X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ATK406
    replied
    Re: Bacterium's 2nd build

I used a rubber hippity-hop ball for my 2nd to last course (my kids weren't using it anymore). I'm not sure I really needed to, but I wanted to try it anyway. I like to show my kids that you can use all sorts of materials and simple devices to make your work easier.

It worked great. I had to stack some bricks inside the oven to raise the ball into position and inflate/deflate the ball while it was in the oven of course. I would be carefull not to over inflate the ball as it will apply an outward load on your brick and begin to bulge a little bit through the hole. My 2nd to last course was made with bricks cut to 1/2 thickness and probably < 2" wide so I didn't have to worry about the gaps too much.

Regards,
    AT

Leave a comment:

• stonecutter
    replied

Originally posted by Bacterium View Post
    Ok, a good shiraz is better.
    Seeing your location makes me green with envy. Every wine I have tried from SE Australia has been excellent, and my favorite region is McLaren Vale.

This was my favorite label from the area, Normans Old Vine...Cab,Shiraz and Grenache. This line was fantastic, and comparible to bottles that cost 3 or 4 times more.

Old Vine ? Normans

They stopped exporting to the US about 6-7 years ago. We were tipped off by a wine rep we knew, so we drove around northwest CT and bought up every bottle from all three varietals that we could find. A sad day when the last bottle was emptied!

Leave a comment:

• Jimney
    replied

How did your first oven hold up? And are you using Red Clay Bricks on this build too? Also I've heard of people using the Ball.I think it is even suggested in the Forno Bravo Oven Instructions.

Leave a comment:

• Bacterium
    replied

Just finished row 6 except for up against the arch (refer Build #2 photo)

Probably looks more like the ugly duckling as the second hand bricks vary a bit and there are a few spots where one brick turns into the other (over cooked my angle)
    she won't break records on here......I just admire more those who do

Any how it's improvement on my first oven (compare with Build #1, red bricks)
    I forgot how much mortar went into it
    checkout the "V" in between each brick side

Leave a comment:

• Bacterium
    replied

I used the sand cap on my first build and it was great for.tweaking the shape and building those last rows all in the one day. I'm wondering if I stay with my current method and cut/lay a layer every 2evenings:......or just bite the bullet and take a day off and make a last lunge...!

Leave a comment:

• Sharkey
    replied

I cut a plywood disc that was just a bit bigger than the remaining opening and inserted it up into the top of the oven on a pile of bricks and then built a mould out of sand. Once the bricks were cut and placed I mixed up a wet mix and just poured it over. The sand sops up the excess so it was easy to clean up the inside later.

You can get the exact shape you need.

It turned out to be the easiest rows of the whole build and I wished I had done 5 or 6 rows like this.

Leave a comment:

• Bacterium
    replied

Ok, a good shiraz is better.

I'm about a third into laying level #6.......gravity will be a challenge on the next level just getting away with it for now.. Thinking if I should see if the wifes fit ball (dusty one in the corner) could be an option as a form from here on up. Can always deflate it a few hours later to clean up the inside.
    A mate of mine tried this in his oven, anyone else tried it and see any drawbacks?

Leave a comment:

• oasiscdm
    replied

Stuff the pills. A nice henschki shiraz was my choice.
    Last edited by oasiscdm; 03-23-2013, 03:47 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Bacterium
    replied

Colin I can see how tapered bricks would be a good starting point.

The whole multi angle cutting thing is a bit like the red pill or the blue pill in the matrix.
    Last night I took the red pill.

Leave a comment:

• oasiscdm
    replied

Hi Damon/Doug

ut......maybe next oven but I think I need my brain to develop in aAnd don't worry I'm not doing the top/bottom taper cnother dimension for that one.....!!!!!
    or use tapered bricks as that takes out the third diemsion See picture using combintion of 75/51/65 bricks. although i guess you have already pruchased bricks.
    Doug I got it

Effectively one cut but you need the brick to be setup to be sitting at 2 different angles as you drop the saw on the cut........

Thats why i copied Russell [Utahbeehiver and others] Jig. It allows the bricks saw to do compound/mitre cuts.

I have been wrestling with this too. I am using tapered bricks and have worked out the formulae to create a 1 metere arch, as i am looing at no more than 5 mm at most mortar joints less if possible. I would prefer around 2mm joints but maybe thats too hard.

From where i sit there are three distinct things happening with the bricks, tilt/side angle/taper [top and bottom].

If you check the thread Dome Spreadsheet Calculator on tools tips and ticks thread, Deejayoh answered a question i had with a diagram of the bricks explaining tilt and side angle cuts for me. This helped a lot.

With Doug's cutting one side [thanks doug i think i get this now] explanation and Deejayoh's picture it will make sense.

Thanks for the complipment re Jig. Not far from seeing how it operates on the dome cuts, i like that it is infinately adjustable [get exact angle needed] and i can not lose the set angle on both sides.
    Last edited by oasiscdm; 03-22-2013, 05:59 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Bacterium
    replied

And don't worry I'm not doing the top/bottom taper cut......maybe next oven but I think I need my brain to develop in another dimension for that one.....!!!!!

Leave a comment:

• Bacterium
    replied

Doug I got it

First, I worked out how to do the single side cut (as opposed to doing this angle cut on both sides of the brick which is effectively half the amount)
    But
    I didn't angle it to get rid of the inverted "V" because I just cut it flat on my saw bench
    So
    Then I worked it out.......the single side cut needs to be worked out on 2 different planes.

Effectively one cut but you need the brick to be setup to be sitting at 2 different angles as you drop the saw on the cut........

Leave a comment:

• Bacterium
    replied

Ok, thanks

Looks like some experimenting on the saw tomorrow night will help me understand your point....... Not going to try and match Colin's saw jig just yet!
    Last edited by Bacterium; 03-22-2013, 03:15 AM. Reason: Looks ...not "lots"

Leave a comment:

• Bacterium
    replied

Bugger, thought I had an easy solution. My first oven was simple half brick bolster cuts.....or splits.

Saw you mention to trim one side before, It's now doing my head in. So does that mean once you cut a brick in half you then only cut one side.....on an angle front to back and at same time angled top to bottom?.......
    Your patience is appreciated.

Leave a comment:

• Bacterium
    replied

I had a play with the dome spreadsheet calculator. I guess part of my issue is time available to perfect my cuts between all the family/work/life stuff. Tonight is blowing and raining so just topping up my glass will brick saw sits asleep!

Basically I measure the front width and rear width of brick eg.,to find my angle I cut line 12mm in from each side of the front and then 2mm in from each side for the back. Then basically I set up my saw guide to achieve this angle for every cut. For every layer I increase the angle in my saw guide.....seems to be working ok, however I did notice on layer four, a small gap appeared at the bottom of where each bricks join side to side....is this what is meant by "inverted V"?
    Wonder if it will widen or if it will stay the same, it's only just noticeable at this stage.
    Last edited by Bacterium; 03-21-2013, 02:35 AM. Reason: Explanation clearer

Leave a comment:

Working...
X