Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: First time oven build

Megapulse,
    If I were in your situation I'd be making a 4"x4" brick mould and pack it firmly with the dry mix you used for the dome, remove it and weigh it,then oil the surface of the mould and add water to the mix and make your brick. You can then leave it in the sun and weigh it each day to give yourself an idea of the rate of water loss. You can then use this information to decide when it is safe to start firing. The water in the middle is going to leave last and is the most problematic.
    Dave
    Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Originally posted by Megapulse View Post
      Yes the fire board is recessed
      With the fire brick hearth touching the stand as they are the heat will wick away and have a cooling effect on the oven.
      The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

From your photos it appears that the floor is fully insulated but the base of the dome is sitting on the supporting slab. It should have been insulated, but don't worry too much your setup will work fine, but you will lose some heat by conduction from the dome to the concrete if this is the way you have done it.

Comment

Megapulse - I like your style and way of thinking - well done.........
          U Dont Have 2 Have a Long Neck 2B1

Comment

nice oven well done. Keep the photos coming I'ld love to see the finished oven.

Comment

Hi Fellow Pizzaioli of the world, viva la pizza

The dome and insulating fire blanket and perlite layer is sitting partly on the fire board and partly on the concrete slab ski i think I have enough insulation not to loose too much heat through .

It is now finished rendered and has been drying in 30+ heat for 2 days.
              I will leave it for a full 2 weeks to dry.

I am pretty happy with the result, the total wall thickness is a full 12 inches from inside to outside and i can't wait to cook in it.

here is the finished image, there is still the finishing touches of the bench tops and block rendering to go, but we can do that between pizzas.Click image for larger version

Name:	pizzaplex.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	123.5 KB
ID:	287852

Comment

Looks good..

Enjoy
                U Dont Have 2 Have a Long Neck 2B1

Comment

Megapulse,
                  As it has been less than a week since you finished your inner 110 mm thick casting and you've also added a perlcrete layer then rendered it over without waiting for the sun and wind to help dry it, you have locked in a lot of moisture. Remember that for every 100 L of perlite used you have probably added around 35 L water. This now has to find its way out your outer shell in addition to the water locked in the centre of the inner dome casting. It is difficult to wait but you must take it slow to prevent cracks and blowing. If I were in your position I'd be drilling a number of small holes in the outer shell to release steam,you can always easily plug them up once your oven is properly dry.

Comment

Hope the render wasnt waterproof. You cant push steam through it. You must always dry a WFO out before you render.

Comment

Hi David

Thank you for the advice.

I have a question, Can the fire be on the right side or must it always be on the left to create the correct convection?

Comment

I don't know why, but I always have my fire on the right hand side. Probably something to do with being right handed. I can't think why either side would work better unless it has something to do with circulation like cyclone direction or water rotating down a plug hole. I sometimes change the fire to the left to get a hotter part of the floor. I've not noticed any difference in heat or smoke circulation.

Does this mean you are ready to take your oven to pizza temp? If so I think you are taking it dangerously quick.

I assumed you were talking about maintaining an active fire on the side to cook pizza, but if you meant firing the oven up to temperature, then you just build the fire up slowly until you can spread the fire out and try to fill the whole dome with flame.
                        Last edited by david s; 11-19-2011, 01:21 AM. Reason: misunderstood the question

Comment

Megapulse
                          You have picked the right wheather for drying out your oven ....Dryest November in the Brisbane records and hot too...
                          Don't forget though you still have to heat the oven up in stages ( and let it cool after) so the stresses take up in micro cracks not one big one.

Regards Dave
                          Measure twice
                          Cut once
                          Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
                          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
                          My Door
                          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

Finally the finished product and it works great

Comment

Nice job, Mega. Should provide years of wonderful wood-fired service. My vote for most neatly-stacked wood.
                              John

Comment

Mega
                                I personally thought the wood could have been stacked a little neater....
                                but full points anyway....
                                I'm driving again so that pizzas tasting better already. ( crook hand ...not drink driving in case anyone thinks different !)

Regards Dave
                                Measure twice
                                Cut once
                                Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
                                http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
                                My Door
                                http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

Working...
                                X