Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Karangi Dude's 48inch Oven

On YA Al

Soo....you pee to much...snore too much...and fart like a champion next min you'll be calling Australia "the big west island"....

Regards Dave
    Last edited by Gulf; 05-12-2017, 09:48 AM.
    Measure twice
    Cut once
    Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
    My Door
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

Scientists have discovered that the frequency of women's farts is lower than that of men. Apparently they can't keep their mouths closed for long enough to build up the required pressure.
      Last edited by Gulf; 05-12-2017, 09:48 AM.
      Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Come on guys this is a WFO forum lets move this stuff to the Chit Chat Thread.
        Last edited by Gulf; 05-12-2017, 09:49 AM.
        https://community.fornobravo.com/for...-s-48inch-oven

Comment

Hi All,
          I was thinking of making some sort of rack to hang up all of my WFO tools.
          First I wanted a rustic look so I did not want a new looking piece of timber or something similar.
          I had to settle on an old log of campher laurell that I had lying around for a while it was much bigger than I wanted but had that old world charm that I was looking for.
          So out came the chain saw to cut a piece off this log, well it took a few hours to eventually get it down to the size I wanted.
          After shaping it to what I wanted I gave it a few coats of tongue oil and bolted it to the side of the oven, I drilled holes in the handles of the tools and put pins in the timber to hold up the tools.

By the way you might notice the trenching spade (pic 3) hanging up with the other tools, it is the perfect tool to move the fire to the side of the oven when you are ready to start cooking.
          Last edited by Karangi Dude; 05-13-2017, 05:50 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the visual account Doug

As it turns out, I was standing next to our oven yesterday knowing that we need a place to hang our tools.....
            Last edited by Gulf; 05-12-2017, 09:49 AM.
            Lee B.
            DFW area, Texas, USA

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is Here.

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.

Comment

It looks great Doug! Much nicer than a piece of dressed timber.
              Last edited by Gulf; 05-12-2017, 09:52 AM.
              Jayson,

My Picasa Web Photo Albumn - https://picasaweb.google.com/1140387...eat=directlink

Comment

Hey All,

Reaching saturation!!!

I am one of those people who have put thermo couples in thier oven.
                On the weekend I ran a few tests that might clear up a few points.
                I think people tend to think that when their oven is clearing or has fully cleared that they have reached saturation, when infact they have only reached pizza cooking temp. Saturation takes a lot longer than we think, here are the results from my test:

After 1.5hrs of intense fire with the bricks starting to clear the laser reading of the surface was 535c the thermo couple 10mm inside the brick the reading was 372c and the thermo couple 100mm inside the brick the reading was only 105c.

After 2hrs with bricks almost cleared the readings were; surface 552c, 10mm 411c and 100mm 142c

After 2.5hrs 10mins after I had moved the fire to the side the readings were; surface 493c, 10mm 400c and 100mm 181c
                I also measured the floor temp at this time the readings were surface 498c, 10mm below 368c and 60mm below 281c

So to sum up it takes a long time to saturate these ovens with 2.5hrs of intense fire the oven was still a long way from satutration.
                I really believe that you could not fully heat these ovens to say 450c all the way through to the outside of the bricks and if you could what would you be able to cook in it.
                Equalising and saturation are two different things, these ovens will equalise but you need to put the door on first and then they will equalise in a couple of hours but at a temperature a lot lower, the highest I have achieved is between 280 and 320c but at that temperature it is still to hot for baking.
                Last edited by Gulf; 05-12-2017, 09:52 AM.

Comment

"After 2.5hrs the readings were taken 10mins after I had moved the fire to the side, surface 493c 10mm 181c 100mm 400c"

Can you clarify the "10mm 181c" please Doug - seems a bit low.

"Pisseria" has temp sensors buried in it and obtains similar results. I usually fire it slowly ie less intense fire and obtain full heat soak around 3 hours - plenty of time to prepare and perhaps a beer or two. Stats are handy for different recipes/preparations.

Cheers Doug
                  Last edited by Gulf; 05-12-2017, 09:53 AM.
                  U Dont Have 2 Have a Long Neck 2B1

Comment

Thanks for that info KD, it confirms what we find from practice.

If you are planning on cooking pizzas for a lot of people you give your oven plenty of fire even after it has gone white.

If you only want to cook a few pizzas for the family you don't require the extended firing.

If you just want to do a roast or a couple of loaves of bread then you don't need too much fire but the temp will drop off quicker.

If you want plenty of power and extended cooking, you saturate the oven and wait for the temp to drop to the temp range you want to cook at.

happy cooking,
                    Dave
                    Last edited by Gulf; 05-12-2017, 09:53 AM.
                    Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Sorry Goose,

Are you Doug as well?
                      I transposed the figures it must be getting late!!
                      Read it again I think I have it right now
                      Last edited by Gulf; 05-12-2017, 09:54 AM.

Comment

Thanks Doug - seems closer to the mark.

"Are you Doug as well?" - yes

Cheers Doug
                        U Dont Have 2 Have a Long Neck 2B1

Comment

Originally posted by david s View Post

If you just want to do a roast or a couple of loaves of bread then you don't need too much fire but the temp will drop off quicker.
                          I found that to be the case when I cooked a roast Pork Friday night. Oven quickly cooled but had enough heat in it to do the job, just.

Comment

hey Doug, I am a new member and have just finished reading your 16 page build (excellent stuff i must say), i truely am in "aawww" of your build. I have just started to build my own oven ("well the base anyway"), it will be about 36" wide, with an opening of about 19".
                            I'm loving the temperature readings you are supplying us all.
                            I too am thinking of placing thermo-couples into my build, but am a bit worried of the longetivity of these units, if they crash...."then what", but still would be great to have them as an informative guide of good temps... (yes, i'm a bit anal as well. ;-).
                            My oven will be pompeii style mould oven (not brick), and am still working out small adjustments to things as i go. I just hope my oven will look and keep great temps as yours does.
                            Pete
                            Aussie Pete

250th Aussie on this forum...."so i was told"

Comment

Hi Pete,
                              Thanks for the kind words, you sound like you have done your reseach it all looks good from my end.
                              Pete, I don't know whether you need the probes, I put them in mainly because I have a good friend in the industry and he set me up, plus I wanted to understand how these ovens work.
                              They have been great to get me started, I have posted quite a bit about heat management, I am sure when you get familiar with your oven you will be cooking up a treat.
                              It really is up to you good luck.
                              Last edited by Gulf; 05-12-2017, 09:55 AM.

Comment

Great Thread - Great Build - Great Information - Great Inspiration

Thanks
                                Last edited by Gulf; 05-12-2017, 09:55 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X