• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• oasiscdm
    replied
    Re: Alan Scott oven in sydney

Originally posted by david s View Post
    As your vermicrete over the dome is not really structural, it only needs to hold the grains in place so you can render over it. The problem is removing the water so plenty of wind and sun on it is what you want. If it were mine I'd start heating it up from the inside too, so that the water will be pushed out. Use the heat to do some roasting and baking while you're about it. Wait until the oven is pretty dry before going for pizza temperatures or doing your rendered shell on the outside.
    That's what I have been doing...sun outside and fire inside and i'm not getting any moisture on the plastic cover. Just need to give it to the oven now according to you guys, I've been firing now since the 15th.

Leave a comment:

• chubbybones
    replied

Sounds like good advice,cheers.
    That's exactly what i'll do.Start some low temp fires and gradually build back up to pizza temps again.

Regards,John.

Leave a comment:

• david s
    replied

As your vermicrete over the dome is not really structural, it only needs to hold the grains in place so you can render over it. The problem is removing the water so plenty of wind and sun on it is what you want. If it were mine I'd start heating it up from the inside too, so that the water will be pushed out. Use the heat to do some roasting and baking while you're about it. Wait until the oven is pretty dry before going for pizza temperatures or doing your rendered shell on the outside.

Leave a comment:

• cobblerdave
    replied

Gudday John
    I don't know. I think this one is your call. The positive is that has been fired before but its a big mass of both firebrick and insulation. Be cautious with your fires, low and slow is what I would say.
    Regards dave

Leave a comment:

• chubbybones
    replied

Sounds like bad weather for you guys,hopefully all is well.

Just a quick question for you guys.As you know i just put on the last layer of vermi-mix insulation over the dome a couple of days ago.When do you think it would be ok to start firing up the oven again and resuming cooking duties ?

Cheers John.

Leave a comment:

• mnl
    replied

Not sure about you guys, but it has just started to pour in Albany Creek, but not sure how long it will last. Also have been without power for about half and hour.

Leave a comment:

• cobblerdave
    replied

Originally posted by brissie View Post
    Looking good. The blue tarp or cover, and time I think are required if you want to minimise cracks and keeping the water out. I sealed the final render to early and have some minor cracking.

Decisions - do I put the tarp on or off!. Weather can be hard to predict.

Keep up the good work.
    Gudday Brissy
    Been watching the BOM site for a while now ( the 125 km Mt Stapleton radar) plenty of promise , lots of lightning, but no rain of any note! Wish it would just pour and give us relief from the heat. My ovens tucked away, storm door and chimney covered ..... Bring it on ... Please no hail.!!
    Regards dave

Leave a comment:

• brissie
    replied

Looking good. The blue tarp or cover, and time I think are required if you want to minimise cracks and keeping the water out. I sealed the final render to early and have some minor cracking.

Decisions - do I put the tarp on or off!. Weather can be hard to predict.

Keep up the good work.

Leave a comment:

• cobblerdave
    replied

Gudday
    The infamous blue tarp seems to be a common oven accessory
    Cheap, and ugly but it does the job
    Regards dave

Leave a comment:

• chubbybones
    replied

Haha,that is the best photo I've seen on the forums
    The little one looks like he's on security detail to protect the oven,so cute.!

Leave a comment:

• mnl
    replied

Hi John

I guess what is a couple of more months. After putting in so much time and effort, just keen to get it finished off. There is a storm in Brisbane at the moment, so have my creation covered with a tarp. The last thing I guess we want is too let rain in to let it rehydrate.

Cheers

Mark

Leave a comment:

• chubbybones
    replied

Hey thanks Mark,
    I will probably just keep a tarp handy and cover it up when i think it might rain.
    We are about to renovate our house so there's going to be alot of tarp action going on ,one more wont hurt for now.Otherwise i might buy a cheap marquee from bunnings and set it up over the oven.I think they sell one for $40.

Leave a comment:

• mnl
    replied

Hi John

Looking really good, not just the oven but the whole area.

What you and Dave say about no use putting the waterproof layer on until the moisture is out maker sense as all it will do will be to trap it in there. Only question is do you keep it covered until you do that?

Leave a comment:

• chubbybones
    replied

I'm with you on that Dave.
    To be honest i dont mind leaving the final render for a couple of months still,at this point there's no hurry as long as i can cook in it.So i will definately heed your advice.
    cheers.

Leave a comment:

• cobblerdave
    replied

Gudday John
    That v-Crete layer is still full of water, lots of water, all trapped in those tiny air spaces it will take a period for that to come out. Render now and it will be trapped with only the oven structure to vent through. I think vents are a help but not the solution.
    The only oven I have had personal experience with V-crete was V-crete only. It was months before it was finally waterproofed. Textured cement paint only. No cracks and it was being used. My own, cured dry dome, dry insulation then render ,no cracks in dome. I think there's something to be said to firstly drying then heat tempering the dome before waterproofing.
    Just some thoughts , I hate hearing of cracked ovens, seems unfair.
    Regards Dave

Leave a comment:

Working...
X