Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: house brick for stand, quick quetsion

Originally posted by deejayoh View Post
    As Stonecutter says, that's not going to crack your slab - but it is a surprising amount of heat going into the slab. Checked back in your thread and see you have 2 inches of cal-sil. Is that wet? Thinking that might be why your floor is not heating.
    yes it would be wet a bit, it was set on bed of mortar so that would bring some water in to it plus all the cleaning, etc would put more water in it.
    with all the troubles today i'm now not 100% sure how to go ahead with rest of my curing fires, dome seem to be just about ready for the big fire with today reading ~700F after mid size fire but having slab getting so hot i worry about starting same size fires tomorrow so i don't make the cracks even bigger so any tips on how to get that water out from my cal-sil boards would be great

Comment

Originally posted by CrocAu View Post
      yes it would be wet a bit, it was set on bed of mortar so that would bring some water in to it plus all the cleaning, etc would put more water in it.
      with all the troubles today i'm now not 100% sure how to go ahead with rest of my curing fires, dome seem to be just about ready for the big fire with today reading ~700F after mid size fire but having slab getting so hot i worry about starting same size fires tomorrow so i don't make the cracks even bigger so any tips on how to get that water out from my cal-sil boards would be great
      The first step will be don't let anymore water infiltrate the insulation. Then the next thing will be try and keep heat in the oven as long as possible...long burns to suck the water out of the insulation. You don't need an inferno either.
      Old World Stone & Garden

Current WFO build - Dry Stone Base & Gothic Vault

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
      John Ruskin

Comment

Originally posted by stonecutter View Post
        The first step will be don't let anymore water infiltrate the insulation. Then the next thing will be try and keep heat in the oven as long as possible...long burns to suck the water out of the insulation. You don't need an inferno either.
        other than final decorative render and latex paint all is done and finished so there is no more water going in to it and oven gets covered when i'm not around so nothing rains on it and good thing is that now dome retains a lot of heat overnight with door on.

Comment

If you can, pull up a couple of bricks from the floor and check the insulation with a moisture meter - just to see what you are dealing with.

Moisture meters are pretty cheap and good to have for checking firewood anyway.
          My build progress
          My WFO Journal on Facebook
          My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

Originally posted by deejayoh View Post
            If you can, pull up a couple of bricks from the floor and check the insulation with a moisture meter - just to see what you are dealing with.

Moisture meters are pretty cheap and good to have for checking firewood anyway.
            removing floor wont be possible, i have castable heatbank under the floor tiles that are seated on refreactory mortar so i will have to go by the ear (temperature)

today after almost 24hours of no fire whole oven was still around 200F and floor around 140F
            slab from below was around 90F

Comment

My largest crack at the back closed up fair bit, I would say it is about half the width. Would this indicate that it was my long day of mid size fire being the cause since gap got smaller after cool down? I guess that is sort of good news and all I have to worry about is to hide the cosmetic crack?

Comment

thinking now of building dog house to cover my oven
                got few questions

steel frame materials? bunnings will have it all?
                how would one attach bottom runner around concrete slab edge, is it safe to use dynabolts so close to the edge?

is there any cement sheeting i can use that wont need wire mesh to hold render and also how much space i need to leave for render

roof covering, what would be the easiest option and how to tackle flute penetration so it is sealed?

Comment

I can't speak to Oz supplies - but I built my housing out of steel studs. Attached the bottom runner with something they call "Tapcons" over here. They work great for cement anchors. Three or four per side did the trick.

I think others have used stucco right over concrete board on the housing - but personally, I went the extra step and used paper + mesh. Takes a couple hours and now I don't need to worry about my render chipping off in huge chunks!
                  My build progress
                  My WFO Journal on Facebook
                  My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

Croc,
                    If you're building a dog house around your oven then you are better to leave the outside porous and not add the rendered shell and waterproofing. That way it can breathe inside the doghouse. Regarding the flue seal where it will penetrate through the roof, you need a thing called a Decktite. Our local Bunnings has them, but if yours doesn't a plumbing supplies place will. If you have a single walled flue then get the orange one (higher temp rated) if using a double walled flue you can use the black one (lower temp rating)
                    Last edited by david s; 08-05-2013, 03:13 AM.
                    Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

yes I wont be doing render if i decide to go with dog house
                      does the dektite works well if i shoot my flute right in the center of roof ridge? or it has to be on flat side of the roof?

Comment

Originally posted by david s View Post
                        Colin,
                        If you're building a dog house around your oven then you are better to leave the outside porous and not add the rendered shell and waterproofing. That way it can breathe inside the doghouse. Regarding the flue seal where it will penetrate through the roof, you need a thing called a Decktite. Our local Bunnings has them, but if yours doesn't a plumbing supplies place will. If you have a single walled flue then get the orange one (higher temp rated) if using a double walled flue you can use the black one (lower temp rating)
                        David think you are referring to the wrong person?
                        Cheers Colin

My Build - Index to Major Build Stages

Comment

Originally posted by oasiscdm View Post
                          David think you are referring to the wrong person?
                          Oops, apologies for that. Thanks for picking up the error.

Croc,
                          The flue can go either through the ridge cap or further down, it depends how you build your roof and what is more convenient. The decktite seals to the roof with silicone and tek screws.
                          Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

i decided to go with very simple and cheap option that will be easy to install and also give option to add more protection from elements if needed
                            first i will render/seal my dome
                            then i will use flanged pool posts in the rear of my slab, and also at the front but with some 20cm setback and bit taller than the ones at the back to get rain moving down that direction
                            then will use same type of posts but without flanged bottom to build top frame and then finally mount some left over stratco colorbond sheeting i used in my old house for pergola.
                            this will give me good protection from top, also i will extend front fair bit past the oven entrance, simple one day job and if in future i find it isn't enough i can easily add side panels

doing so will leave my structural cracks in view so i'm going to tile the slab around, on the top i understand i should use some pvc underlay to prevent further movement around cracks from showing on tiles/grout but how do i tackle the vertical sides? to prevent this problem?

Comment

Originally posted by CrocAu View Post
                              doing so will leave my structural cracks in view so i'm going to tile the slab around, on the top i understand i should use some pvc underlay to prevent further movement around cracks from showing on tiles/grout but how do i tackle the vertical sides? to prevent this problem?
                              I had suggested this....

I recommend an exterior uncoupling layer, which will prevent any cracks from migrating through your tile and grout.

I don't know what is available to you over there but this is what I use.

Ditra
                              Old World Stone & Garden

Current WFO build - Dry Stone Base & Gothic Vault

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
                              John Ruskin

Comment

I had suggested this....

that's right, and i think it is great idea which is why i'm going to follow your suggestion just wondering if there is option for vertical surface to do provide same function

Comment

Working...
                                X