X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• chubbybones
    replied
    Re: Alan Scott oven in sydney

I finally got the vermicrete done over the dome.I'll give that some time to set now and then ill do a final render with some sort of waterproofing additive.
    As you can see the final design of the build is starting to come to light.Its meshing well with the existing bbq area.
    I still have a few touches left but all in all,we're nearly there.

Cheers ,John

Leave a comment:

• chubbybones
    replied

Originally posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
    Fruits of your hard labor......kudos to you. If I remember right some of your WFOs mates found local brands of flour doing just as well as the expensive imported 00 Caputo.
    Thanks Russell,

You're right,tasting that first pizza makes it all worthwhile.I can't wait to try a variety of foods in this bad boy.The way i see it ,there's only one drawback from owning a WFO and that's going to be trying not to put on weight
    I actually found a decent Caputo supplier in Sydney at a good price so i will give it a go.

Cheers,John

Leave a comment:

• UtahBeehiver
    replied

Fruits of your hard labor......kudos to you. If I remember right some of your WFOs mates found local brands of flour doing just as well as the expensive imported 00 Caputo.

Leave a comment:

• chubbybones
    replied

First attempt at pizza today.Keep in mind i only used normal flour for testing purposes and a pretty standard dough recipe,not a true pizza di napoli.I will try the high temp dough recipe next.But all things considered it was very tasty,i was pretty happy.
    The way i see it,things can only get better from here.

The oven took a good 3 hrs to get to temperature and as soon as i put the first pizza came out,temps started to drop.Im guessing my oven still has a way to go to get to proper cooking temperature.

Cheers John

Leave a comment:

• chubbybones
    replied

Well today was my second day of starting a woodfire in the oven.
    Yesterday i kept a steady fire of 100-200 `C for around 6 hrs.
    Today i ramped it up to range from 150-300`C over another 6 hr period.
    The dome cleared right at the end so that was good to see.So far no cracks inside the oven(fingers crossed).
    This morning however when i started the fire i got a lot of smoke for around 45 mins as i piled on the larger pieces of wood.The oven had obviously cooled down too much from the night before.This made bringing it up to temp a little more of a hassle with all the billowing smoke(was a windy day here today).
    I think tonight i will throw in some charcoal to keep it warm throughout the night so as to allow for an easier ignition tomorrow.
    I will probably taker it to 350`C tomorrow.

Cheers John.

Leave a comment:

• chubbybones
    replied

Originally posted by mnl View Post
    Hi John

What are you using to measure temperature? Are you just using an indeed gun? If so, where did you get it?

Anybody else feel free to jump in.

Regards

Mark
    Hey Mark,
    At the moment all im using is an in-oven dial thermometer sitting on my hearth while i wait for my infrared gun to arrive.Hopefully it will get here soon.
    I actually bought an el-cheapo version off ebay.Will let you know if its any good.

Infrared Digital Oven Meat Fridge IR Thermometer GUN Probe Laser Ecalibration | eBay

Cheers John.

Leave a comment:

• oasiscdm
    replied

Hi Mark

50:1 Dual Laser Infrared Thermometer 1200C Software USB on eBay!

This is what I purchased it is way more than I needed but I got it because you can plug a thermocouple into it. works a treat and is very accurate. Comes with a type K thermocouple. I purchased a Thermocouple stainless steel probe which I slide into the Thermowells I made and positioned at various points in the oven. SWMBO paid around $150 for it on special.

One purchase allows me to do multiple things with it.
    Last edited by oasiscdm; 12-17-2013, 04:32 AM.

Leave a comment:

• mnl
    replied

Hi John

What are you using to measure temperature? Are you just using an indeed gun? If so, where did you get it?

Anybody else feel free to jump in.

Regards

Mark

Leave a comment:

• oasiscdm
    replied

Hi CB

I know the feeling have sent SWMBO out today to get another box of heat beads toss them in bag and all when I get home. I chucked 3 bags in last night when I got back from the men's group I facilitate [about 11pm].

The oven was around 180c when I got home at 11pm without heat from around midday.

I threw 2 bags in this morning. Then will toss 2-4 in tonight. Maybe a little wood before I go to bed.

I also erected a cover over the oven so I can keep the plastic off it [found it saturates the blanket with condensation]. Made it so I can take it up and down easily [rope pullies] as we are in for 3 hot days coming up.

This hopefully will dry up the blanket. My aim is to keep it around that 300 - 350c mark for a number of days before I go away this weekend overnight.

Leave a comment:

• chubbybones
    replied

Had a steady low heat going all day yesterday reaching an internal temperature of 320` C at 11pm last night when i closed the door.This morning at 7.30 am it was at 220`C.Not bad for more than 8 hrs later?
    Ive been using so much charcoal ,the guy at bunnings was giving me strange looks every time i pop in there to buy another 20 kg of the stuff .

Leave a comment:

• chubbybones
    replied

Originally posted by mnl View Post
    Be patient John. I had wanted to get there by Christmas, but know now it is not possible. Just think, even though it is Christmas, it is only a week to wait for an oven that hopefully you will have for 10 years +.

Not sure, but maybe the other option, if you were planning on cooking Christmas dinner in it, you could use it for Christmas before putting your layer of vermimix over the top so you did not have to give it the week to dry?
    Yea i know you're right, its just so damn close i can smell it!
    I may still be able to do it if i lay the vermicrete tomorrow but if i need to hold off for chrissy i will for the sake of the longevity of the oven.

I did consider waiting until after christmas to put down the vermicrete but i just didnt think it would be able to hold a decent temperature required for a party without the proper insulation.

oh well,im going to play it by ear.
    Thanks for the advice.

Leave a comment:

• mnl
    replied

Be patient John. I had wanted to get there by Christmas, but know now it is not possible. Just think, even though it is Christmas, it is only a week to wait for an oven that hopefully you will have for 10 years +.

Not sure, but maybe the other option, if you were planning on cooking Christmas dinner in it, you could use it for Christmas before putting your layer of vermimix over the top so you did not have to give it the week to dry?

Leave a comment:

• chubbybones
    replied

Damn i really wanted to make it by christmas,ill be pushing it.

Leave a comment:

• david s
    replied

I like to give it a week to allow the sun and wind to remove some of the water before fires. You have about three times more water in the mix than is required for hydration so there is little point in covering it to retain moisture for strength.

Leave a comment:

• chubbybones
    replied

Sounds good david,ta
    How soon after applying the vermi mix can i re-ignite a fire inside?
    Cheers.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X