new build in werribee

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: new build in werribee

I would only offer one suggestion with the welding. Start with practising on thick material and gradually work your way back to the sheet. Welding stainless and aluminium sheet is quite difficult and after watching a bloke do an aluminium welding job for me with a TIG I figured it was quite a skill.

I have just built the brake so projects using it are my next on my list. I was thinking of using it to fold an inner and outer skin for my next door. The original door has lasted 2 years and still works but being MK I it could be improved. It has also been blown off the edge of the oven a few times and is becoming a little less attractive than when it made its debut.
    Cheers ......... Steve

Build Thread http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f3/n...erg-19151.html

Build Pics http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...1&l=1626b3f4f4

Forno Food Pics https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=1d5ce2a275

Comment

Hi Steve

I got some thick stuff from a mate. Just need to find practice time will start with mig, work it from there.

Yeah I made a make shift for from Hebel prior to Xmas. Works well, May get some more sheet and do Mark2 door myself as it is already cut. Wish I had done brake before I cut it.
      Cheers Colin

My Build - Index to Major Build Stages

Comment

Hey oasis,

Is this your decorative arch, if so where did you source the bullnose bricks from, and where did you source your chimney and chimney base? Brands etc.
        Mate I really like your build and want this style of oven.

Also, why did you render then insulate, then render again?

Cheers for any info.
        Last edited by BrendanLovesPizza; 01-29-2015, 01:58 AM.
        The build has started. 40" pompeii. With mosaic tile exterior.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=dcdb2f715c

Comment

Originally posted by BrendanLovesPizza View Post
          Hey oasis,

Is this your decorative arch, if so where did you source the bullnose bricks from, and where did you source your chimney and chimney base? Brands etc.
          Mate I really like your build and want this style of oven.

Also, why did you render then insulate, then render again?

Cheers for any info.
          Hi Brendan

Yes it is my decorative arch minus the keystone [have had 2 attempts at Keystone and both blew up in the kiln] They are bullnose bricks the same as my house bricks and I purchased enough to build another 2 ovens. I searched for these for quite some time and as it ended up the guy who purchased all the special Nubrick stock operates 5 klms up the road from where I live. He has shit loads of them different colours at his Yard in Melton Victoria. Most brick manufacturers should have bullnose bricks.

The chimney, now this was another monumental quest. You cannot buy these in Aus I imported via Fishpond from the states. all up cost $550. It is the same chimney that Utahbeehiver used is insulated. I cannot remember where but it is discussed in my thread check out page one of the thread and click the links around the time. Fishpond was the cheapest way of getting it into the country shipping was a killer on one quote total cost would have been $1100, I even priced getting something similar made and it would have cost similar.

The first layer on the oven is Shiralite I used this on recommendation from 2 furnace manufacturers. I never understood the concept of insulation then wetting the insulation with the vermicrete. You have a brick dome then loose insulation blanket. For me the shirlaiite locks the dome in place preventing the dome bricks from moving. Consider the heat cool cycle bricks expand and contract. To me it simply made more sense and works a treat. Some say have the blanket first as it is the better insulation. I would say both ways work fine. So I have shiralite, insulation blanket, then my render, then my sealing coat which will be a Granite like render I discovered in my searching.

The flue I used is a Superpro other options are Selkirk or Metalbest I purchased a base plate, the flue is 4', with the cowl.

see page 43 429 on my thread. I checked Fishpond and you can still get the flue for similar prices. Be prepared to wait a while to receive it though.

This is what I ordered. If you go to fish pond and it says it is not available email them I found then if you keep looking you will see them come onto Fishpond you just need to keep looking.

1x Chimney 77806 8 in. x 48 in. Superpro Factory-Built Chimney Length-304-alloy Inner And Outer Walls
          Estimated delivery date: 25th Jul - 8th Aug from USA supplier

$279.00
          1x Chimney 77847 8 in. Superpro Adaptor Plate- Galvanized With Stainless Collar

$79.95
          1x Chimney 77855 8 in. Superpro Rain Cap- Deluxe- Stainless

$142.00

HOPE THIS COVERS YOUR QUESTIONS
          Last edited by oasiscdm; 01-29-2015, 03:56 AM.
          Cheers Colin

Comment

Hey Colin,

Thanks for the reply.

I did a bit more research (lazy me) and found the single or double bull-nose bricks through austral bricks site. Will go to a supplier in Sydney soon to check colours etc. It makes for a great decorative arch I think. What temps are you getting at the decorative arch? I really wanted to go down the path of a red ironbark timber curved arch with a decent thermal break for the timber to cope with the high temps. But bullnose brick will do just fine as well.

The Shiralite though, is this just a high temp refractory cement? Did you then mix with brickies sand and render the dome? Or is it a add water and cast type product? Where did you source from? I have already purchased a high temp cement for my build, used it so far to lay the first 5 courses and dome arch. Rather than a home brew mix mortar.

I plan to have a mosaic small tile exterior. Carrara marble tiles. What is this granite you speak of?

Geez that chimney is expensive, may just get a custom plate made up and buy a non-insulated chimney. Yours looks and functions very well though.

Cheers
            Brendan
            The build has started. 40" pompeii. With mosaic tile exterior.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=dcdb2f715c

Comment

Add water just like normal render. It is an insulation but does also add some thermal mass. I measured the oven outside temp fully fired at around 120c as I started curing after putting this layer in place. I wouldn't use wood as a decorative arch as it still gets some what hot towards the top of the arch. Yes I used High temp mortar too not home brew. I got the shiralite from Fire Brick and Refractory in Sunshine West.

PM me re Granite its still my secrete until I reveal [mainly because the owner is going to install for free].

The Chimney was actually reasonable as I wanted one 1200mm length. In this country they only come in 900mm lengths [unless you get it specially made and this comes at a cost] so you need to use two lengths giving a join in the middle. I did not want this join and I wanted length at least 1200m to get above the shade sail which is cream. If I purchased 2 double skinned 900mm lengths it worked out to a much higher cost than what I bought by about $200 and I would have wasted 600mm. as you see there is a reason for everything.

The guy I got my bullnose bricks from bought Austral entire stock of special bricks. But what I didn't tell him was they were beginning to manufacture the bullnose bricks I used on my house again as they began manufacturing the standards again as they are very popular.
              Last edited by oasiscdm; 01-29-2015, 04:36 AM.
              Cheers Colin

Comment

Damn
                I have taken so long to finish oven, the finish coat I wanted to use is no longer available from the supplier, as he is no longer stocking the product. He stopped stocking in new year and doesn't have any left

I guess back to the drawing board.
                Was going to be able to do this weekend.

Arrrrgh
                Cheers Colin

Comment

Colin,
                  Don't be in too much of a rush. Wait a few months and you could finish the oven on its third anniversary.
                  Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Colin, don't be in too much of a rush...
                    I'm with David. Besides, the longer you take to finish your oven the greater the chance you have to get it 'just right.' Plus, the greater the chance I beat you finishing mine

John

Comment

Nice to here from you both. I may have to import the product from China I contacted a supplier and he sent an email back telling me to contact the organisation I had been dealing with since I started the oven.

Ironic, so now I will have to sweet talk the guy to get 2 buckets when there minimum order is 1000kg.

Hmmmmmmmmm aim was to finish on 3rd anniversary David until this hiccup.

Cheers guys
                      Cheers Colin

Comment

Guess what?

Managed to get 4 25kg buckets of the finish I actually wanted. What an ordeal that was. I contacted the supplier in China a bloke with an English sounding name [Steve Egell] he was quite helpful but put me onto the guy and company I had been conversing for 2 years.

Go figure. But he organised a discussion with the owner

As I have it he had 4 buckets left so I got the lot. I have enough of the stuff for 5 ovens [only need it for this one and the next. But might use it for other purposes.

It will give me the granite finish I was after and is actually better than the original sample I had.

Last 2 photos below arrrrhhhhh oven finally oven rendered time for a beer.
                        Last edited by oasiscdm; 03-15-2015, 01:15 AM.
                        Cheers Colin

Comment

I like the look of the finish. Is it waterproof and will it cope with the elements? I used a standard render finish and an acrylic coat over that. I seems to be holding up ok.\

What sort of $$ are you talking for that finish?
                          Cheers ......... Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Greenman View Post
                            I like the look of the finish. Is it waterproof and will it cope with the elements? I used a standard render finish and an acrylic coat over that. I seems to be holding up ok.\

What sort of $$ are you talking for that finish?
                            Hi Steve

Yes it is waterproof and is meant for outdoors. Was reasonably priced @ $100 for a 25 lt pails. As I noted I bought 4 pails.

It is actually cheaper than some texture wall paint finishes out there where you buy only 4 lt @ over $150 [rippp sneeze offffffffffffffffff].

I only need 2 coats [2mm thickness] should only need 1 pail. Guess I'll have to spray a wall or something with the rest..
                            Last edited by oasiscdm; 03-15-2015, 03:16 AM.
                            Cheers Colin

Comment

So Colin do you have to wash it to get the flecks to stand out? It is a beautiful shape, I bet that took awhile to be happy with. What you going to do with the left overs? Hmmm, I live in granite country??.
                              Cheers,
                              Rosemary

My build so far
                              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ish-19084.html

Starting out collecting info and materials
                              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f3/h...lia-18943.html

Comment

I used Dulux Acratex and it was about $80 for 4 litres. Sounds like you have a winner there!
                                Cheers ......... Steve

Comment

Working...
                                X