Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Karangi Dude's 48inch Oven

Originally posted by Les View Post
    How long do you think it will take until someone builds one of these without mortar?
    That is a very interesting question to me, mainly because I do dry stonework in addition to using mortar. The biggest problem I see is that the brick would degrade relatively quickly (to a masonry structure) due to the movement created by thermal cycling. Mortar serves not only as a binder, but as a protective 'gasket' to stone and brick in masonry structures. And an oven has more movement in it than ordinary structures because of the continuous heating and cooling.

There are a couple factors that may add to the durability of a mortar-less oven though. One would be keeping the oven at a fairly even temperature or allow very little fluctuation in the oven temp, to keep movement to a bare minimum. Another would be using brick that is harder, like a high duty firebrick, which would hold up better to movement than the softer low-med duty brick. But then you are changing the performance of the oven using high duty. As is often the case with masonry, it's difficult to not give something up when you are trying to gain something else.

BTW Les, as many have told you, the dome you built is super...excellent work.
    Karangi....apologies, I'm not trying or going to highjack your thread!
    Last edited by Gulf; 05-12-2017, 10:47 AM.
    Old World Stone & Garden

Current WFO build - Dry Stone Base & Gothic Vault

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
    John Ruskin

Comment

Thanks guys for your support.

It will be interesting to see this oven working when it is finished.

My customer and his wife have a small produce farm where they grow all sorts of vegetables, fruit, chickens, ducks, terkeys and of course eggs they sell them at farmer markets.
      The oven will compliment what they are doing, they intend to start baking breads and such things that they can also sell.
      Last edited by Gulf; 05-12-2017, 10:51 AM.
      https://community.fornobravo.com/for...-s-48inch-oven

Comment

Les,

Good question, I think Stonecutter answered it better than I could.

Stonecutter,

Thanks for you detailed answer to Les's question and no your are not hijacking my thread.
        Last edited by Gulf; 05-12-2017, 10:51 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by oasiscdm View Post
          Hey Doug

You should put the build pictures up on this thread of your consult builds.

Then index page 1 with the starting page location of the respective builds you consult on.
          Thanks Colin,

I don't quite understand what you are suggesting about indexing and page location
          Last edited by Gulf; 05-12-2017, 07:20 AM.

Comment

StartsHi Doug

Like This On Your Page One Of This Thread.

My Base Build Starts At Page 1
            My Done Build Starts At Page 6
            My 59 Inch Consult Build Starts Page 24
            My Barrel Oven Consult Stats Page 30

Something Along Those Lines Or You Could Set The Links In Your Signature This Way Those Links Are On All Your Posts.
            Last edited by Gulf; 05-12-2017, 10:52 AM.
            Cheers Colin

My Build - Index to Major Build Stages

Comment

Great! Carry on!
              Last edited by Gulf; 05-12-2017, 10:52 AM.
              Old World Stone & Garden

Current WFO build - Dry Stone Base & Gothic Vault

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
              John Ruskin

Comment

• Originally posted by oasiscdm View Post
                StartsHi Doug

Like This On Your Page One Of This Thread.

My Base Build Starts At Page 1
                My Done Build Starts At Page 6
                My 59 Inch Consult Build Starts Page 24
                My Barrel Oven Consult Stats Page 30

Something Along Those Lines Or You Could Set The Links In Your Signature This Way Those Links Are On All Your Posts.
                I got you now,

I am possibly a bit slow I must be getting old, my wife often tells me your not getting any yonger, especially when I try and do things that the young fellas do. Figure that!!! Why doesn't she just say you are to old for that.
                Last edited by Gulf; 05-12-2017, 07:18 AM.

Comment

Hi Doug

Wouldn't have the same effect Doug. Remember you are only as old as who you're feeling lol . Hey And I'm The Counselor all puns aside i'm guessing she is a great woman.
                  Last edited by Gulf; 05-12-2017, 10:53 AM.
                  Cheers Colin

Comment

• To all those who have followed this thread over the past few years, thank you for taking the time to read it, I hope you have found something of value in the posts.

Thank you for those that have offered their kind words and support, it has been a pleasure for me to interact with the various members of this forum and to share my experiences with you.

I am pleased to see so many builders that have followed my lead in one way or another, whether it is the tapered transition, the platform disc for the final courses, the curing process or positioning of thermo couples etc.

Since I have been a member of this Forum I have never asked for any help but I have been asked for help and advice on more occasions than I can remember (of late mainly through private messaging) it has been my pleasure to help you and I hope you enjoy your ovens as much as I do mine.

There are far too many nice people on this forum to mention individually but I would like to thank you for your support, you know who you are THANK YOU!!!

I am a positive person that does not respond kindly to negativity, senseless objection or condemnation, not just of me but especially to those members who happen to ask silly or previously asked questions.

I feel that the tone of this forum has slipped of late, so much so I have decided to not contribute any further posts, I have not taken this decision lightly and have been agonising over it since my last post in March.

I am sorry that I will not be posting any pictures and information of the finished ovens that I am consulting on as I no longer have the passion to share those experiences.
                    Last edited by Karangi Dude; 01-03-2021, 11:39 PM.

Comment

Doug,

It has been a pleasure knowing you through this forum. Your ideas have inspired me and others to levels above which we thought that we could achieve.

A loss to everyone , though I understand why.

Cheers and thanks for everything.

Craig
                      Last edited by Gulf; 05-12-2017, 10:53 AM.
                      "All I ask is the chance to prove that money can't make me happy"

Spike Milligan

"It is only impossible if you stop and think about it"
                      The Pirate Captain

Comment

Hi K.D.,

Have a good one, really going to miss your gifts of advice, and food recipes, but I truly understand. Keep teaching and cooking.

L.
                        Last edited by Gulf; 05-12-2017, 10:54 AM.

Comment

Hi Doug

All I can say is I wouldn't have started building my oven if it wasn't for your thread.

all I can say beyond that is THANKYOU....................

May god bless you.
                          Last edited by Gulf; 05-12-2017, 10:54 AM.
                          Cheers Colin

Comment

Your positive attitude, thoughtful comments, clear insights, and delicious WFO bakes are (and will always be) treasured by most of us. You have shared with us a tremendous gift that will continue to inspire, help, & make mouths water throughout the Forno Bravo family.

I hope that this family will keep your two Karangi Kitchen threads on the first page of the Regional Australia forum with our reply/comments (as we are attempting to keep Lburou's "A Newbie's survey..treasures..." thread on the first page of the Newbie Forum).

Thank you Doug...it's been terrific and I know you'll continue to enjoy the great life & life style you've built.
                            Last edited by Gulf; 05-12-2017, 10:55 AM.
                            Mike Stansbury - The Traveling Loafer
                            Roseburg, Oregon

FB Forum: The Dragonfly Den build thread
                            Available only if you're logged in = FB Photo Albums-Select media tab on profile
                            Blog: http://thetravelingloafer.blogspot.com/

Comment

Sad to hear hope your ok and change your mind.

The internet like the world is full of differing opinions and personalities,you don't have to like or agree with all of them,you just go about doing what you believe in and ignore the rest.

The serenity prayer;
                              God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
                              The courage to change the things I can,
                              And wisdom to know the difference.
                              Last edited by Gulf; 05-12-2017, 10:56 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by TropicalCoasting View Post

The serenity prayer;
                                God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
                                The courage to change the things I can,
                                And wisdom to know the difference.
                                Amen Brothers.
                                Last edited by Gulf; 05-12-2017, 10:56 AM.
                                Respectfully,

KB

My build
                                Oven Pics (album under construction)

Comment

Working...
                                X