Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lancer's Philippine Build, Close to Australia Anyhoo...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Lancer's Philippine Build, Close to Australia Anyhoo...

The onion isn't going to work, coming up with a new plan. Not easy to give it up but...maybe next time with a planned regular sized oven. Trying to figure a way to use the waste heat that goes out the chimney to dry the planned fuel donuts. In the process of making them out of rice hulls they are soaked in water to leach out the starches which bind the compressed stuff together. Normally they are hung out to dry for a few days but I have no place for this.

The plan is to have a chimney/chamber above the insulated oven space where the donuts can be set to dry. That made the onion impractical. So, back to the drawing board. Hope to come up with an interesting but non historical shape that will compliment the regular onion dome oven when we build it. Not easy to let go of this idea but, life goes on. To make a double chamber (oven/drier) oven the onion would have been about the size of one of those huge gas balloons people ride in. Aint gunna work.

Comment

Compromise isn't always a bad thing, but sorry you couldn't realize your vision. That's been pretty much the running theme on my oven. I'm back to cedar shakes for the roof instead of stone....it's a time issue. We are relocating and I don't have the extra time needed to do the stone....save it for the next one.
      Old World Stone & Garden

Current WFO build - Dry Stone Base & Gothic Vault

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
      John Ruskin

Comment

G'day Lancer
        Well I can't say I'm not disappointed about the onion dome... But its been your plan from the start to have "local" fuel source. So what's this about rice husk fuel donuts? .... Tell us more, that's sounds interesting.
        Regards dave
        Measure twice
        Cut once
        Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
        My Door
        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

stonecutter, you will do the stone roof and I will do the onion. Just has to be right. Your next place and my next oven...

cobblerdave, I'll do the onion, far from given up on it. That's a fact. Have already planned a second, more normal sized oven on site and it will be an onion dome.

The fuel source is free. There is an endless supply of rice husks here and I believe they can be compressed and fired as these folks have done...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8HBq-GQPIFY

Comment

Sho cutting brick a couple weeks ago before we ran out. Potter is making 200 more.

The intersection...

The long arch...

Last edited by Lancer; 03-18-2014, 05:10 AM.

Comment

Mortar work needs to be touched up and cleaned up with the wire brush. That does a great job cleaning. Don't have a pic of the inside of the oven yet but it looks good.

Sho thought this form out and did an excellent job with minimum materials. Sadly its not going out from the base to make an onion but what it will do is raise the height. With something over 4' in the oven level and under 4' in the drier level the total height will be over 8' from the bottom of the base. On top of that the chimney continues up a bit... Trying to enclose all that within an onion would be too much.

Pour is done. From this height I'm considering carrying the wall in a foot with a smooth arc and then going straight up to the top of the drier. There will be a poured floor in there and some shelves to hold the fuel.

Comment

G'day lancer
                Your such a " global " thinker..... How could you run out of bricks.? Big thinking.
                Your big and bold ... But I think you need to involve Sol.
                He is your partner ...... The" nuts and bolts man" include him. He an asset. He complements you.
                As always
                Regards dave
                Measure twice
                Cut once
                Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
                http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
                My Door
                http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

Sol the sun? We are waiting on him to dry the bricks. When the bricks are dried the potter will fire then, according to my understanding. Or Sho? He is involved in the construction, I'm involved in the design. Sho didn't tell me we were running out of bricks. A Filipino will almost never pass on bad news, even minor stuff. It will get built, and Sho has a week off because we're out of bricks.

You are right though, he's a great asset. Spent much of my work life swinging a hammer among other tools but masonry not so much. My bro in law being a mason is providence.

Thanks for your kind words cobbler. You and the other guys here make this possible in a big way. :b: We're like the tripod that supports this effort. You guys and your knowledge, Sho's hands on mason skills, and my design. Take away one leg of the tripod and we have nothing.
                  Last edited by Lancer; 03-18-2014, 07:16 AM.

Comment

Beautiful house and setting mate!

Love your pool!

keep up the good work!

Al
                    Fail to Prepare...Prepare to Fail!

Comment

Thanks Bert!

Comment

Hey Lancer,

When you get your oven built, you won't need to send out for these in the mornings :-)

Comment

Yeah Wambat, those look good! I can't wait...

Comment

Ninety bricks are ready but I think we'll wait until the coming week when all 200 are done.

In the meantime we've been building a walk in cooler for proofing dough. It will have an aircon stuck in the side and 8 inches of perlite insulation delivering R25. Basically 4" wide hollow block, 8" of space for perlite and then 2x3s and a hardiflex interior. Then as many shelves as we can fit.

Comment

Onwards and upwards. The scope of your project just keeps expanding. Gotta love a grand plan.
                              Cheers ......... Steve

Build Thread http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f3/n...erg-19151.html

Build Pics http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...1&l=1626b3f4f4

Forno Food Pics https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=1d5ce2a275

Comment

Thank you Greenman. I'm so immersed in the details I sometimes forget to love the project, "a grand plan". That takes the perspective of a long range view, like yours. Keeps me focused, above the daily grind. I really appreciate that.

Greenman, three days for dough, yes? Anyone?
                                Last edited by Lancer; 04-05-2014, 05:01 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X