Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: new build in werribee

Originally posted by deejayoh View Post
    Fifteen pages of a thread before cutting the first brick. This must be some sort of record! :

This post is especially for you Deejay ........ and on page 16..... BTW thanks for the help with the spreadsheet calcualtor.

Attached is my FIRST CUT and dirty bricksaw I'm on my way.

Just one thing missing ear muffs going down to Bunnies to get some.
    Last edited by oasiscdm; 03-21-2013, 08:53 PM.
    Cheers Colin

My Build - Index to Major Build Stages

Comment

Looking good. You just wait to see how dirty that saw is going to get...
      My build progress
      My WFO Journal on Facebook
      My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

And the deck, walls and windows.....
        The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Hey has it got a foot pedal?
          They are great.....look Ma no hands
          Cheers
          Damon

Build #1

Build #2 (Current)

Comment

Gudday Damon
            Sorry..... We are talking about power tools and DIY ers enough of the no hands bit!!!

Regards dave
            Measure twice
            Cut once
            Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
            My Door
            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

Sorry officer.....it really is a brick saw, not a sowing machine
              Cheers
              Damon

Build #1

Build #2 (Current)

Comment

Tell me about it, took me about 60 minutes to clean the bloody thing. The residue sticks to the bottom of the tray needs to be scrapped off. Was wondering if it could be used for anything.

Originally posted by brickie in oz View Post
                And the deck, walls and windows.....
                Yes and the deck and walls and windows. There is shit every where.

Originally posted by Bacterium View Post
                Hey has it got a foot pedal?
                Yes Damon it does but decided to not use it best locked in place so two feet firmly on the ground and two hands [ not holding the handle ].

And some more pictures, one cut left, and hearth is cut. Yeah could have cut the last one but a bit fiddly as i needed to cut both sides so thought i would leave it until tomorrow.

Added a photo of the combination i am using of tapered bricks to hopefully lose the third dimension of cuts needed to achieve minimal mortar. The gap is a 75 mm brick.
                Last edited by oasiscdm; 03-22-2013, 05:04 AM.
                Cheers Colin

Comment

If you are not building a barrel oven your last pic is irrelevant as domes dont get built like that.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Originally posted by oasiscdm View Post
                    Tell me about it, took me about 60 minutes to clean the bloody thing. The residue sticks to the bottom of the tray needs to be scrapped off. Was wondering if it could be used for anything.
                    The residue is basically fireclay. You can use it in your homebrew mortar. You never need to buy fireclay.
                    My build progress

Comment

If you are not building a barrel oven your last pic is irrelevant as domes dont get built like that.
                      I had already considered this so went and asked.

I spoke with a guy i know [works in Refractory] that said that it will work. the difference being, each brick is cut on the two sides effectively creating a key, with each brick narrowing and less bricks per ring as you get higher up the dome. As a rule of thumb i m going down this route as that combination works across the centre of the dome. If that combination is stood up verticallty and rotated a dome would be formed. well at least this is how it was explained this person has been in refractory for many many years. Adjusting along the way will be done as necessary.

Your concerns are noted Allan and i will keep a close eye out for any challenge. Thanks for keeping an eye on where i am at.
                      Last edited by oasiscdm; 03-23-2013, 03:58 AM.
                      Cheers Colin

Comment

Hi All

Well i got to make more mess in the back yard and what a mess cutting bricks makes, OH and got some more cuts done, Jig seems to work quite well on flat cuts. It is so easy to set and accurate. helps i have the digital angle finder. I also have a digital spirit level for the tilt angle on the trays.

I also played around a little on my external template [i made an external sized template as well as the inernal template] to try and understand the angles a bit more, I cut a couple of bricks then measured the angle, then compared this to the Spreadsheet Dome Calculator, and guess what? Deejayoh you are spot on see photo below.

Then I got to thinking i can use this for the whole build as a guide to the angles using this one template. Including potential width and angles. I can draw more circles following the radius internal and external representing each course, mark that on the template with the compass i made and then check the angles what width brick best fits, key that into the Dome Spreadsheet Calculator. It works a treat and again they match Deejayoh spreadsheet to within less than a degree. Dave [Cobblerdave] check twice cut once works a treat especailly using two differnet methods and geting the same result.

It will also allow me to create a smaller template so i can shape the bricks as i get higher up the dome.

I have also decided to cut the first 3-4 courses and dry fit on the ground, just to double check this strategy.
                        Last edited by oasiscdm; 03-24-2013, 01:17 AM.
                        Cheers Colin

Comment

Im sorry, but I dont get this fascinating that ppl have with cutting the floor inside the dome?

Straight off you have lost the thickness of the floor in the build height.
                          There is no way in anyones life time you will be replacing cracked floor bricks, so why?

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Im sorry, but I dont get this fascinating that ppl have with cutting the floor inside the dome?

Straight off you have lost the thickness of the floor in the build height.
                            There is no way in anyones life time you will be replacing cracked floor bricks, so why?
                            Hi Allan

It's just how i wanted to do it but i do get what you are saying. I contemplated doing it on top of the floor but i guess i got lost in Russell [Utahbeehiver], Doug's [karangi dude] builds. Your way would have used the tiles i have left over.
                            Last edited by oasiscdm; 03-24-2013, 03:13 AM.
                            Cheers Colin

Comment

Colin,

Very nice cuts, I see a rival in the making. The saw looks like it is working well. Each to there own on how they build their oven. Yes, making a WFO is dirty business. Looking forward to seeing the rest of the build.
                              Russell
                              Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Looking good. Happy to hear my math is working!
                                My build progress

Comment

Working...
                                X