• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cobblerdave
    replied
    Re: cobblerdaves build

Originally posted by brickie in oz View Post
    Dave save your vinegar for the fish and chips, once the water dries off the oven the scale will still be there.
    Gudday
    Beg to differ .... But it does work. Have you never used it brickie. Anyway it's perfect for my needs. Those old bricks I want to remove my lime scale only and leave the pantina of old mortar etc cause there old bricks and I want them to look that way.
    If you really want to wipe the surface clean so to speak and still keep from buying heaps of stuff you can use ....
    Use diluted hydrchloric acid pool suppliers ( small amount for spa )or best somone with a pool cause you don't need much.
    Or deck clean from the hardware contains 10 per cent a asolic acid.
    Regards dave
    Last edited by cobblerdave; 06-02-2013, 12:52 AM. Reason: Speeling

Leave a comment:

• brickie in oz
    replied

Dave save your vinegar for the fish and chips, once the water dries off the oven the scale will still be there.

Leave a comment:

• cobblerdave
    replied

Gudday
    Rained off and on all week and the today yep you guessed it rained again. Which is great. Let me make some more progress.
    You are probably thinking at this stage I have gone bonkers , but it has been heaven sent. Course can't finish the tiling, but the week of rain has gone well to soften the lime scale over the oven!
    Broke out the scrubbing brush and a bottle of vinegar and gave the bricks a good scrub. Now vinegar isn't the best choice for removing lime scale but its pretty soft on the skin ,cheap and after a week of weathering works a treat.
    Add a pressure spray down and.....
    Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	984.9 KB
ID:	295060
    Now it just has to stop raining so this puppy ill dry out and I can put on some brickseal and were done ....almost
    Regards dave

Leave a comment:

• reccymech
    replied

Read your thread CD. A wealth of info for the novice. I only hope my WFO is half as good.

Leave a comment:

• reccymech
    replied

Excellent thread Dave. Got a heap out of it. Looking forward to starting my WFO.

Have already downloaded the FB plans, had a read last night. Most likely going to go with 'the flow' and build mine from scratch.

Leave a comment:

• cobblerdave
    replied

Originally posted by Camori View Post
    Dave, that looks fantastic, Wish I had of thought of that.
    Cheers
    Camo
    Gudday
    Thanks for the kind words ..... But that's the point I didn't think of it all by myself! Yes there is some brick covered domes which I admired. V-wiz came up with the brick veneer idea and I thought ....YES now I have enough room.
    You have to thank James and the forum to allowing us to throw ideas around
    Regards dave
    Last edited by cobblerdave; 05-23-2013, 01:18 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Camori
    replied

Dave, that looks fantastic, Wish I had of thought of that.
    Cheers
    Camo

Leave a comment:

• UtahBeehiver
    replied

Dave,

Congrats, no one will ever see the small wedge. They will just marvel at your oven.

Leave a comment:

• Bacterium
    replied

Looking good Dave

Leave a comment:

• Gulf
    replied

Congratulations! Dave, You now have a brick oven .
    That same teardrop formed on mine high and next to the chimney. You are right about it being hard to see. And if they do see it, they will think it was meant to be there. I know you are glad to have that done. I like most all oven finishes, but I am partial to brick. It looks great!

Leave a comment:

• cobblerdave
    replied

Gudday
    Bricks layed Yes! Really happy with the result but did I boost that everything was straight and going to meet in the middle Da!

Views:	2
Size:	691.7 KB
ID:	294734
    Check out just left of middle at the bottom .... See the wedge piece the dome wasn't perfect and I have to fill this in to get back to level. I know its there but I don't have many 7 ft tall guests so Hopefully I'm off the hook?
    As for having the mortar joints not lining up .... Today I just wanted it finished so I just let them fall where they did . One thing I did notice I'm bloody sore I forgot what it was like hoping up and down that ladder for two days the back of my legs and my butt hurts.
    Well not quite finish .... Three years or so and still counting.. Let that mortar set . Scrub with vinegar and remove the lime scale ... Seal with brick seal , tile.
    Bugger ! Still cooks regardless

Regards dave
    Last edited by cobblerdave; 05-19-2013, 01:46 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Gulf
    replied

Looks great! Dave'

This might help some. I stayed with halves as long as I could. I used a little "catch up" bat ever so often to help stay on bond. A young brick layer friend of mine laughed about this when he saw me use it on a straight run of a house. I was using different sized old brick. I told him that it will seem right to him when he started thinking of old brick, not as brick, but as stone .

But if you look just above and to the left you'll see where I quit worrying about the bond .
    You are right about tapering the top courses. There doesn't seem to be much way around it.

Leave a comment:

• cobblerdave
    replied

Gudday

Views:	1
Size:	884.8 KB
ID:	294721
    A bit more progress I'm getting to like the effect more and more. I'm getting to the top of the dome now and the tighter circle has me using alternate 1/2 and 1/4s . Going to have to start cutting some angles on the brick though those gapes are getting bigger. Was a bit worried that the vent plug would not end up in the middle but whichever luck or good management it seem to be true enough. I cannot remember how I actually centred it when I fitted it.
    Well back to the tools ..... You can't beat a Brisbane autumn day
    Regards dave

Leave a comment:

• RichC
    replied

Excellent looking Dave, I'm starting to feel really eager to get mine moving

Leave a comment:

• Greenman
    replied

Similarly to you Dave I found one of those round nose trowels and found it to be a very good thing. Fell upon it by accident in the best tradition of the novice.

It worked very well for me for getting mortar mixed in a rectangular dish and pushing mortar into joints. The learning curve about how well mortar wears out fingertips was very steep as well, no nose picking involved. Material for Sticky No 1?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X