album:

Comment

Originally posted by Tscarborough View Post
                          This is my new favorite, it is a clone of the Bianca "Rosa". I have only made it a couple of times, but it was great both times, and was a crowd favorite.

It requires some prep, but it is worth it.

First I shave some good aged parm very thin, quite a bit actually; there is no sauce, so you can't see it on the pie, but it is well covered. Shave some red onion and sweat it with salt a bit. Roast some fresh pistachios (I break them up as I do so) in garlic oil.

Cover the dough with a liberal dose of EVOO, then the cheese, the pistachios, the onions and some fresh rosemary. Cook then give it a swirl of good truffle oil.

Try it!
                          Tscar
                          That looks like an awesome pie, very interesting. I'm not sure if I made it if there would be any pistachios left for the pie!
                          Chris

Link to my photo album:

Comment

Key point of recipe: buy double the amount required.

Comment

satay sauce fresh chicken breast snow peas broccoli cheese

Comment

For Dough
                                1 parcel dry yeast
                                1 cup temperate water
                                1 teaspoon sugar
                                2 tablespoons olive oil
                                2 cups all-purpose flour
                                Topping:
                                1 can tomato sauce
                                Italian sausage
                                1 can sliced mushrooms
                                Parmesan cheese
                                Preparation -
                                Put yeast in the water and mix until dissolved. Add sugar, oil, flour. Put mixing bowl full with dough in warm water for five minutes to rise. Put the dough on a pizza pan. Add the toppings. Cook in the oven at four hundred degree for about twenty minutes.
                                Last edited by JoeBaker; 11-14-2014, 06:36 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X