• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Karangi Dude
    replied
    Re: Karangi Dude's 48inch Oven

Hi Dave,
    That looks like mighty fine bread.
    Dave I would not mind a pupp out of that old bread tin.
    Last edited by Gulf; 05-12-2017, 09:33 AM.

Leave a comment:

• cobblerdave
    replied

Dear Doug
    Had an old mate over Sat Arvo/night. He's a little bit of a fire man and enjoys camping just for the opportunity to have a fire. He enjoyed the whole fire lighting and oven starting to breath bit. He was taken with the infrared therm and could not believe the temps. Loved the pizza he made himself and (with the help of his wife) even managed to not use to much topping on his pizza.
    After eating we dragged the fire remains to the oven entrance and just enjoyed a cold beer in front of a warm fire... Poor buggers probably hooked and he away to his oil rig and has asked me for some more info...
    Sun arvo with the door on the oven dropped to a comfortable 200C and I baked my first Succesfull loaf of bread. Yes the first attempt another time failed due to taking a "nanny nap" after a few cold ales. Nothing special just a commercial mix put throught the bread maker on dough setting but I got to use my old grandads hand made bread tin. Nice bread eaten very warm with a metling butter...does it get any better
    Click image for larger version  Name:	bread.jpg Views:	2 Size:	1.12 MB ID:	286094

Regards Cobblerdave
    Last edited by Gulf; 05-12-2017, 09:32 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Karangi Dude
    replied

Hi All,
    Had a Weekend cook up, pizza Saturday night sorry no pics I always forget (must drink to much waiting for the oven to heat up)
    Sunday did some baking,
    1. Morocan spiced lamb pide (oo flour)
    2. Turkish bread (stone ground unbleached flour)
    3.French bread (unbleached bread flour)Temp about 220c.
    Then Sunday arvo Braised Duckling cooked with orange juice, red current jelly, red wine, brandy,French shallots, button mushrooms, streaky bacon, garlic, rosemary, bouquet garni and chichen stock served with snow peas and Yorkshire pudding.

Cheers Doug
    Last edited by Gulf; 05-12-2017, 09:32 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Karangi Dude
    replied

Hi Dave,
    Thanks mate everything OK this time, most of the heavey flooding was around us but not so much in Coffs. The creek next to my furniture shop came right up to 12'' from the top but we were lucky it did not come into the shop like the three times in 09.
    Last edited by Gulf; 05-12-2017, 09:31 AM.

Leave a comment:

• cobblerdave
    replied

Dear doug

How goes things for you in Coffs? My Brother used to live in Coffs and I know how it floods So everything alright with you and yours.

Regards Cobblerdave

Leave a comment:

• OscarA
    replied

Originally posted by Karangi Dude View Post
    Is you cast Iron pot coated in enamel or just raw iron like a camp oven? if it's raw iron make sure after using it when you finish washing it you rub olive oil on the inside so it won't rust.

Hey Bert,
    You asked about a suckling pig, I am having a large stainless baking dish built it will be about 950x500 big enough to cook a small pig or lanb in I will let you know when it is tested.

Cheers Doug
    Hi Doug, the cast iron pot is enameled the only part of the pot that is exposed is a thin strip on the rim of the pot. I will make sure that part is oiled, thanks.

That Stainless steel baking tray you had made up is some serious piece of cookware, love it.

Leave a comment:

• Karangi Dude
    replied

Hey Bruno,
    I have a friend in the trade he made up the thermo couplings and got me the digital display at mates rates so I can't tell you what they retail for, perhaps you could go online. If I had to pay full wack then I probably would not have bothered it is a bit extreme. The data gained though has been valuable information regarding heat up and cool down.

Leave a comment:

• brung99
    replied

Originally posted by Karangi Dude View Post
    Yes the thermo couplings are expensive along with the digital display
    Cheers Doug
    G'day Doug,

I was wondering where you sourced the thermocouples and sundry supplies from. Also, what price range are we talking about ?

Regards,
    Bruno
    Last edited by Gulf; 05-12-2017, 09:30 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Karangi Dude
    replied

Thanks Mick,
    All ovens crack, some more than others mine has a couple of hairline cracks nothing to worry about. I used left over mortar from each batch that I made to add about 8mm of extra mass to the oven not so much for extra strength. I cross hatched it because I was going to add another coat but I didn't. The cross hatching did, to some extent help when I put on the thermal blanket, the rough crosses held the blanket from slipping.

Hey Oscar,
    How's things I have been watching your build it's getting closer I bet you can't wait to get cooking. Is you cast Iron pot coated in enamel or just raw iron like a camp oven? if it's raw iron make sure after using it when you finish washing it you rub olive oil on the inside so it won't rust.

Hey Bert,
    You asked about a suckling pig, I am having a large stainless baking dish built it will be about 950x500 big enough to cook a small pig or lamb in I will let you know when it is tested.

Leave a comment:

• OscarA
    replied

Thanks for sharing Doug

That's what I love about these ovens, we call them pizza ovens but they are lot more than that. I like the idea of getting the most out of them as well so yesterday I went to Harris Scarf and got myself a Cast Iron pot which they had for a crazy low special price of $30. The pot will be perfect for slow cooking.
    Keep up the good work with the updates, you're giving me/us some great ideas.

Leave a comment:

• mcreevey
    replied

Hi Doug, brilliant oven. I'm starting one in Brissy soon and am concerned about cracking/mortar strength etc.

Did your oven remain crack free? Did cross hatching the mortar on the exterior help with this? Any tips and adivce before I start would be great.

Thanks heaps
    Mick.
    Last edited by Gulf; 05-12-2017, 09:29 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Bert
    replied

Your making me hungry Doug!

You should add a shoulder of lamb or beef to your list.

Jamie Oliver cooked a lamb shoulder on his WFO and it looked awesome.

I am also waiting on the suckling pig dish!

Have you used the WFO as a tandoor yet? i have read that you can make good naan in them.

Keep up the ggod work!

Bert
    Last edited by Gulf; 05-12-2017, 09:28 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Karangi Dude
    replied

Thanks Jayson,
    I am still in my testing stage, there is a lot more dishes I would like to try.
    With the drying of the banannas and tomatoes I think because there is no air movement it may take a bit longer than with the dehydrator. I need more time to test these things (tomato season is a fair way off yet) I like to use the retained heat to cook something it's just a lot of fun I suppose and it costs nothing yeh!!!!

Leave a comment:

• Jayson
    replied

Food looks fantastic Doug! Great variety.

Leave a comment:

• Karangi Dude
    replied

Hey All,
    I have been using the retained heat in my oven for lots of cooking tests.
    First I must say that with a 48" oven it does take a good fire to get it nice and hot and time to get it saturated. What I have noticed is that if I only use 1' blocks it takes a lot longer to to get up to temp and maintain that temp. So I have started using a 2' log about 6" dia when I move the fire to the side and when this log gets going I reach the temp I wan't and it maintains the temp for a long time with just that one log.
    Now that I know that I am reaching the required temps and saturation by the many thermo couplings that I have in the oven I have been working on the retained heat.
    After cooking Pizza on a Sat night I wait a good while after spreading out the remaing coals before I place the door on. Sun morning at say 10am the oven is way to hot for baking bread even after I have cleaned out the ashes and left the door off for a couple of hours. So I have been cooking a roast for lunch and then baking bread in the late afternoon for eg. last weekend Sat night cooked Souvalaki, Sun morning cooked Roast Pork and Veg, Sun Afternoon cooked Crusty Bread Rolls, Monday let oven rest with door on (no cooking) Tue morning put in slow cook Ossobucco whilst at work, Tue night made Beef Jerky over night, Wed morning Drying Banannas and Tomatoes whilst at work.
    I have taken a lot of temps from the Digital Display but at this stage not really logged the cool down, I will get to that soon and post for your info.
    Last edited by Gulf; 05-12-2017, 09:27 AM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X