X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: D105 Pre-Cut brick kit build in Tassie

Originally posted by cobblerdave View Post
    G'day
    Interesting to hear that it locks back into the brickwork of the dome. That's great and it is a great kit build. There's been a few of them built now. There fairly distinctive with the thin brick layer in the entranceway. The caste chimney entrance takes away a pretty fiddly bit of the build and I'm sure will result in very little smoke stain to the front of the oven.
    Great to hear it's cooking well for you. You don't have to be a master pizza chef to turn out a great pizza. It still amazes me to this day. Great to hear that you've discovering it use for other cooking as well.
    Regards dave
    but i'm master pizza chef

if i remember correctly there is one full size brick that interlocks and one the of inch thick ones, i remember going over this in my build and once i got to see it i was like "oh i see, i like that"
    the castable flue gallery is great time saver and it is reinforced with that funny things inside so it is strong as hell, also it looks quite nice.
    as for smoke stain, hehe, you sure get one just go nuts with your fire , at first i thought i would hate to have smoke stain, now i can't imagine my oven not to have one
    I have one (that i can see) hairline crack or as i like to call it expansion joint on the inside that is very small compared to some of the cracks i seen posted on here and now knowing what i do about nature of firebricks and ovens that run so hot i'm shocked that is all i got and it is good indication that Ben done a lot of homework for us.
    speaking of Ben, the man is rare sort, the amount of support he provides is just unheard of and shows that he is true passionate, at times i was wondering how the hell does he manage to put up with all my stupid questions without going crazy.
    Last edited by CrocAu; 05-31-2015, 02:46 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by CrocAu View Post
      but i'm master pizza chef

if i remember correctly there is one full size brick that interlocks and one the of inch thick ones, i remember going over this in my build and once i got to see it i was like "oh i see, i like that"
      the castable flue gallery is great time saver and it is reinforced with that funny things inside so it is strong as hell, also it looks quite nice.
      as for smoke stain, hehe, you sure get one just go nuts with your fire , at first i thought i would hate to have smoke stain, now i can't imagine my oven not to have one
      I have one (that i can see) hairline crack or as i like to call it expansion joint on the inside that is very small compared to some of the cracks i seen posted on here and now knowing what i do about nature of firebricks and ovens that run so hot i'm shocked that is all i got and it is good indication that Ben done a lot of homework for us.
      speaking of Ben, the man is rare sort, the amount of support he provides is just unheard of and shows that he is true passionate, at times i was wondering how the hell does he manage to put up with all my stupid questions without going crazy.
      I have to agree about Ben, he has been very helpful and also answered a dumb question I had when trying to find washed sand after my local Bunnys sold me the wrong thing. It is nice to hear how happy you are with your kit CrocAu.

I managed to lay the 11th course today despite the weather and will post a picture tomorrow after I download it from the IPad.

I have a lip where the dome meets the entry arch - I will post a photo of that as well - I suspect I need to cut/grind it off but will take advice once people have seen the photo.
      Cheers,

Steady

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-21760.html

Comment

i will try to remember to pop in and check your thread
        there was nothing you should have to grind but i'm not quite sure what lip you talking about so will talk when you get that photo up here

Comment

As I mentioned up thread I managed to lay the 11th course yesterday. I will need to modify the IDT before I start on the next.

The third photo is of the lip where the arch meets the dome - should I remove this?
          Cheers,

Steady

Comment

Originally posted by Steady View Post
            As I mentioned up thread I managed to lay the 11th course yesterday. I will need to modify the IDT before I start on the next.

The third photo is of the lip where the arch meets the dome - should I remove this?
            You talking rear part of arch? No reason to cut that at all, it doesn't do anything and you will never see it again once you close the dome.
            As for the idt modification why not use the form supplied? It worked great and as long as you cleanup inside fast enough it is perfect way to finish up. I left the cleanup for too long so I made hard for myself but there wasn't that much to clean anyway

Comment

You talking rear part of arch? No reason to cut that at all, it doesn't do anything and you will never see it again once you close the dome.
              As for the idt modification why not use the form supplied? It worked great and as long as you cleanup inside fast enough it is perfect way to finish up. I left the cleanup for too long so I made hard for myself but there wasn't that much to clean anyway
              Yes I was wondering about the rear part of the arch - if it makes no difference it stays.

The fibreglass form that comes with the kit would be ideal and speed the process up dramatically - unfortunately...... I loaded the kit into a tandem trailer with a cage and stupidly decided I didn't need to tie it down as it was too heavy to move and contained in a cage. The dome blew off on the way home and had been crushed by traffic when I went back to find it.

If there is anyone else on the forum from Tassie who has built one of these kits, and still has the form, and would like to loan, rent or sell it - I would love to hear from you. The price of a replacement one with freight is more than I would like to spend.

I am working on making up a fibreglass form - I could also put a disc in and make a sand form.
              Cheers,

Steady

Comment

I had the same lip on the back of the arch. Doesn't appear to make any difference. Once complete the flue works perfectly.

I still have the fibreglass but live in NSW.

Drac.

Comment

Originally posted by Drac View Post
                  I had the same lip on the back of the arch. Doesn't appear to make any difference. Once complete the flue works perfectly.

I still have the fibreglass but live in NSW.

Drac.
                  Thanks Drac.

I am in Adelaide tomorrow and Thursday with a hire car if anyone in the area has the kit fibreglass dome and doesn't want it any more.
                  Cheers,

Steady

Comment

I think i got mine but i'm in melbourne, if you do plan visit this way soon let me know and i can confirm

Comment

I think i got mine but i'm in melbourne, if you do plan visit this way soon let me know and i can confirm
                      Thanks CrocAu, I travel through the Melbourne airport frequently with work but I am not expecting to visit in the short term. I will see if anyone I know is catching the Spirit in the next few months.
                      Cheers,

Steady

Comment

Originally posted by Steady View Post
                        I am working on making up a fibreglass form - I could also put a disc in and make a sand form.
                        I got around to making up a fibreglass form to hopefully replace the one I mistreated. I think it is close enough to the correct radius but wont know until I place it in the dome on the weekend. It is smaller than the one provided in the kit so I may need to do another course before I can use it - I layed it up inside a torispherical pressure pipe end cap - so the edges curl in at a tighter radius - but I wont use that bit. If it is no good I will have another go at making one on a big balloon or exercise ball.

I had to improvise with vegetable oil as a mould release agent and the part stuck a little in the middle - but it is only a form
                        Cheers,

Steady

Comment

The weather is continuing to hinder my progress - been a little cold in my neck of the woods - not permanent like our friends in the US of A but having seen some of their posts on the Aussie forum pointing out how our cold is not really very cold I though I should add this photo that I took on Tuesday (3 days ago)
                          Cheers,

Steady

Comment

The fibreglass form was big enough in diameter and I was able to finish my dome today. I will post some photos on Monday

Only my front arch to go fire brick wise and then mounting the cast flu gallery

Rain is forcast again tomorrow - if it was fine I would have easily got it all done.
                            Cheers,

Steady

Comment

Getting there Steady. You might consider moving to Queensland where the weather is a little more civilised and the place is fit for human habitation all year. Lol.

I have a sister in Howrah and can empathise with your frustration about the crap weather.

Good luck with it.
                              Cheers ......... Steve

Build Thread http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f3/n...erg-19151.html

Build Pics http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...1&l=1626b3f4f4

Forno Food Pics https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=1d5ce2a275

Comment

Thanks Steve, I am happy with my progress so far and cannot wait for my first pizza

While I whinge about the weather, Tassie is home. I lived in QLD for 2 years and currently travel Australia wide with work but I am always hoppy to go home
                                Last edited by Steady; 06-14-2015, 12:53 AM.
                                Cheers,

Steady

Comment

Working...
                                X