X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• brickie in oz
    replied
    Re: Alan Scott oven in sydney

How are you going to stop the weight on the arch from pushing it out sideways?

Leave a comment:

• chubbybones
    replied

Today was another day of curing.
    I increased the temp. to 150 degrees Celcius and kept it there all day.
    I started to get condensation on the underside of the plastic around 3 hrs into it.Now 3 hrs after that i have no more condensation on the plastic.But im not sure if that means i'm in the clear just yet.

Tomorrow i will probably step it up to 175` Celcius.

Cheers John.

Leave a comment:

• oasiscdm
    replied

Just found a use for a second gas cylinder fuse.

Leave a comment:

• chubbybones
    replied

Originally posted by david s View Post
    That is a really dangerous combination. I wouldn't have said anything because the forum has asked people not to discuss the use of gas and ovens for safety reasons. Without a flame failure device fitted to your burner and I see you don't have one, if your burner goes out, you fill the hot oven with gas and you also have live fire in an enclosed chamber, you will have an explosion. If others follow your method you could be responsible for someone else's accident.
    Hey david,
    I didnt mean to suggest i would use them both at the same time but i can see how it could be interpreted as such so thanks for clarifying.

Just to be clear to others reading my curing process i intend on using the burner and the heat beads independent to one another.I definately wont be using them at the same time.It can be extremely dangerous.

Once again thanks to david for making that clear.

Leave a comment:

• david s
    replied

Originally posted by chubbybones View Post
    Thanks Colin,
    Yea the burner really seems to do the trick so far,very handy.I will probably use some heat beads aswell to help spread out the heat .
    That is a really dangerous combination. I wouldn't have said anything because the forum has asked people not to discuss the use of gas and ovens for safety reasons. Without a flame failure device fitted to your burner and I see you don't have one, if your burner goes out, you fill the hot oven with gas and you also have live fire in an enclosed chamber, you will have an explosion. If others follow your method you could be responsible for someone else's accident.
    Last edited by david s; 12-12-2013, 05:20 AM.

Leave a comment:

• oasiscdm
    replied

Thanks John

But sometimes attention to detail is a pain in the ass as everything takes longer getting to where we all want to be........

Leave a comment:

• chubbybones
    replied

Thanks Colin,
    Yea the burner really seems to do the trick so far,very handy.I will probably use some heat beads aswell to help spread out the heat more evenly especially on the hearth.
    Im sure your door will come out looking great just like the rest of your build.I really like your attention to detail.
    Cheers John.

Leave a comment:

• oasiscdm
    replied

Nice work John - There's that Curing Device again

I especially Like the door, I'm doing that this weekend. Suggestion hit the hebel with some hi temp paint assuming it does not give off fumes.

Leave a comment:

• chubbybones
    replied

Hey guys,
    Bit of progress.I managed to get the dome wrapped in 2 layers of CF blanket.Used a lot of screws and wires to hold it down but it did the job.

Also got the majority of the chimney done in brickwork.It looks a bit bulky right now but it will get balanced out when i do more work with sandstone around the base of the oven and also give it a layer of vermi-crete over the dome.This will bring it into proportion.

I started curing today with a ring burner and had it on very low flames .I went easy to start with and kept it at 100 degrees celcius for most of the day.I will start stepping it up from tomorrow and add the vermicrete layer sometime soon after.
    Cheers,John.

Leave a comment:

• chubbybones
    replied

Ideally it would be nice to be ready by chrissy.If all goes to plan i could probably make it.I have insulation to go and some curing but Sydney weather is saying otherwise.
    See how it goes,fingers crossed

Leave a comment:

• mnl
    replied

Hope you do get it done. My aim had been to get it done by Christmas, but don't think I going to make it. At least with things being a bit quiet between Christmas and New Years, should get some time to work on it. Maybe my new aim should be pizza on New Years Eve.

Leave a comment:

• cobblerdave
    replied

Originally posted by mnl View Post
    Looks good. Do you think you are any chance of having it done by Christmas?
    Gudday
    Why not! Missing a bit of insulation and a chimney but the working bits are there. No different to any old school oven with no insulation or chimney really.
    Myself I would be starting the curing now, adding masses of insulation to a still damp oven shell only lengthens the process. Better to start early and whilst you about it cook something can't waste that heat can you.
    Regards dave

Leave a comment:

• mnl
    replied

Looks good. Do you think you are any chance of having it done by Christmas?

Leave a comment:

• chubbybones
    replied

I was still a little undecided what to do with the landing so i had an old piece of marble which i cut to fit in there and supported it with more concrete.I tried to shape it accordingly.

I also took a stab at a door.I used cobblerdave's quick method by fixing some hebel to some ply and stained it.

Regards,John

Leave a comment:

• chubbybones
    replied

Originally posted by brickie in oz View Post
    Unfortunately those concrete pads look like there are going to suck the heat right out of the oven as they look like they are touching the hearth bricks..
    Hey Al,
    I actually put some vermi mix in there about 20mm thick.Hard to tell from the photos.
    Cheers,john.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X