Camo's new 36" build Brisbane

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Camo's new 36" build Brisbane

Finally picked up my insulation and got 2 rolls of 25mm ($230). Worked out really well as I had enough left over to put an extra layer on the top to make it 75mm. Chicken wire is on as well and now to find out where I can buy the perlite and vermiculite.

Comment

Originally posted by Camori View Post
      extra layer on the top to make it 75mm.
      With 75mm of blanket you dont need vermiculite or perlite.
      The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Brickie, I think I will put a layer approx 25 to 30 over the top of the insulation so I can easily keep the shape - Anyway everyone says you can never have enough insulation
        Cheers

Camo

Comment

With 75mm of blanket you dont need vermiculite or perlite.

And if you did a nursery supply place would be the go. Bunnings only have 5 litre bags for a ridiculous price.

I got vermiculite from a garden centre for $26.75 for a 100 litre bag.
          Cheers ......... Steve

Build Thread http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f3/n...erg-19151.html

Build Pics http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...1&l=1626b3f4f4

Forno Food Pics https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=1d5ce2a275

Comment

Guys the oven has a full 50 mm blanket over it and I had enough left over just to cover the top half of the dome so the sides only have 50mm. Will that be enough??? So if I don't do a perlite and vermiculaite layer I just need to burn the oven in and then lay the render coat straight on top of the blanket. Sounds tooo easy - I'm almost finished

Comment

You can do that but the extra blanket on top might create some funny forms. The main reason for doing a vermicrete layer is, apart from extra insulation, as a way of getting a nice form which covers over the uneven lumps and folds that are unavoidable with the blanket. Filling them with extra render to get a decent form is a pain.
              Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Thanks David - after thinking about it for a while I have decided to lay the perlite vermiculite layer even though I don't need it - just to keep the shape
                Cheers

Comment

Camo,

I did exactly what you are thinking, eventhough I had 3" of CF I installed perlcrete to give my dome the nice round shape. Make yourself a curved trowel to help you keep a consistent dome shape.
                  Russell
                  Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Well I've nearly finished the Vermiculite/Perlite layer - All I need to do is iron out a few bumps. That mixture was sure hard to get onto the dome!!! I had to change the mixture a fair bit as I could only get hold of the jumbo size perlite. I was mixing at 5 parts Verniculite 5 x perlite - 1 x cement and 3 x water however it was quite difficult to handle and eventually settled on 6:3:1:3 which worked out much better.

For those in Brisbane got the 100L bags of Vermiculite/Perlite at Capalba Produce for about $30 ea.

As the oven is going to be in the weather I plan on putting a small (one inch dia) brass pipe with a screw on cap on top of the oven much the same as Cobbler Dave has done. This should release any moisture that the oven may soak up especially in the humid wet summers we have

Any thoughts about this ???
                    Regards

Camo

Comment

Gudday Camo
                      Ovens looking good,you should be proud of your work.
                      The vent of top of the dome will work to get rid of the moisture you dome/ hearth brick will just attract out of the humid air. The main culprit in our climate is that entrance hearth . Get a good storm and rain drives in on that and its a direct path to your hearth insulation and eventually all the insulation in your oven. I keep a wheather eye open and put a small tarp on the entrance hearth with a couple of bricks on top. Ugly but it works. I'll eventually will put a outer wheather door when I figure out how to keep it on some how without it being blown off in a "big buster"
                      Regards dave
                      Measure twice
                      Cut once
                      Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
                      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
                      My Door
                      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

Hi. I am now a newbie at this but being based in Brisbane was particularly interested in this thread and Brett's build. I haven't read all the forum info yet and it may contain what I'm looking for - but I'm struggling to find a dimensioned sketch drawing of the complicated area at the oven landing, vent landing, oven interface. The FB ver2 document shows the shape but no dimensions (page 14). It might sem obvious to you experienced folk but I see a lot of discussion about this area and I want to get the basics right here. I'm planning a 900mm build and have a built an elevated slab 1500 wide and 1750 deep. This was based on a 300mm oven landing and 150mm vent landing as recommended. Now, based on the plan of page 14 and the photo page 1, the oven landing - is it at the slab level? Or is it intended to be up at the level of the top of the vent landing? The photo does not seem to have a 300mm depth? Hence I hope you see my uncertainty and hoping to get some advice and sketches if they are available. Thanks

Comment

Hey dave

Cant you make the outer door a compression fit.
                          Last edited by oasiscdm; 05-23-2013, 07:08 AM.
                          Cheers Colin

My Build - Index to Major Build Stages

Comment

Originally posted by Brooky Tom View Post
                            Hi. I am now a newbie at this but being based in Brisbane was particularly interested in this thread and Brett's build. I haven't read all the forum info yet and it may contain what I'm looking for - but I'm struggling to find a dimensioned sketch drawing of the complicated area at the oven landing, vent landing, oven interface. The FB ver2 document shows the shape but no dimensions (page 14). It might sem obvious to you experienced folk but I see a lot of discussion about this area and I want to get the basics right here. I'm planning a 900mm build and have a built an elevated slab 1500 wide and 1750 deep. This was based on a 300mm oven landing and 150mm vent landing as recommended. Now, based on the plan of page 14 and the photo page 1, the oven landing - is it at the slab level? Or is it intended to be up at the level of the top of the vent landing? The photo does not seem to have a 300mm depth? Hence I hope you see my uncertainty and hoping to get some advice and sketches if they are available. Thanks
                            Gudday
                            I know there no definite dementions because there is no standard brick size really. So work on the entrance depth being say a nominal brick and a 1/2 approx 300 ml and your chimney a brick spacing aprox 200 mm. 200 x 200 is enough chimney for a 1mtr oven. The hearth is best I recon level with the oven hearth and the entrance hearth finishing at the edge of the slab leaving no fussy lip.
                            Now in saying all this the critical point you have to find out is where you entrance intersects the dome . Find this out
                            early it will determine the middle of the dome and its placement.
                            My own oven is has a 400 ml entrance and works just fine.
                            Hope something in here helps.
                            Have you started your own thread yet if not consider it and you'll attract answers you adapt and fit to your needs
                            Regards dave
                            Measure twice
                            Cut once
                            Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
                            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
                            My Door
                            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

Well guys, I have been burning in my oven in over the last couple of weeks and a great excuse to open a couple of bottles of wine with a few mates for the lighting ceremony. Anyway I started off very slowly, just a few sticks and took her up to 50 celcius and then to 100 over a few burns and then for longer periods. The whole of the inside of the oven went black , I'm using a hardwood called Ironbark and it seems also quite resonist as it seemed to leave a reson like coating on the bricks.
                              I've kept this up all week. Yesterday I got her up to 400 degrees celsius over a couple of hours - the oven started to self clean and all was looking good.........

Comment

Looking good mate. Will be hard to have the discipline to not just crank it up straight away.

Comment

Working...
                                X