• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cobblerdave
    replied
    Re: cobblerdaves build

Originally posted by stonecutter View Post
    CB, I am not saying this with the intent to correct you, but that trowel you have is called a gauging trowel....normally used for plaster. I'm sure you will find the rounded tip helpful when working out a bucket.
    Gudday
    No problems.....I learned something ......that's always a good thing
    Regards Dave

Leave a comment:

• stonecutter
    replied

CB, I am not saying this with the intent to correct you, but that trowel you have is called a gauging trowel....normally used for plaster. I'm sure you will find the rounded tip helpful when working out a bucket.

Leave a comment:

• brickie in oz
    replied

Dave, I must say you have staminia, build started in 2010 and you are still going....

Leave a comment:

• BOOMERS WFO
    replied

Dave,

2 great ideas. I wish I new about the vinegar. Didn't seem to matter whether wearing rubber gloves, leather or no gloves, your skin still seems to get affected by the mortar. The number of times my skin peeled during the build - and I still don't have soft and supple skin To think women pay a fortune for having layers of skin removed!!!

Cheers

Craig

Leave a comment:

• cobblerdave
    replied

Gudday
    Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	905.0 KB
ID:	294203
    Let me introduce to you 2 things that have helped me in building my oven. I have to explain I am actually "masonry impaired".
    The first is a pointing trowel it's 1/2 the size of a proper trowel. We're only laying 1/2 bricks so its perfect. The other good thing is the round end is just made for picking up a small piece of mortar to poke into the gape you have missed.
    The secound is ordinary vinegar ... Yep the stuff you can steal out of the wife's pantry. An old Italian bricklayer use to say "fingers are for picking noses not playing with the mortar". You and I both know that doesn't happen. I don't pick my nose! But I have been known to get mortar on my hands. And it stings... Pour the vinegar over your lime stung hands and it takes that sting away( sorry still as rough as sandpaper)
    Regards dave
    Last edited by cobblerdave; 04-24-2013, 11:29 PM.

Leave a comment:

• UtahBeehiver
    replied

CD,

That brick veneers is going to look very nice, amazing how a flat brick can curve . I have been quite enjoying watch the Aussie and New Zealand builds and how creative you guys are with procurring materials and dealing with such high material cost.

Leave a comment:

• Bec1208
    replied

Dave, looks good. What are you using to set the brick veneer? Bruce

Leave a comment:

• oasiscdm
    replied

HI Dave

I was in Info Tech from 1980 - 2006 and hate anything Apple with a vengeance. It appears that Iphone [proprietry not open] doesn't rotate photos. . No matter I saved it and rotated it for you.

I like that.... looks great Dave what color mortar will you use? I'd almost go with white cement/grout. Woops didn't see the buttress with grey mortar.
    Last edited by oasiscdm; 04-20-2013, 03:05 AM.

Leave a comment:

• cobblerdave
    replied

Gudday
    Sorry must have to much cement on my fingers the I phone is not uploading
    Regards dave

Leave a comment:

• oasiscdm
    replied

Originally posted by cobblerdave View Post
    Gudday
    As you can see from the pic the buttressing is mortared in but the "brick veneer" is just stacked to see the effect. Regards dave
    Hi Dave

Am interested in what your up to but where's the picture your refer too. Hmmmmmm its like that attachment that we sometimes forget to attach or was it attachment 35000?
    Last edited by oasiscdm; 04-20-2013, 02:43 AM.

Leave a comment:

• cobblerdave
    replied

Gudday
    Always been meaning to buttress the side of my entrance but like most things that work you never get around to it. I also admired Jamie Oliver's oven with its brick dome. Zene oven came along ...beautiful ... Love the old brick. Then Vwiz covered his stand with old brick cut in 1/2 like a veneer! I thought to myself this is possible now.

So I borrowed a metal cut off saw 3350 mm (14 in) fitted with a "stone" blade I did some cuts. Worked like a charm !. ( but bloody dusty!) As you can see from the pic the buttressing is mortared in but the "brick veneer" is just stacked to see the effect. I like the rough effect from the mixed brick and the rough edges so for the moment I have broken the bricks in 1/2 with the brick bulster then split them with the saw. Works alright at the low levels but I will really have to think about the upper as it will end up needing? Triangular cuts or will I except the triangular gapes? Same again with the mortaring ... Will I mortar row by row like brickwork or will I spread the mortar like render and do section by section?
    Any way the chimney will have to go up a couple of bricks higher perhaps?
    Still in the planing stage but its all good.
    A lot of work still to be done all of that paint will have to go with a wire brush on the angle grinder , then the surface roughened and keyed the dismond blade...well that's autum,winter, spring in SE Qld cool, dry, and perfect for the outdoors!....and pizza
    Regards dave

Leave a comment:

• Shano
    replied

My mix was wrong then I guess. I think it was about one bag of cement for each 10 kg of virmiculite. The virmiculite I purchased game in 1kg bags and were about 30cm X 20cm X 15cm deep.

Anyway seems to hold the heat ok.

Think all of the moisture is gone as well, as the cracks are easing up, and there is no longer any water patches around the cracks either.

Leave a comment:

• cobblerdave
    replied

Originally posted by Wayne73 View Post
    60 kg's that sounds like a lot of insulation
    Gudday
    right that's a lot of light weight insulation you have there Shane?Usually for dome insulation the mix is 1 Portland cement to 8 insulation. What was your mix?
    Frm memory I had planed to use 3x 100 ltr bags f pearlite that's .001 mtr2 for ever ltr so 1/3 mtr2 to cover the ceramic layer of a 1 mtr dome with 30 mm roughly.
    Regards Dave

Leave a comment:

• Shano
    replied

Originally posted by Wayne73 View Post
    60 kg's that sounds like a lot of insulation
    I read the virmiculite layer should be about 4 inches thick. My virmicultie layer is only 2 inches thick, so I either got the ratio between virmiculite and cement wrong, or I should have used double the amount of virmiculite.

Seems to work ok though. I haven't actually fired it above 600 degrees yet though.

Cheers

Shane

Leave a comment:

• cobblerdave
    replied

Gudday shano
    No I didn't use vercimulite or pearlite in my build. I used ceramic insulation which from memory cost me A$170. It gave me 2 in over the dome which I finished with 4 in of rockwool. From memory I think it would have taken me 2 to 3 bags of pealite at $35 a bag. The exta cost was well worth it as it gave me dry insulation which considering the wet wheather we were to have have and it was an outside build I was lucky. The pearlite cement would never had dried for months.
    My build cost me about $1200 about double my original budget. The big expense was a 175 firebrick at $3.30 ea the ceramic insulation fireclay cement lime sand and cement. All the tools I had already had, a cement mixer I borrowed ,the blocks or the base was free except for 15 I had to buy same with the steel and the brick for the external parts.h
    So all in all I concider myself blessed especially considering the results. It's not the flashiest oven but has proven to be solid and certainly cooks better than I could have hoped.
    Regards dave

Leave a comment:

Working...
X