Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lancer's Philippine Build, Close to Australia Anyhoo...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Lancer's Philippine Build, Close to Australia Anyhoo...

Originally posted by Greenman View Post
    Hey Lancer. There are a few crutches around, a bit like training wheels I suppose and they are all worth the using. All good and fine for the well practised professionals to do what they do but none post their failures.

It is all a learning curve and previously offered wisdom about making dough that suits your climate and oven is just so true. It is all about what works for where you are and how you do it.

There is probably some obscure place in Russia that makes the best pizza in the world, it is about the person and their skills rather than anything else.

With a bit of experimentation I am sure that you will have a local 'expert' in no time. Better to grow one than buy one.

Just my thoughts. Which ever way you go I expect that you will be a legend anyway!
    Hiya Greenman, well I don't mind owning up to my mistakes. Just part of life and people can advise and the outcome improve. The result is what matters to me. So far we've had almost no time to deal with the process of making pizzas. There are always projects and stuff going on. Right now my wife is in the US making some dough and will return in the winter sometime. She helps in organizing projects like that. In truth though, we have just been way too busy. Lets see, our laborer, Peter, has been finishing the walls in the laundry room and painting them white. Today I'm buying white tiles for the floor and "sparkly"-(wife) white tiles for the sink. Sho will install the tiles. Sho is currently installing tiles in the pool over a repair we made, he's pretty far along. Fidel is building a cabinet that I designed years ago but never got to.

Projects, projects. They're finally getting caught up.

Anyway when the work is all finished I'm off to Russia to get a pizza.
    Last edited by Lancer; 08-25-2014, 03:34 PM.

Comment

The roof of the insulation space and floor of the fuel drier is being formed and poured...

This is the floor of the form partially done. Its supported by 2x3s under.
      Once poured all that stuff has to be removed so that was a small trick, make things interesting.

In the center of the circle is, as you know, the chimney coming up.
      The big black piece of metal is 1/4" steel. It is the bottom part of a pizza keeper warmer box.
      It also is heated by waste heat from the chimney.

This is Fidel, our excellent carpenter. The poured refractory mix doesn't contact the brick, close though.
      Its all held up by a series of small posts, also refractory.
      Each post is at least 12" from the oven dome and that's a good amount of perlite insulation.
      The posts will be completely surrounded by perlite as well, except of course top and bottom.
      From above the posts you can see a wall defined by metal bar which rises from floor above the posts.
      This will be the fuel drier room. The trick is, what to build the racks out of which the fuel will sit on.
      I'm considering calling one of the welders who build the metal gates around here.
      Then again, might just buy a tig welder which I'll need for other purposes, tools and trays mostly.

Any advice on this? Ideas?

Last edited by Lancer; 09-29-2014, 02:39 AM.

Comment

These access points will allow removal of the wood and adding of the perlite. Theoretically it could all be dug out and maintenance done.

Comment

Pour starts. Buckets are being run from the mixer outside by 2 helpers. Fidel makes the pour...

Pour is done and the two the access points are visible, also poured.
          There is a space at the end of the floor where decorative work will be added.

That's all caught up, its as it stands right now. Work has moved on but will return in a week or two.
          Last edited by Lancer; 09-29-2014, 02:44 AM.

Comment

Looking good Lancer. Very interesting to see the progress and look forward to updates.

I am sure that you could find a decent pizza somewhere short of Russia!

There will be some good pizza coming out of that beast once you fire it up.
            Cheers ......... Steve

Build Thread http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f3/n...erg-19151.html

Build Pics http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...1&l=1626b3f4f4

Forno Food Pics https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=1d5ce2a275

Comment

G'day Lancer
              That is undoubtably the biggest pizza oven structure I have ever seen.... And it's not complete. Can't wait
              Thanks for the update
              Regards dave
              Measure twice
              Cut once
              Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
              My Door
              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

I Second Dave, this oven is huge, but so are you extended family parties. Thanks for the updates.
                Russell
                Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

I just hope it works guys, or its the dog house for me.

Comment

G'day lancer
                    You couldn't get a bigger, nicer looking dog house than that.....you and the dog would be quite comfortable in there.
                    Won't happen though, its coming together nicely, I'm still waiting to see a whole pig in that thing remember
                    Regards dave
                    Measure twice
                    Cut once
                    Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
                    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
                    My Door
                    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

Its my one consolation amigo, its a good dog and I'm always welcome.

The pig, yes! Looking forward to that too. Maybe in January-spring time frame if I were to make a wild prediction.

Comment

Here's Abby showing off her new dress and shoes and is completely tickled, enjoying every second.

New pot rack for the old pots in the bar. Took these a week ago, Fidel is further along now.
                        When the bar projects are done he will start building the form for the fuel drier on the pizza oven.
                        Currently there is being built into the air passage wall (left) a rack to hold the microwave and toaster oven to the left of the deep pot.
                        Microwave is now sitting on the bar to the right, the white thing.
                        Then the boards holding the deep pot are now on hinges and one can swing that away to get to extra storage space behind.
                        That project is maybe 2/3rds done and making a mess out of the bar this serene Sunday.
                        Likely finish, all painted, by Wednesday. Hope to get more pics late in the week.

All that crap sitting behind the microwave has to find a home.

This is an interesting thing.
                        Its an Armenian glass sword filled with Armenian brandy, one of my main home defense weapons for when the Chinese hit the beach.
                        It was a gift to Dolores from an elderly lady whom she served as a waitress.
                        I had Dell build the display and cut grooves for 2 dark blue rope lights which make it look really good at night.
                        Below is the new built into the wall glass rack for glasses without a stem.
                        In this pic its not yet finished. The rack opens and better lets through the breezes into the bar.
                        Hope to have up to date pics of this soon as well as a hanging wine glass rack we built after this.
                        That's all well and good but I really want to get back to the pizza oven.

Last edited by Lancer; 10-18-2014, 07:48 PM.

Comment

Abby and Auggy holding hands while tog (asleep) and looking too cute!

Here's another thing that was building last week, a second back lit wine bottle rack.
                          "Well lets see, we have a pink wine, still need an orange and if we can find a blue..."

Imagine, one of their relatives, an aunt, wanted to take Abby but not Auggy.
                          Would have broken both their hearts. I'm so glad we have them both to brighten our lives.

That's it, just a quick update.
                          Not much pizza about it except that the word pizza occurs twice iirc and the microwave could heat up pizza.
                          Now I'll take a look around the Aussie forum and see if I can find anything to say that some of the
                          world's foremost pizza oven experts haven't said already a hell of a lot better.
                          Yeah, good luck...
                          Last edited by Lancer; 10-18-2014, 07:49 PM.

Comment

Like. Would have hit the button but the pics pushed it off the page. Nothing like progress and the kids are heartbreakers!
                            Cheers ......... Steve

Build Thread http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f3/n...erg-19151.html

Build Pics http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...1&l=1626b3f4f4

Forno Food Pics https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=1d5ce2a275

Comment

I'm glad you like the progress Greenman. Yeah, great kids and Abby pretty much owns me. I'll be doing something important on the comp, like posting here, and she'll ask real nice if she can watch Peppa Pig and I just can't say no.

Comment

Thanks for the pics of your troups, but the brandy filled sword is very unique......
                                Russell
                                Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Working...
                                X