Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
    My Door
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

Re: New 36inch castable build in Brisbane

Sorry cobblerdave,

When you mentioned tiles, I was thinking of the 10mm variety. Having read more posts in other threads I see brick slabs are labelled tiles. I guess I need to learn the lingo...

Comment

Originally posted by Gulf View Post
        Will there be no structural concrete hearth layer to support the oven, lloor is this "Hebel Powerfloor" something I am not understanding?

Gulf

If you check my base build I to used hebel to construct the whole base and heath slab.. I
        Like what brissie had done though in using 2 layers. Hebel is so much easier to work than forming and laying a concrete hearth and as brissie pointed out provides added insulation.
        Last edited by oasiscdm; 09-30-2013, 07:24 PM.
        Cheers Colin

My Build - Index to Major Build Stages

Comment

I agree, it's not cheap though. About 1/3 weight of standard concrete so probably about 1/3 strength too. 6 mm reo cast into it is rather inadequate IMO. Two layers should be plenty. I used 70mm Hebel power panel for my mobile oven as both structural and insulating layer, apart from the 1" vermiculite between the floor and the Hebel, in an effort to save weight. I am a bit disappointed as it's proved inadequate regarding strength. It has cracked quite badly although it doesn't really matter as it's contained in a steel cradle. Not sure whether the cracks have occurred because of heat or going over rough roads and speed bumps. Suggest if you are using Hebel to have support under the middle of it as well as the sides.
          Last edited by david s; 09-30-2013, 09:25 PM.
          Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

David.

I would has at a guess its the rough roads and speed humps.

Looking at Brissie's photo's he has has plenty of support. I would use Hebel adhesive instead of liquid nails as Hebel adhesive creates one solid mass whereas the liquid nails won't.

Shame brissie I have enough adhesive left but your along way away.

I found it cheaper as I needed mini mix, worked out a little cheaper. Mixing the concrete yourself though well no comparison. It was meant to replace brick walls and concrete floors. So is substantially cheaper than those.
            Last edited by oasiscdm; 09-30-2013, 07:27 PM.
            Cheers Colin

Comment

Originally posted by david s View Post
              I agree, it's not cheap though. About 1/3 weight of standard concrete so probably about 1/3 strength too. 6 mm reo cast into it is rather inadequate IMO. Two layers should be plenty. I used 75mm Hebel power panel for my mobile oven as both structural and insulating layer, apart from the 1" vermiculite between the floor and the Hebel, in an effort to save weight. I am a bit disappointed as it's proved inadequate regarding strength. It has cracked quite badly although it doesn't really matter as it's contained in a steel cradle. Not sure whether the cracks have occurred because of heat or going over rough roads and speed bumps. Suggest if you are using Hebel to have support under the middle of it as well as the sides.
              Gudday
              I agree with Davids . I would go with some joists even though Hebel claim is that hebel can span up to 5 mtres with no joists. But with on oven sitting on it? An oven would weigh more than any piece of furniture . I couldn't pull up the tec spec without a login but I bet you couldn't put a piano on it.
              Bunnings had hebel in there stores for a while and don't stock them now as I recon the public cracked and broke more than they sold. I like the stuff but you have to be gentle with it , it breaks so easy.
              By the way I have it as insulation under my oven and made an insulated door of hebel so I'd do like the stuff.
              Regards dave
              Last edited by cobblerdave; 09-30-2013, 08:27 PM.
              Measure twice
              Cut once
              Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
              My Door
              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

Your supporting column in the middle should be sufficient. The other joists have me a little worried. They look like pine, but if they're steel, ok. You could also easily cantilever the Hebel slabs about 100mm or so over the outside of the stand if you want more room. There's not much weight in the outside of the oven..
                If you are keen to use the liquid nails get Liquid Nails Landscape. it is designed for masonry and is incredibly strong. I would use it in preference to the Hebel glue, that stuff is difficult to apply because the Hebel sucks the water from it in an instant.(sorry Colin)
                Last edited by david s; 09-30-2013, 10:07 PM. Reason: Oops, just seen your pics.

Comment

Disagree David.. the Hebel adhesive is meant to work with the product, creating a monolithic bond. I found applied correctly I had working time. The laid nails will work but does not provide a solid mass of that it's the right terminology.

In brissie application it will work but I would have used the adhesive. I didn't find out sucking the moisture out at least not like the fire bricks did.

I even tested it on some blocks scraps, then break them a week later and it broke not along the bond. Enough proof of hebel claim.

Anyhow, looking good brissie. Keep photos coming.
                  Cheers Colin

Comment

Originally posted by oasiscdm View Post
                    Disagree David.. the Hebel adhesive is meant to work with the product, creating a monolithic bond. I found applied correctly I had working time. The laid nails will work but does not provide a solid mass of that it's the right terminology.

In brissie application it will work but I would have used the adhesive. I didn't find out sucking the moisture out at least not like the fire bricks did.

I even tested it on some blocks scraps, then break them a week later and it broke not along the bond. Enough proof of hebel claim.

Anyhow, looking good brissie. Keep photos coming.
                    Actually Colin I think you are right. Now when I thought about it more, I think it was a normal mortar that I had trouble with in conjunction with the Hebel. I have used the Hebel adhesive though. It was at least 6 years ago. (getting old)

Comment

Added the top two Hebel boards last night.

Ran out of liquid nails, 3 tubes. the rough texture sucks up adhesive. The structure should be sound though. No side movement, and with an oven on top I don't think it will go anywhere. I did pay attention to the layering detail, placing the steel under the load points. the dome walls will be sitting over the walls or steel sections. First time I have worked with Hebel. Checking the product specifications is difficult.

It looks like its R value is about 0.7, so two boards will be effective in keeping some heat in. If I started again I would drop the steel and internal block wall down a bit, and place a layer of glass bats between the two boards, with a few cut hebel blocks under the load points. That would be very effective insulation. Construction strength would be much the same.
                      Last edited by brissie; 10-01-2013, 03:33 AM.

Comment

Looks good Brissie.
                        Cheers Colin

Comment

Originally posted by brissie View Post
                          and place a layer of glass bats between the two boards,
                          Once its compressed its useless.
                          The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Originally posted by brissie View Post
                            a layer of glass bats between the two boards, with a few cut hebel blocks under the load points.
                            built this way the glass bats won't compress. I used a similar, system to insulate under the floor of my first oven. It worked pretty well.

Comment

The image is an overview of the oven. I may cast it over the weekend.
                              It is conceptual. Originally I created 80 mm walls now 50mm . Castable is expensive, so the reality is that the walls will be 50+ mm thick. The image shows to scale to the 80mm design. With some alterations at a 50mm thickness.

Domes are hard to do with slumping concrete. so will form a conical section on the start of the dome with form work, and build remaining dome on the lower layer support.
                              Last edited by brissie; 10-04-2013, 07:52 AM.

Comment

You can always clad the 50mm wall thickness in concrete using fine aggregate (7 mm blue metal) and 50/50 lime and cement. Use 6:4:1:1 aggregate,sand,lime cement. This is a cheaper way of making the walls a bit thicker. Work up to a stiff mix and apply by hand. It will stand up by itself vertically if applied by hand to a thickness of around an inch and a half. The lime kills the skin on your hands though, wear gloves or a barrier cream. You can also do the dome with the castable mix in this way without having an outside mould. Just start at the bottom and work your way around. The stuff goes off so fast that working in small batches will stiffen up pretty quickly to support your next lot as you rise up the dome sides. Wriggle the stuff against the mould to avoid getting voids.

Comment

Working...
                                X