Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New 36inch castable build in Brisbane

Originally posted by stonecutter View Post
    I'm not sure if you are leaving the backer rod in place, but if you do, it will melt. Ceramic rope works well as expansion gasket,and you can slurry paint it to encapsulate the fibers. Looking good..this has got me interested in casting a dome.
    No the rubber is out, The ceramic rope sounds good if you can protect the fibres. Can't seam to find ceramic rope in Aus, haven't looked to hard though. Fibre glass rope is available, the temperature rating is 500 C, 1000 F. Not sure if 500 C temp would be good enough, with heat going up the flue.

Comment

There's a few places in Melbourne that do Google ceramic and refractory Victoria.
      Cheers Colin

My Build - Index to Major Build Stages

Comment

Originally posted by brissie View Post
        Fibre glass rope is available,
        I melted some on my oven entry....
        The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

This is a very interesting build brissie,keep up the great work.
          --------------

John

My Build ......... http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ney-20053.html

Comment

Decided to add extra thickness to the insulation. I used a box of 6.2M * 600* 25mm ceramic fibre, that worked out as 50mm over most of the dome, and 100mm of 10:1 Vermiculite over the fibre. I added concrete supports on the two sides. Galvanised screws into the hebel and concrete help support the extra dome width.

A screed pivot rod fits into a dimple in the castable. It was slightly out of centre, so needed to bend the rod to centre it.

Photos below.

Comment

Have done most of the insulation, still need to finish the flue area, but its starting to look good.

The oven used over 400 litres of vermiculite, that's more then I expected and needed to get more to finish the dome. The oven should hold heat given the addition of heat breaks and thick insulation. It will be interesting to see how it performs when the oven has been fired up and water has been driven out. I don't plan on doing the render until a month or two, and oven has had time to cure.

Comment

Here is a curved trowel I made to help place the vcrete/pcrete on the dome. Gulf actually attached his dome template like the one you built. I had a template as well but only used it as a visual guide and used the curved trowel as my main means of installing the pcrete. Looks good.

Never mind, I did not look at your last pic, you are already there.
                Russell
                Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Originally posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
                  Here is a curved trowel I made to help place the vcrete/pcrete on the dome.
                  Thanks, I did see your invention before starting, but decided against implementing it. Perhaps that is why some of the lower bits of my dome will need some patching.

I did use Gulf's screed idea, no way was I going to get a reasonable half sphere by eye.

By the way I checked out your build. Its fantastic, great detail... good job.

Comment

Hi Brissie,

I notice that like my oven, the insulating layer diameter ended up bigger than the slab allowed. I resolved this by getting a couple of Hebel bricks and gluing this against the stand and shaping the Hebel to fit(Hebel in place of supports in your photo).

Ended up with an effect like it was meant to be like that. I then rendered over and it came up a treat.

Cheers

Craig
                    "All I ask is the chance to prove that money can't make me happy"

Spike Milligan

"It is only impossible if you stop and think about it"
                    The Pirate Captain

Comment

Originally posted by BOOMERS WFO View Post
                      Hi Brissie,

I notice that like my oven, the insulating layer diameter ended up bigger than the slab allowed. I resolved this by getting a couple of Hebel bricks and gluing this against the stand and shaping the Hebel to fit(Hebel in place of supports in your photo).

Ended up with an effect like it was meant to be like that. I then rendered over and it came up a treat.

Cheers

Craig
                      Thanks for commenting Craig, I didn't have hebel glue, and didn't trust liquid nails, so decided on the screw option. For the concrete to dislodge its going to take a lot of hebel with it. Its part of the dome now so should hold up.

Cheers,

Comment

I wanted to seal the top against water, as the oven is out side. Used liquid flash to seal the lower parts of the rear of the dome and entry. I am building the landing up to the hight of the hearth with a slight fall outwards. Concrete and tiles will be 100mm on top.

The flashing will help stop water hitting the calsil board. I will be either working or sleeping over most of the weekend, so won't get mush chance to do much on the oven.

Some Photos :

Comment

Managed to get the landing and oven rear concrete poured, and plastered ready for tiles.

Comment

Gudday
                            I'm really taken with the appearance of you oven, it is truly unique. The transition being rounded as the dome balances the oven well.
                            Could I suggest something . The domes wider than the stand, but the round shape stops suddenly. It would be nice to continue that round shape back to the stand and you would the effect of a large round ball intersecting your stand. You could use hebel glued under the extension section to achieve this shape.
                            If I haven't made myself clear please say so and I'll post a drawing of what I mean.
                            Regards dave
                            Measure twice
                            Cut once
                            Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
                            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
                            My Door
                            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

Originally posted by cobblerdave View Post
                              Gudday
                              I'm really taken with the appearance of you oven, it is truly unique. The transition being rounded as the dome balances the oven well.
                              Could I suggest something . The domes wider than the stand, but the round shape stops suddenly. It would be nice to continue that round shape back to the stand and you would the effect of a large round ball intersecting your stand. You could use hebel glued under the extension section to achieve this shape.
                              If I haven't made myself clear please say so and I'll post a drawing of what I mean.
                              Regards dave
                              I know what you are getting at. Originally I was going to trim the sides flush, and add extra ceramic fibre to compensate for thinner insulating walls at the sides. It didn't work out that way, and decided to add width. I am thinking I will add some buttress shape/support thing to aide the visual appeal. Not sure yet, still working it out. Any ideas welcome.

I did see somewhere on this forum, a Japanese dome with conical support section blended with the overhang, It looked cool. Perhaps a carved Heabel support is the the way to go.

Cheers,
                              Steve.

Comment

Started the oven cure yesterday, got the oven walls to about 180 c, over an 8 hour period. This morning the oven is 130 top of the dome 100 on the walls 8 hour later. Had a few bricks in the door way around the gas burner.

I built a temporary roof to allow me to cure the dome and not worry about rain. Brisbane weather is unpredictable, afternoon storms can come from nowhere.

Comment

Working...
                                X