new build in werribee

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: new build in werribee

Thought i would post some more photos but pretty much at a standstill [compressor blew up had to buy a new one so short of oven funds for a bit, waiting for a mate to make a brick saw tray etc]. Finished inner arch template and hoping 20"x12.5" is correct for 1 metre [39"].

I'm now trying to get my head around a number of things that i am having trouble visualing prior to getting the materials for the oven base.

Trying to get my head around the IT and inner arch brick cuts been looking at Russell [Utahbeehiver] Doug [karangi dude] Octoforno builds. Looks simple when you look at their builds.

Some seem to get two arch bricks from a single brick is that the norm?
    I have noticed the inner arch sticks out 1-2" from the dome? Is that just how it works out?

Maybe i'll wait until i get my bricksaw back with a Utahbeehiver modified tray [yes Russell i know you stole it froom others ] and get my materials.

Cheers Colin
    Cheers Colin

My Build - Index to Major Build Stages

Comment

Are you going to lay your oven dome on a plastic sheet?
      The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Are you going to lay your oven dome on a plastic sheet?
        LOL No I was using my template to visualise what i am meant to do, position, inner arch and all of that.

Hang on I'm meant to be confused, not you .

I will be laying it on Cal sil board 50mm and 50mm refractory tiles or thicker if i can get them if not 75mm Firebrick possibly.

Cheers and still laughing.
        Colin
        Last edited by oasiscdm; 01-26-2013, 01:13 AM.
        Cheers Colin

Comment

Hows this for bad timing........ damn damn damn

Spent yesterday trying to get some cheap freight from Sydney to Melbourne to deliver some Tiles from Field Furnace as they have some 76mm tiles. Toll wanted $700, end up getting a mate to organise it for $100 doable in the broader scheme of things. Ordered at 3.30pm.

On way to a group i facilitate [Dads in Distress Support Services for those that may need it] 90 minutes later, i get a call from Ben [Berwick build] telling me he first thought of me [re looking for thicker tiles than 50mm]. He managed to get onto some 600 x 300 or 200 x 80mm was selling for $20 each. Damn damn damn 2 hours earlier or me waiting 24 hours.

never mind other than freight worked out at a very similar price. $60 more. can live with that.

Cheers Colin
          Cheers Colin

Comment

I have a question for the experts out in the forno world. Since normal and arch fire bricks are the same cost in Australia.

How many of each type of brick would be needed to build a dome with minimal mortar joints eg. 2-3mm only, to make a 1 metre internal wfo. I am looking at 51 and 65 or 51 and 63. what row would use which brick to form the dome. Does anyone have this information handy?.

Cheers Colin
            Cheers Colin

Comment

Ive got a complete book on sizes to make up domes etc but dont know how to post all that stuff on to a page...............sorry

Comment

Hi John

Any chance you might be able to take a photo with your phone of the combination for a 1 meter wfo and sms to me on the number you called the other day.

If not I will go and buy some and play

Cheers colin
                Cheers Colin

Comment

Did you check your private messages Colin?
                  The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

No Brickie but i will.....and now have. Sent you a pm back.

Cheers colin
                    Last edited by oasiscdm; 02-07-2013, 03:12 AM.
                    Cheers Colin

Comment

hi

Got the floor tiles delivered late last week and layed them out damn hard finding 75mm tiles. Cant do much more as i'm waiting to get brick saw back with utahbeehiver [and others that inspired him] mods applied to tray. Now to get some more supplies calsil board this week. Anyhow thought i would load some photo's. Had a little issue with position but now right.
                      Last edited by oasiscdm; 02-10-2013, 03:41 AM. Reason: fix mistakes
                      Cheers Colin

Comment

Colin,

Nice looking floor tiles. Minimizes seams. A couple tips on arch form that I learned during my build first, leave plenty of release gap on bottom of form at least a 1/2" and position with the right height with shims, second, cut yourself a hand hold in arch so you can wiggle the arch out after laying arch, third, save arch form as a template for your future door. I'm keeping an eye on your build.
                        Russell
                        Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Thx Russell

Those pointers are as good as done/done/done. The idea for tiles and 75mm thick was for less seams but came at a price [mainly freight].

Quite nervous with you watching your build is extremely well executed.

Cheers Colin
                          Cheers Colin

Comment

Nothing to be nervous about just paying back all the help i got from the gang during my build!
                            Russell
                            Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Hi Russell

I allowed for the arch to be raised it is 12" high allowing for it to be raised. Always wondered why there were cutouts in the arch template now i know. Didnt want to ask as I thought it would be a stupid question .

Have wondered
                              a: have i made it too small at 1m / 39" as it looks small with only the internal template marked out on the tiles.
                              b: arch at 20" wide is it wide enough

Hmmmmmm
                              Last edited by oasiscdm; 02-10-2013, 10:09 PM. Reason: to add more
                              Cheers Colin

Comment

Gudday
                                My first arch was a failure. The secound I did this way. Cut 2 templates the same. The first screw 2 horizontal battens to the first. Then screw the secound template to the battens . You then take your circular saw and set it to cut the depth of the template and cut through both templates vertically.
                                You will still have to use some shims on the bottom but basically you can then just unscrew the into 4 parts which are easy to remove at the end.

Regards dave
                                Measure twice
                                Cut once
                                Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
                                http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
                                My Door
                                http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

Working...
                                X