Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Karangi Dude's 48inch Oven

Hey All,
    I thought I would share with you the problem I had in drying wood in my oven as above. I did not realise the amount of moisture that the wood would produce at this temp, consequently my nice steel door had surface rust all over the inside, even though I had painted it with high temp paint, so I had to grind it all off and repaint it.
    So now what could I use for a door during wood drying, then I saw the disc of stainless steel that I was using as a deflector in my outside open fire (I had found the disc under some rubbish when I was cleaning up the yard) it is about 6mm thick and all I had to do was cut the bottom off, I could not beleive it was the same radius as the steel door, well not exactly but pretty close. All I need now is to sort out some handles.
    Last edited by Gulf; 05-12-2017, 09:35 AM.
    https://community.fornobravo.com/for...-s-48inch-oven

Comment

I think drying out a load of wood in the oven is a great idea, but what happens to the moisture? Presumably it goes into the porous bricks, which then will have to be removed again by the next fire, so really little is gained. Maybe if the door were left open slightly then the bulk of the moisture would escape into the flue.
      Sorry, didn't read your post properly. Just read that you did leave door ajar.sorry
      Last edited by Gulf; 05-12-2017, 09:36 AM.
      Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

When cooking pizza and maintaining a fire on the side, I like to place a piece of wood in the entry at the side (helpful if you have a wide entry) and it pre- heats, so when you're reedy to put it in, it bursts into flame very quickly.

Comment

Hi All,
          For a preperation area I built a temporary workbench made of pine and aquired a nice piece of granite about 900x700mm that is perfect for working dough.

The advantages of burning (cured) dry wood really shows, as I mentioned earlier I cure my wood in the oven after I have finshed cooking and store it away for the next firing.
          A couple of pics of the fire below showing the intense heat.

Comment

The only wood that burns like hell is the wood that was born in hell, OZ hardwood.
            Last edited by Gulf; 05-12-2017, 09:37 AM.
            The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Hi All,
              I was planning some bread baking last weekend and I thought I need a way of proofing hearth bread so that it stays more round and not so flat.
              So I build myself a proofing board made out of 10mm marine ply and cedar scotia moulding it will hold 6 large loaves.
              I place the dough on baking paper and cover it with cling wrap and a towel to keep it warm, when it has proofed enough I just lift them on to the new bread peel, baking paper and all.
              It works a treat and I will be able to reuse the baking paper several times.
              Last edited by Gulf; 05-12-2017, 09:37 AM.

Comment

Noice.....
                Last edited by Gulf; 05-12-2017, 09:38 AM.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Originally posted by Karangi Dude View Post
                  Hey all,
                  Just thought I might mention how I get my logs to dry out a bit more (the wood is about 18 months old).
                  I can fit a whole brickies barrow of logs in the oven at once, I put them in at about 180c when I have finished cooking put the door on (slightly ajar to let the moisture out) and leave them there for a few days it really makes a difference.
                  As a general rule I don't put in any logs thicker than my wrist. Do you split those monsters or burn them that size?
                  Dave
                  Last edited by Gulf; 05-12-2017, 09:39 AM.

Comment

I burn logs 300mm dia no problem, they need a bit of encouragement to get going at first.
                    Last edited by Gulf; 05-12-2017, 09:45 AM.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

yeah, I guess a smaller oven requires smaller logs. It is really easy to overload my chamber with fuel and then you don't get the right atmosphere.
                      Last edited by Gulf; 05-12-2017, 09:45 AM.

Comment

Hi David S,
                        They are already split down to the size, I normaly set 3 up in a 'U' shape and build a smaller fire in the middle and then place a couple more across the top once it gets going. If I am having a long cooking session I might start with a bigger back log as in pic 2 but that would be only if we had a lot of guests over.

David it is interesting just how long these ovens take to equalise at higher temps say 400c I can get to temps of 550/600c 10mm inside the floor and wall bricks but it takes a long time for these bricks to transfer heat to 10mm from the outside of those bricks.
                        So if I want to cook for several days using the residual heat It takes a good 3 to 4 hours of intense fire to saturate the oven.
                        Once I finish cooking and let the fire die down and put the door on it is not until the next morning that the oven really equalises (when all 5 thermo couples read the same say 320c)
                        If I am only cooking a few pizzas I can get the oven to temp say 420c at 10mm inside the floor and wall bricks in about 1.5 hours cook the pizzas and the temp at 10mm outside of those bricks will only be about 150 to 200c. So when I put the door on in this situation the readings next morning will equalised at 220c ready for baking bread first thing in the morning.
                        Last edited by Gulf; 05-12-2017, 09:46 AM.

Comment

Doug
                          Thanks heaps for the info... those probs certainly give you a good idea to the oven temps. Blown away by the idea that a hell boy burn over 3 to 4 hours gives you a hot oven for 3 to 4 days !!!! wow!!! I'm thinking of using a prob thermometer drilled down through to the fire brick to give me more idea of what a given burn will give me in the way of heat over a period of time.
                          My thing at the moment is wood supply I have a couple of sq mtr green about 4 mtr of proper dry and a fair supply of tree falls from the local area if I have the time to collect it. I'm determined not to pay for the wood supply I want this oven to be able to operate on basically on waste (recycle wood) and treefalls from my local area.

Again Thanks
                          Dave

PS the XXXX gold can for comparison? whats this a QLDsLander?
                          Measure twice
                          Cut once
                          Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
                          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
                          My Door
                          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

Hey Dave,
                            I mentioned in an earlier post (#111) that if you get a good fire going for 2 to 3 hours or more and let the coals die down a bit then put a well insulated door on, leave it over night the oven will equalise and if you have a thermometer with a probe through the door the reading on that thermometer is the real equalised temp of the oven. I have tested this many times and all of my thermo couples read within a few degrees every time I do it.
                            I know I could use my oven without the thermo couple readings but I am still in the testing process.

Dave I am a bloody Victorian, (even though I have been living in Coffs NSW for 10 Years) I have been drinking VB for 40 odd years, but as age catches up with you I wanted a beer that is mid strength, so now I rotate between VB Gold and XXXX Gold they both taste good to me, I like cans as thay are more safe around the pool in summer time, and they come in boxes of 30 and are really cheap, I mainly drink XXXX Gold as they serve it at my local Pub.
                            Last edited by Karangi Dude; 05-13-2017, 05:47 AM.

Comment

Doug

I probably did read it but never really thought about the implications.......or perhaps one of those VB beer bubbles left over from my younger days burst in my brain at just the wrong time?
                              Your right about mid strengh...Lite beer makes me pee to much, full strenght makes me snore to much so mid strenght is just right....
                              Yes I drink cans as well....makes for a quieter garbage bin when its collected on Mons at
                              4 am... you should hear my neighbours!

regards dave
                              Measure twice
                              Cut once
                              Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
                              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
                              My Door
                              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

Originally posted by cobblerdave View Post
                                mid strenght is just right....
                                Its like the 3 beers.....no Im not a Kiwi.......
                                Last edited by Gulf; 05-12-2017, 09:47 AM.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Working...
                                X