Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Surface for preparing Dough?

Hi Kris,
    attached is a plan for the stainless top as proposed, if you decide to use the trays then by turning them around, you will get 6 along the back or as the original plan 5 + 1/2.
    I did an ebay search for the trays in the US and only found ONE at $36 each, wow what a rip off. Did a search in ebay.com.au and got 187 with a whole range of trays, lids etc. and 6 new 1/2 trays for $34.00 plus postage!
    Shop around, there was 64 varying sized trays in polycarbonate for $150 but you could easily sell the not required ones for a healthy profit and get your for free!!!!

Cheers.

Neill
    Prevention is better than cure, - do it right the first time!

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neill’s Pompeiii #1
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/n...-1-a-2005.html
    Neill’s kitchen underway
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f35/...rway-4591.html

Comment

Neill- I appreciate everything you have done for me. For the interim till I get something made I have found these stainless steel pans 7"x6"x2.5" for $3 each that fit in the draw. I can get started with them. Have a look. - Kris

- Kris

Comment

Originally posted by REE REE B View Post
        Marble is really the best! Try it you will see the results.

Good Luck happy cooking!
        Thanks! I will report back with my experience. I am sure it will be good.
        Kris
        - Kris

Comment

Great stuff, at least you are up and away.
          Maybe a little later, you will feel the need to have more selection and the options are always there!

Cheers.

Neill
          Prevention is better than cure, - do it right the first time!

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neill’s Pompeiii #1
          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/n...-1-a-2005.html
          Neill’s kitchen underway
          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f35/...rway-4591.html

Comment

Kris, perfect fit. As the drawer is stainless you could put some ice in the drawer under the pans.you might need to seal up the corners with some silastic. Many pizzerias use a drawer under their bench to keep the dough balls.
            Last edited by david s; 01-17-2013, 04:42 PM.
            Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

David- Excellent Idea, I never thought of this!! This started out for me to reclaim my bbq cart and to do the pie building in it's own dedicated area. My problem is not enough counter space. Between you and Neill this has really developed into something more! I will fill the draw with some water and see if it holds. I will let everyone know if the draw needs sealing or if it holds.

Thanks !!!
              Kris
              - Kris

Comment

Hi all - we're curing our oven starting today! Meantime, I am thinking about dough. Our countertops are soapstone, and while this is a smooth surface, I wonder about the mineral oil in/on it. We tried once and had to use a ton of flour to get the dough to slide easily, then clean up was strenuous and we had to re-oil the countertop. It's a nice huge surface, though, right next to the indoor oven. Any thoughts? Thanks!

Comment

KansasTara- I would buy a slab of marble or granite from a stone dealer, see if they have a cut off/ scrap peice and use it on top of your soap stone.

Kris

PS- The draw needed sealing on my out door cart which is working excellent! I still have not added the extra bins for toppings though.
                  - Kris

Comment

Originally posted by KansasTara View Post
                    Our countertops are soapstone, and while this is a smooth surface, I wonder about the mineral oil in/on it. We tried once and had to use a ton of flour to get the dough to slide easily, then clean up was strenuous and we had to re-oil the countertop. It's a nice huge surface, though, right next to the indoor oven. Any thoughts? Thanks!
                    Hello, maybe just use a cutting board on top of you counter to flour your dough and then to do the initially shaping of your outer crust. Once those two things are done my dough never hits the counter again. I stretch it, then put it directly on to the peel and finish topping it. Just a thought
                    Chris

Link to my photo album:
                    https://www.flickr.com/photos/hodgey...7646087819291/

Link to my build: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f21/...nia-19366.html

Comment

Originally posted by nissanneill View Post

Hi Kris,
                      thought about making up a canter levered bracket off the rear of your marble top to hold some bain marie dishes? I purchased some dishes off ebay, made up 2 stands, the rear one higher than the front one and hold the next deeper sized trays and more ingredients, which makes it so easy to see, hold and organise for those all important pizza feasts. Each row also has room for a half width tray or I can replace some trays with half width ones as it it all modular. All trays have lids which get discarded in the rush and used once everyone has their fill. I tend to have the less used ingredients, eg seafood -sliced prawns, calamari, smoked salmon, mussels, etc, avocado, dried tomatoes, onion slices, etc in the front ones, with all the ham, chicken, sliced processed meats etc in the deeper rear trays. I also have larger trays that lay across the front on the hardwood bench top with the 2 cheeses that we like, motzarella and tasty cheese. It works surprisingly well, easy to set up, to access and to clean up.
                      They are cheap, plentiful and the bases easily folded up and tack welded or can be riveted or bolted together.

Cheers.

Neill
                      I am opening a small pizzeria making neo/new york hybrid style pizza cooking at about 700 Deg. The cooking area is a focal point of the restaurant and I am trying to figure out a good surface for opening up skins. The bar top is going to be done in polished concrete and I was wondering if this would be an acceptable surface for the dough opening area. From my research it seems that there are a host of surfaces that will work from wood to stainless to stone. I haven't been able to find but a handful of comments about concrete. I could put in quartz, but it would be pricier than concrete tops and wouldn't fit the decor quite as well. Any thoughts?

Comment

Working...
                      X