• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• oasiscdm
    replied
    Re: Bacterium's 2nd build

Hi

Wish i had have seen that post 3 weeks ago. Spent ages looking for a floor base giving me that 75mm thickenss. eventually found some 290x290 x75 but would have been nice to get something along the lines you are seeking.

Leave a comment:

• Bacterium
    replied

Apologies Dave and all others........

Yes Christmas came and went...I've been under the radar getting my house finished......and somethings to keep the kids distracted while I get back to oven build.
    I've now got the Pool installed & filtered, pool paving done, fencing done, another retaining wall done, irrigation almost, lawn installed and ready to mow, chook house built and the girls just started laying, fruit trees in and espaliered, shed tidied and brick saw now in view again............and a few reds well.scattered throughout me doing all this.

Ok excuses aside.....time to get back to the forum and oven build....nothing progressed from the base.

So the plan is to do the easy way out with the oven floor and purchase some 600mm by 300mm by 75mm thick fire brick slabs........similar to floor of my very first build.

Leave a comment:

• cobblerdave
    replied

Gudday Damon
    Well Xmas has come and gone how's progress?

Regards dave

Leave a comment:

• Bacterium
    replied

Not much to report

tonight finished a small retaining wall,ready for excavator to cut for me pool then I can drop in and fence, still got some paving, then lawn to do....... but I did manage to organise with Frank to pick up my insulation - going 75mm (3 inches) CalSil under and 75mm of blanket on dome.

Decided to go home-brew mix so just need to pick that stuff up next....... bring on daylight saving

.....maybe pizza, pool and put me feet up at Christmas

Leave a comment:

• Bacterium
    replied

Thanks Dave..... Even though its square in shape I got a bit dizzy.

Leave a comment:

• cobblerdave
    replied

Gudday Damon
    I just call myself masonary impaired but you can come around any time and do my brickwork

Regards Dave

Leave a comment:

• Bacterium
    replied

still here

Got the lintel in, final courses up and top slab poured (with ash slot).

........yep a few of the bricks are on the lean ....I call it my signature
    Last edited by Bacterium; 08-21-2012, 04:39 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Bacterium
    replied

Thanks Dave
    I never thought about it like that, dropping the vermicrete re moisture, especially as I'm not putting my dome under an enclosure.

The cold weather and doing almost 100sq meters of paving has slowed my build, although I got a lintel to do the front span of the base, the other day. Mmmmm tax time is here, see if I can get a few more $$$ for insulation

Leave a comment:

• cobblerdave
    replied

Gudday
    Would never say weakness.....but you might consider keeping to 40mm under the hearth...then use the savings to put a full 3 ins (75mm) of ceramic instead of just 2 in over the dome.
    By the plans 3 ins of ceramic is worth 6 in plus of pealcrete in insulation value and you then have complety dry insulation.....no mass of water to drive out of your insulation before use
    Well thats my take on it .....whichever way you go your certainly interested in a proper level of insulation and thats got to be a good thing

Regards Dave

Leave a comment:

• Bacterium
    replied

Ok, I figured why not just have 50mm/2inches under the oven floor and inner arch.
    From there I could build the outer arch (thermally seperate arch) straight off the concrete base, which gives me a good base to build it on.

Then for the dome (and side of oven floor) insulation I can use 2inches of blanket and 2inches of vermicrete (plus render on top of that).

So coupled with a decent insulated door could I expect a good combination for multiple days of cooking or does anyone see a weakness in my design ?
    Last edited by Bacterium; 07-31-2012, 09:53 PM. Reason: wording

Leave a comment:

• Johnny the oven man
    replied

40 or 50mm seems the popular thickness. Our customers use 40mm with great success, never any issues.

Leave a comment:

• Bacterium
    replied

Just after some input as still deciding
    I was thinking of going all CalSil board under the hearth (instead of vermicrete)..... So how much 2 or 3 or 4 inches underneath? - sitting direct on concrete slab.
    Reason I ask is there a point where its overkill?

Leave a comment:

• Bacterium
    replied

Thanks Dave, yes I need to look at a way to calculate my angled cuts.

My build will be a little slow at first:
    just had 80sq. Meters of paving delivered so have to sort some of that around house due to wet weather......working on that for a week or so.
    Also I've got a mate whose son is doing a pizza oven as a high school project. I'm looking to get him over and give him a shot a laying a few bricks for ... The idea is for him and his dad to help for an hour at every major phase to help them work on their design.

Leave a comment:

• cobblerdave
    replied

Gudday

This link might be of interest as it contains a free program for calculating angles for domes and arches Angleizer free Windows Software - Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community just noted it today but havn't looked to closly yet.
    Love your brickwork to date...I'm masonary inpaired myself but still able to admire good work.
    I like the concealled slab/ insulating layer I used it myself mainly because it was easy to put a layer of brick around block stand to pore the cast saved a bit of formwork witch only has to be pulled of at the end.
    Am watching you build with interest

Regards Dave
    Last edited by cobblerdave; 06-22-2012, 06:11 AM. Reason: spelling

Leave a comment:

• Bacterium
    replied

Progress has been a bit slow but I am up to the 9th brick course of the oven base. I'd probably go hungry if I was a bricklayer due to lack of speed

Ok
    - Basically the inner brick course will now stop and the outer will continue, going up up to course number 13.
    - Across the base front, I'm intending to run a lintel on top of course 9, this will hold the front courses up to 13......below the lintel is obviously open. Not sure if I will use just a right angle lintel OR use a "T" lintel and then the slab (supporting oven floor) could then be supported on the back side of the lintel.
    You will notice the inside course is not complete on all 3 sides (some recesses) - that's to allow for power points (or water outlet ) to be added later (pipes already laid through slab). It also allows for my "pull out" log cart/bench to slide inside the under oven area (all the way to the back....where its only single course)..........ignore the pile of bricks in the middle just easy to access when laying.

Effectively the slab, insulating layers and oven floor will then be fully concealed behind the outer course (on all 4 sides)........yet sitting on top of (and supported by) the inner course sections.

The top of the top course (#13) will be level with the oven floor. This also means I can insulate from the side of the oven floor all the way out to the inside edge of the outer course......(insulate, insulate, insulate)

The distance/height (between course 9 to 13) will be about 350mm going something like this (bottom to top):
    - Reinforced slab = 100mm (4in)
    -Vermicrete layer = 125mm (5in)
    - 2 x CalSil board layers = 50mm (2in)
    ....insulate, insulate, insulate
    -Oven floor fire bricks = 75mm (3in)

I probably wont lay the top course (13th) on the front side, until my oven floor is down. This means I can incorporate a front counter top (polished granite?) that I can sawcut the top brick course around it.

The two brick course are brick tied to each other and the plan is to stick these out of the outer course (inside of it) - such that when I pour the reinforced slab they will tie into the mesh and be inside the whole pour.

I'm working on a finished floor level of approx. 1100mm (42in), which is about the bottom of my elbow. I figure that will give me good view into oven without stooping.

sorry if I confused you....but I figure there is not much detail of double brick stands (house brick style)....maybe it will be helpful to someone. It matches my house and the general yard space which is what is driving my build style.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X