Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New build Gold Coast Hinterland

G'day,
    Have been wanting to make a WFO for years, found out about this site from AHB(beer forum) about a year or so ago.
    Planning an oven on my deck so need to build some serious structural support before starting. Got a few projects running so it's not going to be the fastest build. Hopefully get some pointers on suppliers @ Brisbane/Gold Coast when I start.
    Have been reading a few of the builds around here and pretty high standards, got my head spinning a bit, getting hungry reading about them.
    Cheers
    Sean
    My Build:
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...and-19101.html

Re: New build Gold Coast Hinterland

Hi Sean

Welcome aboard. Have noticed you are looking to building on your deck. I had a similar challenge. Check my build out as i had to do similar as the oven was an afterthought rather than a forethought. It was quite tricky as you will see as I had to build the slab around bearers and the over the exisiting deck to get the width i needed in the base to use Hebel instead of Bessa blocks.

You can also check out 'Ben's build in Berwick' he did similar but different.
    Cheers Colin

My Build - Index to Major Build Stages

Comment

Sean,
      Welcome aboard.
      AHB, so I take it beer brewing is one of your many hobbies as mine. The Home brewed beer goes good after a hard days work on the WFO, Gives you time admire your labors of love.
      Look foward to following your post
      Respectfully,

KB

My build
      Oven Pics (album under construction)

Comment

Thanks fellas, more reading to do, wealth of info here.
        My old deck is pretty well had it so need to do some serious work on it. Thought this is a good opportunity to put an oven in and also move my 4 tap kedgerator up onto the deck so I don't have to go downstairs for a beer , although the exercise wouldn't hurt. Working on a plan of attack.
        cheers
        sean
        My Build:

Comment

Here's to the fruits of our labors.

Cream Ale: Listermanns? brew supplies, Cincinnati, Ohio
          Respectfully,

KB

My build
          Oven Pics (album under construction)

Comment

Originally posted by kbartman View Post
            Here's to the fruits of our labors.

Cream Ale: Listermanns? brew supplies, Cincinnati, Ohio
            Must be your shout then.....
            The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Decided in the end to pull the old deck down and build a new bigger deck and also to put a roof over the whole thing. Got @ 42m2 of deck now with @ 65m2 of roof which is good as we are on tank water. The deck is L shaped and will be putting an outdoor kitchen along the 8.5m side with an open fireplace in the corner.
              Bought myself a welder and started to melt holes in metal and sometimes actually weld bits together. After a practice run welding up a new chook house and a few other odd jobs about the place decided to start on the deck. Tig welding the SS balustrade was a bit nicer than Mig welding the WFO support, especially the upside down bits .
              As the deck is on the first level of the house , and we have an inside fireplace too, I decided to put an electric gantry in to bring up the firewood. Have used it already bringing the firebricks up, heaps easier.
              The base is Hebel 75mm panel . I used hebel adhesive to set down 65mm thick ceramic board and cut out the bricks ( 75mm thick) for the oven floor today.
              The oven will be 1000mm and be finished as a rendered igloo type. To maximize deck space I've built the oven out the side of the deck ( also allowing space for the gantry ) The roof overhangs the deck all the way around and the kitchen side is opposite the normal prevailing weather side as well. )
              Going to Brissy for the weekend with friends to watch the wobblies take on the frogs tomorrow night so no building this weekend.

Some piccies :
              Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3562.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	104.9 KB
ID:	304798
              Frame from in front

Name:	IMG_3564.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	82.0 KB
ID:	304799
              Outside looking from front

Name:	IMG_3565.jpg
Size:	74.3 KB
ID:	304800
              Outside looking from back

Name:	IMG_3567.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	119.3 KB
ID:	304801
              Hoisting up some bricks

Name:	IMG_3572.jpg
Size:	139.2 KB
ID:	304802
              Looking out the front, open fireplace will be in corner.
              My Build:

Comment

Serious metal structure work. I take it you not just a weekend welder. By the looks of the materials I am seeing what you Aussies call hebel for the support, then insulating fire brick then standard fire brick on top. Nice start, and neat little electric gantry.
                Russell
                Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Hi seamad

Glad to see another Hebel build. Beginning to think that the few of us that have used it in our builds is getting rarer. Wish you were in Melbourne need someone to show me how to tig weld so I can finish my door. But then again I haven't arc or mig welded either.

How big is the hearth? in the photos doesn't look big enough in photos but probably just an illusion.
                  Last edited by oasiscdm; 06-06-2014, 07:00 AM.
                  Cheers Colin

Comment

Russell, I'm very much a weekend welder, only bought the welder 12 months ago, too hard to do it for a living.
                    Colin, the hearth frame does look small in the photo, however it's 1750 long and 1450 wide, with the back cut out in a radius so when I finish I'll render the dome and hebel base as one.
                    The hebel overhangs the frame at the rear a little, but the frame is under the heavier brick part so shouldn't be a problem.
                    As far as tig welding goes you wouldn't want me as a teacher, I'm very much a novice. It's a good excuse to get another toy/tool. I bought a weldmaster mig/tig/stick machine and watched a few utube videos and started practicing. Amazing what you can learn from the interwebs if you can get past a lot of the misinformation.
                    My Build:

Comment

Originally posted by seamad View Post
                      As far as tig welding goes you wouldn't want me as a teacher, I'm very much a novice. It's a good excuse to get another toy/tool. I bought a weldmaster mig/tig/stick machine and watched a few utube videos and started practicing. Amazing what you can learn from the interwebs if you can get past a lot of the misinformation.
                      hi
                      I bought a welder before Xmas, never welded either thought why not saves asking others then having to wait. Got a smootharc 180 does arc mig tig from BOC gases. So far I have taught myself how to blow holes through stainless plate.

I just helped a client recently (I work in outreach as mental health counsellor) and took him to trade centre, found they do short courses, so I might sign up.

Have a mate welds for a living he said GOODLUCK when I told him I was going to gig weld the door. LOL

Nice idea making Hebel one with the dome.

How high up are you, looks like a queenslander you are building on.
                      Cheers Colin

Comment

Not a QLDer but up high.

Name:	IMG_3606.jpg
Size:	143.4 KB
ID:	305581
                        As usual have a few projects on the go at once. Building a retaining wall and the big one is the boat (12.5m sailing cat).

Name:	IMG_3598.jpg
Size:	140.3 KB
ID:	305582
                        Keeping arch just ahead of dome

Name:	IMG_3599.jpg
Size:	124.2 KB
ID:	305583
                        IT at work

Name:	IMG_3600.jpg
Size:	113.6 KB
ID:	305584
                        Adding mortar to outside

Name:	IMG_3603.jpg
Size:	120.3 KB
ID:	305585
                        Bricksaw with jig
                        My Build:

Comment

Hi Seamad

Wondered what happened. those joints are just how I like them, nice and tight with little or no mortar. Keep those pics coming.
                          Cheers Colin

Comment

Retaining wall done, 30m3 of gravel and crackerdust backfill, still have to concrete yet, but that will have to wait. Herniated disk in my back giving me grief, had a couple of CAT scan guided cortisone injections to help get my leg working.
                            Anyway, dome closed, had wanted minimal mortar joins but as I can't move that well I went the pragmatic approach, I'm sure it will cook just as well.

Name:	IMG_3738.jpg
Size:	258.5 KB
ID:	306527
                            Boxed up and poured some VPcrete ( ain't that weird stuff)so the landing and sides will be level with the floor. Bit of SS SHS as a heat break, cut most of the bottom out of it and filled it with Calsil board. Put a bead of permatex ultracopper along the bottom inside edge of it and set @ 3mm out from oven floor. Remaining gap above will fill with ash. Put the SS in just higher than the floor to help prevent chipping bricks

Name:	IMG_3740.jpg
Size:	158.1 KB
ID:	306528
                            Looking in

Name:	IMG_3741.jpg
Size:	243.4 KB
ID:	306529
                            Forgot to close the doors on the deck one day and well it's pretty improbable just how much brick dust made it inside, so I thought I should try to make up for it by carving a heart with initials into the plug bricks. Got called a soppy bastard for my efforts.

Name:	IMG_3743.jpg
Size:	222.3 KB
ID:	306530
                            Looking out

Hopefully start on the vent next week, need to brew some beer on the weekend.
                            My Build:

Comment

Looks good! I like your brickwork.

Confusing kindness with weakness can be a burden for some. You might try flowers.
                              Cheers ......... Steve

Build Thread http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f3/n...erg-19151.html

Build Pics http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...1&l=1626b3f4f4

Forno Food Pics https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=1d5ce2a275

Comment

Working...
                              X