Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lancer's Philippine Build, Close to Australia Anyhoo...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Lancer's Philippine Build, Close to Australia Anyhoo...

We held a pizza night last weekend and it was one of the worst nights we have ever had.
    I invited a bloke I used to work with, he brought his wife and two kids, they were so feral they spoilt the night for everyone.
    The wife never got off her phone texting her friends about what a great night she was having? and playing music and videos all night too, all the while her feral kids were running amok.

They wont be coming again.....
    The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Ah well, its over anyway. Best thing that can be said about an evening like that.

One thing I like about large parties is if someone is acting the idiot in one place, I just go somewhere else.
      Last edited by Lancer; 04-13-2013, 02:36 PM.

Comment

First time I've ever owned a Rottweiler and its a great, even tempered dog. Steady as a rock, wide shoulders, broad head, black as night except for a little brown around the snout. The lot isn't too big for running so I take him in the pool swimming and never a complaint though in the beginning he really looked like he wasn't enjoying himself. Now I just pick him up and jump in the pool and I walk and guide him in circles, he knows the drill. Finally I'll direct him toward the chair over the ocean which is where he likes to go and rest, he can stand there. Well he's like a horse heading for the barn, he really picks up the effort and tries really hard to get to the chair, great exercise. This happens twice a day most days. Name is Gary after a long time friend back in Oregon.

Gary is good with the kids, makes a deep barrel chested bark even at 7 months, poops where he's supposed to poop... I sleep better with Gary on the job. I know if someone tries to get on the property he'll wake me up and give time to arm myself and respond, and that's all important. Don't like the thought of being caught with my pants down.

Comment

Friggin dog puked in the pool the other day just after I finished cleaning it and the day before my wife's friends from her school days had their meeting here. Bad dog! I had to clean it again that evening and early morning the day of the party. Ahh well, life goes on. The good news is that an Aussie friend is married to my wife's classmate and he brought his brother and we had a great time. :b:

Comment

Thanks for the 'like' Brickie.

Right now I'm waiting. The guys that I need to help me are doing other stuff. Mostly Bonifacio, aka Sho, who is my brother in law and talented mason.
            Last edited by Lancer; 04-20-2013, 04:06 PM.

Comment

Hey guys check out this vid. Let me give you a background first. They take rice husks, coconut leaves, biomass of any sort and soak it in water for a few days. I think this releases starches to aid in binding. Then they press out the water as shown and hang the fuel bricks on a rod to dry. The fuel bricks have a hole in the middle.

What do you guys think, solve the problem we discussed in the previous thread? Bonifacio has a couple kids just about the age where a few extra pesos are just the thing. They've already started doing odd jobs and could make fuel bricks.

School Fuel - Google Project 10 to 100th - YouTube

Comment

Give it a go............at least it could supplement your main fuel. Creative use of waste material. BTW, are you on a outer island in the Phillipines or the mainland?
                Russell
                Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

The main island I guess would be Luzon to the north where Manila is however there's another huge one to the south, Mindanao. I'm in the middle on Bohol just south of Cebu Island. Bohol is considered to be a bit of a smallish backwater I'm happy to say, away from the busy areas. Makes it a trick to locate stuff I need and that's why I'm planning on firing my own bricks and going to the volcanic island of Camiguin for pumice. No super home stores here yet, have to get it from nature. Likely a well stocked home store in Manila but that's far. Do you know the Philippines, UtahBeehiver?

Comment

Not a clue about the Phillipines so your description of where you live relative to Manila makes it all the more interesting on how you need to be creative to build your WFO!
                    Last edited by UtahBeehiver; 04-21-2013, 07:33 PM.
                    Russell
                    Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

It is going to be interesting certainly. On the flip side its a great place to find talented labor at a reasonable cost. Working on the house I pay the professional mason, my brother in law and the carpenter about $8 a day which is more than the going rate plus give them a daily cooked lunch of fish usually and veggies and rice. In other words they love working here. I can imagine an onion dome WFO and tell them the materials and proportions and how to do stuff but these guys do the project itself. Sometimes they suggest a better or more artistic way to do things. So this is one advantage I have which offsets some of the difficulties I face in this project.

Old pics.

Great metal work...

Communication can happen!

Good friends...

Last edited by Lancer; 04-21-2013, 05:14 PM.

Comment

Gudday
                        Type in "Tanzania/Canada into the search section of the forum and you will find a build which uses pumice insulation.

Regards dave
                        Measure twice
                        Cut once
                        Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
                        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
                        My Door
                        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

That is a good read, thanks cobblerdave.

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/sear...earchid=478079

I'm going to list here what I want to take on down the road...

Silica 38%
                          "The bricks are fired at about 900 degrees for about a month using smoldering rice husks."
                          "If you dont provide sideways thrust (buttressing) to an arch it will fail, build some fancy brickwork to the side of the arch."
                          "Steve, you should start the fires to eliminate the water from the oven before you do the stucco."
                          "Decide in haste, repent at leisure."
                          Last edited by Lancer; 04-22-2013, 03:30 PM.

Comment

Gudday
                            Add this one at the top of the list
                            Insulate Insulate and finally INSULATE!

Regards dave
                            Measure twice
                            Cut once
                            Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
                            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
                            My Door
                            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

I'm all over it cobblerdave, though I'm considering altering the insulating plan a bit. I'll have double plenty of vermiculite insulation in the floor as the floor will be raised into the onion dome to define the outward turn of the base of the dome. Then above outside the dome maybe 10" of vermiculite, why not? It will hopefully be cheaper than dirt on a volcanic island, yes? Then the outer coating and eventually the mosaic.

Thanks for the great advice cobblerdave!

Also I'm considering a method that will allow me to omit the brick supports of the arch. Since I'm making my own brick why not make some 12" long, or whatever, that will pass through the structure of the dome and sit on the short bricks of the dome getting support from all the above. I'll also put refractory cement on top of the arch bricks with metal bar and carry that bar into the structure of the dome.

The center of the arch bricks will have to be supported by those to the side and below as the chimney passes through that point, yes? The chimney itself will rise out of the refractory cement which carries the arch brick from above and while that might be heavy remember I'm bending the chimney back into the 10" of insulation and having it come out the top to help create the onion shape.

This might be fun, I'm going for it.

Hmm, I wonder if I could fire a single brick in the shape of the arch itself. The mold would be an interesting carpentry job.
                              Last edited by Lancer; 04-22-2013, 09:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Lancer View Post
                                metal bar and carry that bar into the structure of the dome.
                                Steel and ovens dont do well together unless you have the steel away from the heat and insulated.
                                The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Working...
                                X