Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Camo's new 36" build Brisbane

Hi Camo's

How did you determine the angle on the soldier course?

Thanks,
    JF Woodworks

Comment

JF Woodworks - sorry for the late reply as I have not been able to get onto the computer for a while. I got the angle for the soldier course by just using a string line fron the centre of the floor

Comment

Well I have now finished the entrance floor, arch, chimney and attached the flue - The build didn't go too bad. I will put a 30mm thick brick decorative arch on the front after I have put the insulation on and some decorative stone on the chimney. I've got some questions which I will lay out in the next window about the next steps I need to take and would really appreciate some imput

Comment

Now I only have 100mm space left around my dome for the insulation. I had planned on using 50mm ceramic fibre blanket then approx 30 to 40 mm of perlite/cement and then render 10 or 15 mm after I have burnt the oven in - I'm wondering if this will be suffcient or should I cover in a thicker layer of blanket and just render over the top without the perlite??
          Total refactory management here in Brisbane have two types of 50mm blanket - (They also have 25mm)
          96kg density ? 50mm ? 7200mm x 600mm
          128kg density ? 50mm ? 7200mm x 600mm
          Would I be right in assuming the higher density one will be better ?
          I have also read a few threads here about when to burn in the oven but can't find them now - Should I be burning in the oven before I apply the perlite layer or wait until the insulation is applied and do the whole burn in then???
          While researching where to buy perlite in Brisbane I have noticed there are different types of perlite eg; crushed , expanded, medium, jumbo etc etc- Any sugestions on what type I should buy and how much I will need???? The oven diameter is now approx 1250 dia on the outside (1mt inside dia)
          I remember reading here that the ratio is 10 to 1 for perlite/cement
          If anyone can can give me some guiding light it would be very much appreciated
          Cheers

Camo

Comment

Originally posted by Camori View Post
            Now I only have 100mm space left around my dome for the insulation. I had planned on using 50mm ceramic fibre blanket then approx 30 to 40 mm of perlite/cement and then render 10 or 15 mm after I have burnt the oven in - I'm wondering if this will be suffcient or should I cover in a thicker layer of blanket and just render over the top without the perlite??
            Total refactory management here in Brisbane have two types of 50mm blanket - (They also have 25mm)
            96kg density – 50mm – 7200mm x 600mm
            128kg density – 50mm – 7200mm x 600mm
            Would I be right in assuming the higher density one will be better ?
            I have also read a few threads here about when to burn in the oven but can't find them now - Should I be burning in the oven before I apply the perlite layer or wait until the insulation is applied and do the whole burn in then???
            While researching where to buy perlite in Brisbane I have noticed there are different types of perlite eg; crushed , expanded, medium, jumbo etc etc- Any sugestions on what type I should buy and how much I will need???? The oven diameter is now approx 1250 dia on the outside (1mt inside dia)
            I remember reading here that the ratio is 10 to 1 for perlite/cement
            If anyone can can give me some guiding light it would be very much appreciated
            Cheers
            Camo
            Two layers of 25 mm blanket is easier to apply than one 50 mm layer as the 25 bends around the dome easier. The denser stuff is a better insulator, but more expensive, your choice. I find a 50/50 mix of medium grade perlite And medium grade vermiculite mixed 10:1 with Portland cement works better than either of them alone. This mix will even out the bumps and lumps in the blanket where it joins and folds. Start fro the bottom and work up.
            I think it is also better to drive out the water after insulation, but before rendering the outside shell because the insulation will keep the dome at a more constant temperature. If you can, allow the vermicrete to dry in the sun and wind for a couple of weeks (cover if it looks like rain) , before firing.
            Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Thanks David for the quick response and much appreciated
              Cheers
              Camo

Comment

David,

I am suprised by the amount of water I used in my Perlcrete, each layer requires 2 batches of Perlcrete with each batch using 1.5 gals or 3 gallons per course. So I will heed your advice as well and let the Perlcrete sit for a while before I render too.
                Last edited by UtahBeehiver; 05-01-2013, 03:11 PM.
                Russell
                Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Gudday Camo
                  Ovens looking Grand!
                  There's a couple of wood be oven builders lurcking around our area.
                  I can suggest most places to send them for supplies ...except for the s/steel chimney. You wouldn't mind posting where you got yours from?
                  Thanks Dave
                  Measure twice
                  Cut once
                  Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
                  http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
                  My Door
                  http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

Local Redlands lurker here, I'm doing a fair bit of lurking, seeing what everyone else is doing. Just flicking through different builds, gathering all sorts of info and then I will come up with a plan of my own. Great to have a site like this where you can learn from other peoples ideas or mistakes. Camo, I really like the style of your oven. It is exactly how I visioned mine to be, with the short brick stack and stainless from there up. I've gathered fire bricks and besser blocks so far and will be pouring my foundation slab hopefully on Friday. Looking forward to doing this project. Thanks for all your info everyone.

Comment

• Re: Camo's new 36" build Brisbane

Hi Camo,

Nice looking build. I took the advice of others and started curing my oven whilst I was doing the insulation layer. It was some time from finishing dome to finalising insulation due to weather. I kept dome covered with a tarp to keep water off until insulation was finished.(not when firing tho )

This meant that a lot of the water in the dome and base had been driven off and by the time I had insulated I was making pizza's. I also think this minimized cracks in the final render layer as the moisture had gone.

Cheers

Craig
                      "All I ask is the chance to prove that money can't make me happy"

Spike Milligan

"It is only impossible if you stop and think about it"
                      The Pirate Captain

Comment

Welcome Stevo,

Great to have another WFO'ner on board.

Start your own thread and post lots of Pictures. The wealth of information of this forum will come to your aid.

Cheers

Craig
                        Last edited by BOOMERS WFO; 05-01-2013, 05:39 PM.
                        "All I ask is the chance to prove that money can't make me happy"

Spike Milligan

"It is only impossible if you stop and think about it"
                        The Pirate Captain

Comment

Hey Dave

I had my 200 mm s/s flue pipe fabricated at a local sheet metal workshop. Not sure exactly what gauge it is but it is substantial and set me back $85. Probably cheapest and local industry friendliest way to go.

Where do you find a thermometer with probe for door without parting with a limb? Any suggestions. Tried the FB store but they don't ship O/S.

Cheers.........Steve
                          Cheers ......... Steve

Build Thread http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f3/n...erg-19151.html

Build Pics http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...1&l=1626b3f4f4

Forno Food Pics https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=1d5ce2a275

Comment

Guys I hunted around Brisbane for a flue and chinamans hat but couldn't seen to get both at the same company so I bought the flue on line at pivotonline which is a Melbourne company
                            1 x 6" Wood Heater Cowl - $33.00
                            1 x 6" Stainless Steel Flue - $40.00 (900mm)
                            Delivery to Brisbane about $30

Good quality and packaged really well - arrived in 2 days

Cheers

Camo

Comment

That's cheap for the cowl. I hope it's stainless or you may have to replace it a few years down the track (not that it's a difficult job.)
                              Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Originally posted by Greenman View Post
                                Hey Dave

I had my 200 mm s/s flue pipe fabricated at a local sheet metal workshop. Not sure exactly what gauge it is but it is substantial and set me back $85. Probably cheapest and local industry friendliest way to go.

Where do you find a thermometer with probe for door without parting with a limb? Any suggestions. Tried the FB store but they don't ship O/S.

Cheers.........Steve
                                Gudday
                                The link to the mob I brought mine of its dead. Pacific brands from memory.
                                They are not an accurate thing though. The oven floor temp is what is best to run off after the oven has equalized and my thermometer constantly reads 50C to low, but that's a constant so at least you can make a good guess without opening the oven. I have seen a lot of folk spend much time and effort fixing it to their door in such a way as that probe can get knocked around. I have just a hole in the door for the probe and take it out and pop it on the top of the arch to take the door out. Mines a little battered now so if you find one post the details ... The door will not look as good without one
                                Regards dave
                                Measure twice
                                Cut once
                                Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
                                http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
                                My Door
                                http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

Working...
                                X