Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New 36inch castable build in Brisbane

Hi Brissie

You mean storms like we are getting now? Good to get some rain at last at least!

Mark
    My build --> http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/6/fi...d-20033-1.html

Comment

Finished the front landing, and started another round of oven curing. The dome walls where still at 85 c, late today. Started the gas burner, currently the walls are 250 c, after a couple of hours.

The temporary roof works well, it looks like we have a few days of rain, so this will allow me to continue to cure oven.
      Last edited by brissie; 11-10-2013, 04:56 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by mnl View Post
        Hi Brissie

You mean storms like we are getting now? Good to get some rain at last at least!

Mark
        Yep. Brisbane weather...

Comment

I have watched your build with interest. It looks good and it will be interesting to see how it settles in when you start using it. I am sure that you will find the completion of the oven just the start of the WFO experience. Mine gets plenty of use and my gas use has dropped to near nothing since I finished it.

Congratulations on the rain, Bundy is dry as a chip. Dry enough to have a total fire ban imposed. I clarified it with the Fire & Rescue folk about lighting the forno and was told that it would be ok provided it was attended. I interpreted that as attended until the big door is put in place. Nice to get some common sense decisions from those in authority.

It seems that there is plenty more rain for Brisbane in the next few days and here's hoping some finds its way here.

Enjoy your new oven.
          Cheers ......... Steve

Build Thread http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f3/n...erg-19151.html

Build Pics http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...1&l=1626b3f4f4

Forno Food Pics https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=1d5ce2a275

Comment

Originally posted by Greenman View Post
            I have watched your build with interest. It looks good and it will be interesting to see how it settles in when you start using it. I am sure that you will find the completion of the oven just the start of the WFO experience. Mine gets plenty of use and my gas use has dropped to near nothing since I finished it.

Congratulations on the rain, Bundy is dry as a chip. Dry enough to have a total fire ban imposed. I clarified it with the Fire & Rescue folk about lighting the forno and was told that it would be ok provided it was attended. I interpreted that as attended until the big door is put in place. Nice to get some common sense decisions from those in authority.

It seems that there is plenty more rain for Brisbane in the next few days and here's hoping some finds its way here.

Enjoy your new oven.
            Hi Steve, yes I hope the oven runs well, I am not in to much of a hurry but think I will get to my first pizza within a week. Still some work to do to finish it. This weekend I plan a clean up, haven't done much around the house for a while. The oven has taken over for the 6 weeks or more.

Hope you get some of the rain, much of the east coast may get some according to the BOM. You might get lucky...

I am looking at doors at the moment, yours looks good. I think I will pinch your ideas, if that is okay. I did create a heabel one, but it is soft, so looking at something a little more sturdy.

Cheers,

Steve.
            Last edited by brissie; 11-12-2013, 03:09 AM.

Comment

I am happy with the door and the only improvement I have considered is to put a C/F rope seal on where it meets the inner arch. Other than that it works well and keeps the heat in.

Happy to share what works.
              Cheers ......... Steve

Build Thread http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f3/n...erg-19151.html

Build Pics http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...1&l=1626b3f4f4

Forno Food Pics https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=1d5ce2a275

Comment

The oven has been fired most days this week. I am still amassed at the amount of water exiting the dome. The blue tarp touches in places, and it's still dripping with condensate water at contact points after a fire.

Cooked dinner last night, chicken, potatoes, and corn. Built up the fire and cleared the dome, the oven is still 200 c this morning. I think we have pizza tonight

Comment

Looks great Steve. I'm very envious and you have given me something to aspire too!
                  My build --> http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/6/fi...d-20033-1.html

Comment

Originally posted by mnl View Post
                    Looks great Steve. I'm very envious and you have given me something to aspire too!
                    Thanks mnl, we cooked pizza tonight. Photos to following.

Steve.

Comment

• Re: New 36inch castable build in Brisbane

First pizza's tonight. The first cooked in about 30 seconds flat, the hearth was about 500 c. Way to hot, burnt the bottom a bit of the margherita, but it still tasted good around the black bits.

It looks like under 400 c, is a good place to be for the hearth. The walls of the oven where about 400 to 500c over the cooking period.

The family did most of the pizza topping. We did 11 pizzas, all eaten.

Photos below.

Comment

Yum looks good think i'm hungry......
                        Cheers Colin

My Build - Index to Major Build Stages

Comment

This is the first time to see the oven as it relates to other outdoor spaces. You really have a nice set up--large covered outdoor spaces and the oven near. Are you going to do anything special to waterproof your oven or will you be building a roof structure over it?

Really nice to have children to enjoy the fruits of your labor! Everything looks great.

My oven is back inside on casters, I finally decided on a final location for my oven, but it requires that my old wood storage shelter be disassembled and a lot of work to build a new one with space for the oven. Glad to have a few days off to work on it. Really need a couple of months, but days off really help!

Comment

Originally posted by brissie View Post
                            First pizza's tonight. The first cooked in about 30 seconds flat, the hearth was about 500 c. Way to hot, burnt the bottom a bit of the margherita, but it still tasted good around the black bits.

It looks like under 400 c, is a good place to be for the hearth. The walls of the oven where about 400 to 500c over the cooking period.

The family did most of the pizza topping. We did 11 pizzas, all eaten.

Photos below.
                            First pizza is a bit like the first pancake in a frypan, that is, not perfect. It always amuses me when some greedy fat kid demands to have the first pizza and you know it won't be your best of the night, fair justice I say. Try the semolina test i.e. cast a little semolina into the centre of the oven floor. For perfect floor temp the semolina should turn black suddenly after 3 secs. 2 secs = too hot, 4 secs = not hot enough. You can also simply pull the first pizza into the entry a little where the floor is a bit cooler, then for subsequent pizzas push them in a little deeper.Some leoparding on the bottom is usually a desirable wood fired pizza feature.
                            Last edited by david s; 11-17-2013, 01:40 PM.
                            Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Originally posted by mikku View Post
                              This is the first time to see the oven as it relates to other outdoor spaces. You really have a nice set up--large covered outdoor spaces and the oven near. Are you going to do anything special to waterproof your oven or will you be building a roof structure over it?

Really nice to have children to enjoy the fruits of your labor! Everything looks great.

My oven is back inside on casters, I finally decided on a final location for my oven, but it requires that my old wood storage shelter be disassembled and a lot of work to build a new one with space for the oven. Glad to have a few days off to work on it. Really need a couple of months, but days off really help!
                              Hi Mikku, - yes the space is good, and kids like making pizza. still not sure on how to finish the oven. I will wait a few weeks to make sure all water is removed. I plan on putting a vent at the top of the dome, but still not sure of the best way to seal the render.

The oven will not have a roof. Perhaps I will plaster it with 20 mm of acrylic/cement based plaster with a water proof additive. The top coat will be a thin skim coat with a blue oxide,white cement,lime,silver sand, to finish. Perhaps I will use a sealer like this one : Bondall Natural Finish Sealer over the top. Any advise is welcome on the best way to finish it off.

Hope your oven setup works out. It does take time, we just don't have enough time to do all that is to be done.

Cheers,

Steve.
                              Last edited by brissie; 11-18-2013, 03:37 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by david s View Post
                                First pizza is a bit like the first pancake in a frypan, that is, not perfect. It always amuses me when some greedy fat kid demands to have the first pizza and you know it won't be your best of the night, fair justice I say. Try the semolina test i.e. cast a little semolina into the centre of the oven floor. For perfect floor temp the semolina should turn black suddenly after 3 secs. 2 secs = too hot, 4 secs = not hot enough. You can also simply pull the first pizza into the entry a little where the floor is a bit cooler, then for subsequent pizzas push them in a little deeper.Some leoparding on the bottom is usually a desirable wood fired pizza feature.
                                Good tips David, and probably more accurate then thermocouples all over the place. I am going to keep it simple probably put a thermometer in a door for a quick visual idea of how the temperature is going when baking, but use tips like yours, established ways to get cooking on track. In the end simple is almost always good.

Comment

Working...
                                X