• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• arthuritus
    replied
    Re: Karangi Dude's 48inch Oven

That's enough to convince me I don't need more thermal mass. Thanks
    Last edited by Gulf; 05-12-2017, 09:59 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Karangi Dude
    replied

Hi Art,

To answer your questions,

1. The standard thickness of the hearths of commercial pizza ovens in Sydney is only 50mm.
    We tend to build our ovens for home use to be a little bit more versatile eg; for prolonged heat retention for cooking long after the fire has been extinguished, so I would say anything between 50mm and 75mm would be sufficient.

2. You must fire your oven at high temp for a long period of time to get the hearth to be somewhere near saturation.
    But for pizza cooking you do not need to go to that length, to continue cooking 90 sec to 2 min pizzas you need to fire your oven until it burns off the carbon and then have a good supply of heat off to the side (lots of red hot coals) with some flame to lap over the top of the dome to continually heat the hearth where you are cooking and of course to cook the top of your pizzas.

3. I have ran many tests and monitored the temps, but without going into great lengths the results show basically what I have explained above.

Art, I suppose all ovens vary but with my oven I can continue cooking pizza as long as I like, I never have to rake hot coals over to recharge the hearth where I am cooking pizza, because I continually put small pieces of hard wood onto the fire so that flames are always lapping over the dome to the side that I am cooking on (a good thing about Igloo style ovens)
    The other advantage is that the flames supply a good source of light.

I hope I have answered your questions
    Last edited by Gulf; 05-12-2017, 09:59 AM.

Leave a comment:

• arthuritus
    replied

Absolutely. Its nearly impossible to cook a 90 second pizza without an active fire, because the bottom gets cooked while the top is still raw. But the live fire only keeps the floor warm on the side the fire is on, which means you have to swap everything around periodically.
    Last edited by Gulf; 05-12-2017, 09:58 AM.

Leave a comment:

• david s
    replied

If you keep an active fire going while you cook the pizzas, the heat will be retained better in both the dome and the floor. It also provides an oven light. The flame needs to go right up the side of the dome. Pizzas cooked this way are much better IMO.

Leave a comment:

• arthuritus
    replied

Ahh yeah that sounds about the same as mine I can only do a couple of 90 second pizzas before raking the coals across.

Leave a comment:

• brickie in oz
    replied

90 seconds to 2 minutes for the first few and the time drops as they go along.
    We normally have 10 guests so average 1.5 pizzas per person, plus we do a sweet in the oven too.
    Last edited by Gulf; 05-12-2017, 09:57 AM.

Leave a comment:

• arthuritus
    replied

How many pizzas is that? 90 seconds apiece or are you doing them at a lower temperature?
    Last edited by Gulf; 05-12-2017, 09:57 AM.

Leave a comment:

• brickie in oz
    replied

Originally posted by arthuritus View Post
    Hi Doug,

Hoping to build my second oven soon. I'm considering whether to put an extra layer of thermal mass under my 75mm firebricks. The idea being that the additional thermal mass means that we should be able to cook more pizzas before raking the coals back to reheat hearth. However, going by the temperature readings you posted earlier, the bottom of the fire bricks were far from saturated anyway, so having more thermal mass to heat up would be a waste of time and fire wood. Have you done any more measurements now that you have been using your oven for ages?
    I can do a whole pizza party with 80mm of floor mass with one rake over to reheat the floor.

More mass = more fuel+more time.
    Last edited by Gulf; 05-12-2017, 09:56 AM.

Leave a comment:

• arthuritus
    replied

Hi Doug,

Hoping to build my second oven soon. I'm considering whether to put an extra layer of thermal mass under my 75mm firebricks. The idea being that the additional thermal mass means that we should be able to cook more pizzas before raking the coals back to reheat hearth. However, going by the temperature readings you posted earlier, the bottom of the fire bricks were far from saturated anyway, so having more thermal mass to heat up would be a waste of time and fire wood. Have you done any more measurements now that you have been using your oven for ages?

Leave a comment:

• Karangi Dude
    replied

Thanks Saluki,
    That's the great thing about this forum people like to share there experience.
    Like minded people with a common interest.

Leave a comment:

• Saluki
    replied

As someone just starting to research the process, thanks is advance for the insightful thread.

Great Thread - Great Pics - Great Inspiration
    Last edited by Gulf; 05-12-2017, 09:55 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Saluki
    replied

Great Thread - Great Build - Great Information - Great Inspiration

Thanks

Leave a comment:

• Karangi Dude
    replied

Hi Pete,
    Thanks for the kind words, you sound like you have done your reseach it all looks good from my end.
    Pete, I don't know whether you need the probes, I put them in mainly because I have a good friend in the industry and he set me up, plus I wanted to understand how these ovens work.
    They have been great to get me started, I have posted quite a bit about heat management, I am sure when you get familiar with your oven you will be cooking up a treat.
    It really is up to you good luck.

Leave a comment:

• Aussie Pete
    replied

hey Doug, I am a new member and have just finished reading your 16 page build (excellent stuff i must say), i truely am in "aawww" of your build. I have just started to build my own oven ("well the base anyway"), it will be about 36" wide, with an opening of about 19".
    I'm loving the temperature readings you are supplying us all.
    I too am thinking of placing thermo-couples into my build, but am a bit worried of the longetivity of these units, if they crash...."then what", but still would be great to have them as an informative guide of good temps... (yes, i'm a bit anal as well. ;-).
    My oven will be pompeii style mould oven (not brick), and am still working out small adjustments to things as i go. I just hope my oven will look and keep great temps as yours does.
    Pete
    Last edited by Gulf; 05-12-2017, 09:54 AM.

Leave a comment:

• OscarA
    replied

Originally posted by david s View Post

If you just want to do a roast or a couple of loaves of bread then you don't need too much fire but the temp will drop off quicker.
    I found that to be the case when I cooked a roast Pork Friday night. Oven quickly cooled but had enough heat in it to do the job, just.
    Last edited by Gulf; 05-12-2017, 09:54 AM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X