New 36" Pompeii in Bondi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New 36" Pompeii in Bondi

I did put reo bars in my stand, but only because I got my bar for free, prob not needed my formworker friend told me. I did put two layers of reo mesh in the hearth slab. I did a 140mm slab, so spaced 50mm off bottom and top.
    Mitre 10 stores sell metal suspended slab chairs separately. Only $1 each which was good. Normally you have to buy a 100 pack for $50-60. I used 20 metal 100mm chairs, and 20 or so plastic ground slab chairs I had left over and cut them done with an angle grinder to get them to 50mm and removing the large round base on the bottom.

My finish was rough too which makes for more area for the stand concrete to stick to in my opinion and for any pavers or tiles to adhere better as well. (or so I told myself.)

Starting the hebel hearth insulation construction this weekend.

The race is on Wozza!
    The build has started. 40" pompeii. With mosaic tile exterior.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=dcdb2f715c

Comment

Originally posted by BrendanLovesPizza View Post
      The race is on Wozza!
      Hah. I can see you in my rear view mirror (but that's only because you're about to lap me...).

Comment

Well, progress on the garden, so I'm kinda free to continue with the oven.

Slab is in. Some of the blocks roughly in place and the chiminchera has a temporary home for the next week or two. Way too warm to light any sort of fire, though.

Finished paving the garden and the slats on the back wall and partly down the sides are in and the low walls built with treated timber sleepers. Got some lights rigged up, again temporary, so it looks kinda cute at night. I just needed to get to this point as my bro is arriving from the UK on Saturday so it's a barbie on Sunday and the other half wanted everything to look reasonably neat. She's happy, so I'm happy, so time to get the rest of the blocks and think about forming up the hearth.
        Last edited by Wozza; 01-07-2015, 01:08 AM.

Comment

Of course, always best to have a second opinion...and Logan was quite happy with the accuracy of the work so far.
          Last edited by Wozza; 01-07-2015, 01:17 AM.

Comment

Hey wozza.

Love the stacked retaining wall. Is that cypress pine for the screen? Cypress pine can age to a beautiful grey over time. Looks great in that style of garden.
            I'm 4 courses high so you got some catching up to do!

Good work mate.

Comment

It is important to maintain quality control on these jobs and it looks you have an appropriate inspector!
              Cheers ......... Steve

Build Thread http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f3/n...erg-19151.html

Build Pics http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...1&l=1626b3f4f4

Forno Food Pics https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=1d5ce2a275

Comment

Hey wozza.

Love the stacked retaining wall. Is that cypress pine for the screen? Cypress pine can age to a beautiful grey over time. Looks great in that style of garden.
                I'm 4 courses high so you got some catching up to do!
                It's the standard pine decking, but I'm quite pleased with it. I'll get some protective varnish on it in a couple of weeks. Was going to use Merbau but it would have doubled the cost. I like the lighter colour anyway.

Thing is, I used brass screws. Well, brass plated actually. I thought they'd look good but they've started to rust already, so I've got to replace them all. Curses! Lucky I only put half of them in to get it up in time for Xmas.

And I left my level resting on a cross piece of the existing fence when I was putting the slats up and built over it with the decking. Managed to get it out after searching everywhere for it for ages and blaming everyone else for losing it. Maybe when I change the screws I'll find my hammer...

Comment

After 12 beers you'll prob fond your sanity

Comment

After 12 beers you'll prob fond your sanity
                    That went AWOL long time back...A couple of six packs and I'd be lucky to find my arse with both hands and a torch.

Comment

Story so far...and bugger, the photo is rotated. Should I be taking them landscape as opposed to portrait?

I've cast a beam across the front of the support walls - 4 bags of concrete and some reo was a lot cheaper than buying heavy duty 100x100 angle. I'd filled every other hole in the blockwork with concrete and a rod of reo running through each. The rest I filled with rubble and topped up with concrete so I've got a nice flat surface. On top of that I'll lay the builders plastic as a vapour barrier then 6mm Villaboard on top of that, then form up and ready to pour.

The Villaboard/hearth will overhang the walls by about 250mm all round so I'll add supports around the perimeter as well as 2 or 3 supports across the middle.

Game plan is to form up next weekend and pour the weekend after. Then I'd better see about buying some firebricks...
                      Last edited by Wozza; 03-24-2015, 07:28 PM.

Comment

Looks good mate. Its a slow process so keep in there, I had a 2 months lay period!

Comment

G'day wozza
                          Good job on that concrete beam.
                          Recon you'll get the form work right 4x2s are plenty big enough.
                          You obviously figure out to agitate the concrete cause you've got it in the corners really well. A couple things that helps it flow for a slab. Use builders cement its got a slag content which makes it flow better for slabs. Use a teaspoon of dishwashing detergent as a plasticizer.
                          You've got a few air holes in the concrete beams sides. You can eliminate them by banging the sides of the form work after the concretes in and the air holes will collapse and fill full of the cement and sand in the mix.
                          Good luck I'm sure it will turn out and I hope you can con someone into helping without it costing you too many beers....
                          Regards dave
                          PS phone pics always use landscape
                          Measure twice
                          Cut once
                          Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
                          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
                          My Door
                          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

Formwork was delayed last week but got most of it done today before the expected storm hit this arvo. Guess beer o'clock just came early.

Reasonably pleased that it all went together OK. I think I made a mistake in trying to cut the support legs exactly the right length. I should have cut them 10mm short and shimmed them up as needed. Going to need some more support front and back and I'll run 3 supports across the inside for the board.

I think I should brace the side walls somehow as well. Maybe screw some wood across the frame but keep the cross pices higher than the top of the frame so I can still trowel the concrete nice and flat.
                            Last edited by Wozza; 04-05-2015, 10:04 PM.

Comment

Looks the goods Wozza, remember to wet the formwork thoroughly before pouring concrete, helps to pull out the timber later, and fill over any gaps with a robust tape and it stops the concrete seeping through the formwork joins, it wont mess up your retaining wall etc. About .3 of a cube?? You going to mix yourself?

Comment

About 0.34 cu m (1.8 x 1.5 x 125mm). So that'll be maybe 38 x 20kg bags of concrete (the base worked out at the exact volume + 10%). Take 2 trips to the local Bunnies to get those next Saturday, then finish off the formwork, lay the reo and mesh and then book the lad in to help with the pour.

I'll do the same as I did for the base and hire a small mixer from Kennards. Cost about $65 and it'll fit into the back of the 4 wheeler.

Guess it'll be harder work than the base as that was just mix, tip into the frame and shovel around. Now we've got to lift the stuff up into the formwork. Better get some industrial strength DencoRub ready.

Comment

Working...
                                X