Oven Build in Adelaide

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oven Build in Adelaide

Finally got my act together to post some photos of my build so far.

Started in January 2012 after lots of thinking and planning (This forum has been great). The oven is located at the back of our house on a 5 metre bench I built. We live in the Adelaide Hills (flat ground - WHAT IS THAT!!) overlooking Second Creek (with view to Port Adelaide/Outer Harbour) at the rear and Cleland at the front. So a picturesque setting for the outside oven/BBQ area.

The base slab is tied into the retaining wall with plenty of steel and concrete. The base is besser blocks with reo rod filled cores. The reinforced slab and insulating layer are 100mm thick each.

I sourced fire brick 'seconds' from Littlehampton Brick and opted for firebricks in the dome. The hearth laid, I got to work on the first course. I made what i now know as an indespensible tool, from a pergola stirup, threaded rod, nuts and a caster wheel which allowed the arc and swing needed.

The first course laid, with the entrance opening in place, the next few courses went down easy using refractory mortar(sand.lime,cement & fireclay) and the dome took shape. I used brick from the original house constuction (15 yrs ago- who said you have to rush these things!!) to form the entrance arch. Many hours used trying to get my headspace right to tie arch, entrance and dome together. Not an easy task - wish I had my fathers engineering brain!!

I am now on the seventh course of bricks, slowing a bit now with the angle of the dome, and height (with the edge of retaining wall right there), the vent is being formed in preparation for the flue and I can almost taste the first pizza.

Will post more photos soon.

Cheers

Craig

Click image for larger version

Name:	B-SLAB DOWN.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	185.5 KB
ID:	318368

Name:	C-STAND.jpg
Size:	191.9 KB
ID:	318369

Name:	F-BASE FINSISHED.jpg
Size:	205.9 KB
ID:	318370

Name:	G-FIRST COURSE.jpg
Size:	93.4 KB
ID:	318371

Name:	H-ARCH.jpg
Size:	112.0 KB
ID:	318372
    "All I ask is the chance to prove that money can't make me happy"

Spike Milligan

"It is only impossible if you stop and think about it"
    The Pirate Captain

Re: Oven Build in Adelaide

Nice looking build! There are so many Aussies on this board, you'd think pizza was the national dish
    My build progress
    My WFO Journal on Facebook
    My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

Looks great Boomer,
      I love the looks of a corner build. Looking forward to more pics.
      Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Hi Craig

What is your 100mm insulating layer composed of?

Regards
        Steve

Comment

Hi Steve,

I just followed the Forno instructions. It is a mix of vermiculite and cement, dry mixed 1 to 6 (I think from memory) with water added to an oatmeal consistancy. Too wet and all the cement goes to the bottom. Not sure if I got mine perfect, though it is stable and solid. The external looks a bit like cocoa pops!! when settled and dried. But will render over anyway.

Cheers

Craig

Spike Milligan

The Pirate Captain

Comment

Great looking build, and great looking setting too!
            Boom Shanker! (Neil - The Young Ones)

Comment

Craig,
              Sounds like a top spot.
              Cheers
              Damon

Build #1

Build #2 (Current)

Comment

I have now almost finished the 8th course. I started shaping to fit to reduce gap on this course, wish I had done this two courses earlier as the finish is so much better. The vent has taken shape over the arch, almost ready to insert flue and hat.
                Not got far the last two weekends due to weather in the Hills. Too cold, too wet. Photos coming.

As the dome nears the end of brick laying, a question. I have been covering the outside of each course with mortar as I progress. This layer is fairly thin, maybe 10-15mm (1/2 inch). Should I make this mortar layer thicker before the blanket goes on?(I have a CSR Fibretex 650 Blanket to insulate the dome with.) The blanket will then be covered with vermiculite(perlite) insulating layer before the final render is applied.
                How critical is this earlier mortar layer under the blanket?

Cheers

Craig

Spike Milligan

The Pirate Captain

Comment

A few more progress photos.

Name:	DSC03901.jpg
Size:	107.2 KB
ID:	290114

Glad I'm not afraid of heights

Name:	DSC03902.jpg
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	290115

A long ladder helps.

Name:	DSC03906.jpg
Size:	121.1 KB
ID:	290116

The oven takes shape.

Thanks to all who have replied. I'm getting so much from this forum. Might be a bit addictive though. Always looking forward to the next post to see what others have done.

Cheers

Craig

Spike Milligan

The Pirate Captain

Comment

Well a month has past since last post, and nothing achieved. Adelaide has had an unusually cold/wet winter without let up. It has been consistantly 8 degrees or lower during the day at my house.

Attempted to start 9th course after last post, set the first two shaped bricks into place with the IT supporting them and I went and had lunch. An hour later the mortar still had not gone off. Chemical reaction too slow. Very frustrating when you can see the end in site.

Have decided I will need to look at a different support structure for each of the next courses to hold the bricks in place better given the angle the dome is now at. Perhaps Karangi's disk system, as I really want to get the dome completed by September.

All suggestions welcome

Cheers
                    Craig

Spike Milligan

The Pirate Captain

Comment

Yep too cold, spent most of the day on the brick saw cutting pavers...... Think it took me another day to feel my fingers again
                      Cheers
                      Damon

Build #1

Build #2 (Current)

Comment

Thanks for the info Doug. A question though. How thick is your wall of your dome? The image above makes it look really thick. Are there multiple layers of brick, or have you just put grooves into the bricks?

I plan on cutting the formwork hopefully this weekend (depending on how quickly I get through all the other tasks I have been given by the boss!!!

Cheers

Craig

Spike Milligan

The Pirate Captain

Comment

craig,
                          Looks great. I live in Adelaide so thanks for the littlehampton source for bricks.
                          Have not been able to download the forno plans. Any help appreciated.
                          Gumfade

Comment

Hello Gumfade,

Welcome to the wonderful world of WFO's. I will forward a copy of the plans tonight as it is on my home computer.

Regards

Craig

Spike Milligan

The Pirate Captain

Comment

Hi Gumfade and welcome aboard.
                              Nice to find another SA on board, so read up, ask questions and enjoy.
                              There are numerous suppliers for all you will need to construct your oven, so go for it.

Cheers.

Neill
                              Prevention is better than cure, - do it right the first time!

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neill’s Pompeiii #1
                              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/n...-1-a-2005.html
                              Neill’s kitchen underway
                              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f35/...rway-4591.html

Comment

Working...
                              X