• Show
Clear All

• The Goose
    replied
    Re: Karangi Dude's 48inch Oven

Thanks Doug - seems closer to the mark.

"Are you Doug as well?" - yes

Cheers Doug
    Last edited by Gulf; 05-12-2017, 09:54 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Karangi Dude
    replied

Sorry Goose,

Are you Doug as well?
    I transposed the figures it must be getting late!!
    Read it again I think I have it right now
    Last edited by Gulf; 05-12-2017, 09:54 AM.

Leave a comment:

• david s
    replied

Thanks for that info KD, it confirms what we find from practice.

If you are planning on cooking pizzas for a lot of people you give your oven plenty of fire even after it has gone white.

If you only want to cook a few pizzas for the family you don't require the extended firing.

If you just want to do a roast or a couple of loaves of bread then you don't need too much fire but the temp will drop off quicker.

If you want plenty of power and extended cooking, you saturate the oven and wait for the temp to drop to the temp range you want to cook at.

happy cooking,
    Dave
    Last edited by Gulf; 05-12-2017, 09:53 AM.

Leave a comment:

• The Goose
    replied

"After 2.5hrs the readings were taken 10mins after I had moved the fire to the side, surface 493c 10mm 181c 100mm 400c"

Can you clarify the "10mm 181c" please Doug - seems a bit low.

"Pisseria" has temp sensors buried in it and obtains similar results. I usually fire it slowly ie less intense fire and obtain full heat soak around 3 hours - plenty of time to prepare and perhaps a beer or two. Stats are handy for different recipes/preparations.

Cheers Doug
    Last edited by Gulf; 05-12-2017, 09:53 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Karangi Dude
    replied

Hey All,

Reaching saturation!!!

I am one of those people who have put thermo couples in thier oven.
    On the weekend I ran a few tests that might clear up a few points.
    I think people tend to think that when their oven is clearing or has fully cleared that they have reached saturation, when infact they have only reached pizza cooking temp. Saturation takes a lot longer than we think, here are the results from my test:

After 1.5hrs of intense fire with the bricks starting to clear the laser reading of the surface was 535c the thermo couple 10mm inside the brick the reading was 372c and the thermo couple 100mm inside the brick the reading was only 105c.

After 2hrs with bricks almost cleared the readings were; surface 552c, 10mm 411c and 100mm 142c

After 2.5hrs 10mins after I had moved the fire to the side the readings were; surface 493c, 10mm 400c and 100mm 181c
    I also measured the floor temp at this time the readings were surface 498c, 10mm below 368c and 60mm below 281c

So to sum up it takes a long time to saturate these ovens with 2.5hrs of intense fire the oven was still a long way from satutration.
    I really believe that you could not fully heat these ovens to say 450c all the way through to the outside of the bricks and if you could what would you be able to cook in it.
    Equalising and saturation are two different things, these ovens will equalise but you need to put the door on first and then they will equalise in a couple of hours but at a temperature a lot lower, the highest I have achieved is between 280 and 320c but at that temperature it is still to hot for baking.
    Last edited by Gulf; 05-12-2017, 09:52 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Jayson
    replied

It looks great Doug! Much nicer than a piece of dressed timber.
    Last edited by Gulf; 05-12-2017, 09:52 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Lburou
    replied

Thanks for the visual account Doug

As it turns out, I was standing next to our oven yesterday knowing that we need a place to hang our tools.....
    Last edited by Gulf; 05-12-2017, 09:49 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Karangi Dude
    replied

Hi All,
    I was thinking of making some sort of rack to hang up all of my WFO tools.
    First I wanted a rustic look so I did not want a new looking piece of timber or something similar.
    I had to settle on an old log of campher laurell that I had lying around for a while it was much bigger than I wanted but had that old world charm that I was looking for.
    So out came the chain saw to cut a piece off this log, well it took a few hours to eventually get it down to the size I wanted.
    After shaping it to what I wanted I gave it a few coats of tongue oil and bolted it to the side of the oven, I drilled holes in the handles of the tools and put pins in the timber to hold up the tools.

By the way you might notice the trenching spade (pic 3) hanging up with the other tools, it is the perfect tool to move the fire to the side of the oven when you are ready to start cooking.
    Last edited by Karangi Dude; 05-13-2017, 05:50 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Karangi Dude
    replied

Come on guys this is a WFO forum lets move this stuff to the Chit Chat Thread.
    Last edited by Gulf; 05-12-2017, 09:49 AM.

Leave a comment:

• david s
    replied

Scientists have discovered that the frequency of women's farts is lower than that of men. Apparently they can't keep their mouths closed for long enough to build up the required pressure.
    Last edited by Gulf; 05-12-2017, 09:48 AM.

Leave a comment:

• cobblerdave
    replied

On YA Al

Soo....you pee to much...snore too much...and fart like a champion next min you'll be calling Australia "the big west island"....

Regards Dave
    Last edited by Gulf; 05-12-2017, 09:48 AM.

Leave a comment:

• brickie in oz
    replied

Originally posted by cobblerdave View Post
    mid strenght is just right....
    Its like the 3 beers.....no Im not a Kiwi.......
    Last edited by Gulf; 05-12-2017, 09:47 AM.

Leave a comment:

• cobblerdave
    replied

Doug

I probably did read it but never really thought about the implications.......or perhaps one of those VB beer bubbles left over from my younger days burst in my brain at just the wrong time?
    Your right about mid strengh...Lite beer makes me pee to much, full strenght makes me snore to much so mid strenght is just right....
    Yes I drink cans as well....makes for a quieter garbage bin when its collected on Mons at
    4 am... you should hear my neighbours!

regards dave
    Last edited by Gulf; 05-12-2017, 09:46 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Karangi Dude
    replied

Hey Dave,
    I mentioned in an earlier post (#111) that if you get a good fire going for 2 to 3 hours or more and let the coals die down a bit then put a well insulated door on, leave it over night the oven will equalise and if you have a thermometer with a probe through the door the reading on that thermometer is the real equalised temp of the oven. I have tested this many times and all of my thermo couples read within a few degrees every time I do it.
    I know I could use my oven without the thermo couple readings but I am still in the testing process.

Dave I am a bloody Victorian, (even though I have been living in Coffs NSW for 10 Years) I have been drinking VB for 40 odd years, but as age catches up with you I wanted a beer that is mid strength, so now I rotate between VB Gold and XXXX Gold they both taste good to me, I like cans as thay are more safe around the pool in summer time, and they come in boxes of 30 and are really cheap, I mainly drink XXXX Gold as they serve it at my local Pub.
    Last edited by Karangi Dude; 05-13-2017, 05:47 AM.

Leave a comment:

• cobblerdave
    replied

Doug
    Thanks heaps for the info... those probs certainly give you a good idea to the oven temps. Blown away by the idea that a hell boy burn over 3 to 4 hours gives you a hot oven for 3 to 4 days !!!! wow!!! I'm thinking of using a prob thermometer drilled down through to the fire brick to give me more idea of what a given burn will give me in the way of heat over a period of time.
    My thing at the moment is wood supply I have a couple of sq mtr green about 4 mtr of proper dry and a fair supply of tree falls from the local area if I have the time to collect it. I'm determined not to pay for the wood supply I want this oven to be able to operate on basically on waste (recycle wood) and treefalls from my local area.

Again Thanks
    Dave

PS the XXXX gold can for comparison? whats this a QLDsLander?
    Last edited by Gulf; 05-12-2017, 09:46 AM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X