Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: new build in werribee

Thx Dave much appreciated

Just annoyed I didn't use my dome template as I would have noticed it very easily and could have adjusted. Instead.... I decided to use Gianni's technique of scoring the bricks on all sides as,,,, believe it or not,,, you push this bricks into place with a firm but slightly sloppy mix and guess what the bricks stay put - no IT, no sticks, jacks, sand forms, or dome templates required, they simply just stayed in place. wouldn't have believed that without actually seeing it work. So much for faith.

The droop is hardly noticeable unless you get into the oven as you can see from photos you wouldn't know. There is a way though..... now I've been in the oven.

Keystone still a ways away. You'll see why when its finally cemented in place.
    Last edited by oasiscdm; 10-06-2013, 02:49 AM.
    Cheers Colin

My Build - Index to Major Build Stages

Comment

Hey Col, Glad i'm not the only one who has had a break. I've kind of stalled for a bit but ive been away and now im just getting rid of other jobs around the house, I'll be back into it before too long. Your oven looks pretty bloody good to me. I can barely even notice the droop your talking about. Mortar joints look good too. You and I are at about the same stage at the moment so I know how your feeling. Not long before the finishing touches and then its home made pizza for tea. Cant wait.

Comment

Sh$t Colin
        You have forgotten One thing . That dome of yours is fully set, cured ,done the full time . Insulate that puppy with dry insulation . Don't bother with the pearlite/ cement layer to get it pretty. A stucco layer or 2 will make it .
        Recon that's ready for those fires now.
        Go fire it
        Regards dave
        Measure twice
        Cut once
        Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
        My Door
        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

Hey Dave and Stevo

There is only one problem with that Dave. The Keystone has not been completed. Next weekend and I still need a kiln.

Sorry will be Shiraliting the Dome, then Blanket, then Render [Stucco]. so not far away.

David b4 you comment - yes I know the blanket is a better insulator, than shiralite but i'm following what I have discussed with a professional commercial oven/furnace builder with 30 years behind him. so its shiralite, blanket, then the stucco. I know on Forno its the other way.
          Cheers Colin

Comment

Gudday Colin
            Fair enough .. You have been sticking to your plan up to this time
            Continue with it
            Regards dave
            Measure twice
            Cut once

My Build
            My Door

Comment

yeah Dave I have sometimes I wish I could just let it go and do it the way you said. Would be eating Pizza now.
              Cheers Colin

Comment

Originally posted by oasiscdm View Post
                Hey Dave and Stevo

David b4 you comment - yes I know the blanket is a better insulator, than shiralite but i'm following what I have discussed with a professional commercial oven/furnace builder with 30 years behind him. so its shiralite, blanket, then the stucco. I know on Forno its the other way.
                It won't make much difference either way, but you may find the blanket a bit lumpy where there are overlaps and folds. That's a big reason why people use vermicrete over the blanket. You might just end up with having to use a really thick layer of render. Maybe if you have some shiralite left over you can fill some of the valleys with it.
                Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Hi David

FYI when I purchased my blanket I decided the seller had 3 boxes of 50 mm x 100mm x 6m strips. equivalent of 60cm x 6m blanket for a bloody great price.

At the time I was thinking it would be easier to lay without all the lumps and bumps. Anyhow I will find out soon enough if my theory is correct.

I could lattice them, wrap them one way then the other.

I tried the shiralite 2 inch thickness in a pot. Here is the the photo it is very solid. it's like solid insulfluff
                  Last edited by oasiscdm; 10-06-2013, 05:18 AM.
                  Cheers Colin

Comment

Originally posted by oasiscdm View Post
                    Hi David

FYI when I purchased my blanket I decided the seller had 3 boxes of 50 mm x 100mm x 6m strips. equivalent of 60cm x 6m blanket for a bloody great price.

At the time I was thinking it would be easier to lay without all the lumps and bumps. Anyhow I will find out soon enough if my theory is correct.

I could lattice them, wrap them one way then the other.

I tried the shiralite 2 inch thickness in a pot. Here is the the photo it is very solid. it's like solid insulfluff
                    Col, Where were you able to get the Shiralite? That's Shinagawa brand isn't it?

Comment

Hi Stevo

Yes, from shinagawa, I obtained it from fire brick and refractory in sunshine west.
                      Last edited by oasiscdm; 10-06-2013, 03:08 PM.
                      Cheers Colin

Comment

Gudday Colin
                        What's the keystone made out of that requires a kiln?
                        Regards dave
                        Measure twice
                        Cut once

My Build
                        My Door

Comment

Hi

Just to report on the Shiralite it is quite a solid product. I found it quite difficult to break at 35 mm thick, I'm quite impressed with this product and am happy to use it over the dome as a insulator before the blanket. I also feel it will lock the dome in place [especially since I have used very little mortar in the build, mortar has been used to simply hold the back of the brick].

I will be using a 50 mm layer of Shiralite over the dome. It is different to vermicrete from what I am seeing.
                          Last edited by oasiscdm; 10-08-2013, 02:44 AM.
                          Cheers Colin

Comment

Glad to hear your back on the horse Colin. Dome looking great, the keystone is getting intriguing.
                            Liteceeper
                            ~~~~~~~
                            My Build - http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ide-19729.html
                            My Door - http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/9/sh...tml#post170496

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - Albert Einstein

Comment

Colin,

Right of passage by crawling in the oven . Don't fret the inside, you will forget about in when you are enjoying your pizza...........ps only you will know and us of course.
                              Russell
                              Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Hi Russell

Not as scary as I first thought. But I still have 2 bricks to finish. This weekend fingers crossed. Cobbler Dave has given me some heads up to expedite finishing. Russell you know what I am referring to.
                                Cheers Colin

Comment

Working...
                                X