X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steady
    replied
    Originally posted by Matt Taylor View Post
    Hi Steady what size was your oven stand as I'm looking at building this size as well in a corner.
    Hi Matt, welcome to the Forno Bravo Forum.

My stand is 4 blocks wide x 4.5 blocks deep (nominally 1600 wide x 1800 deep)

If doing it again (and in a corner) I would rotate the stand 45 deg and cut the corner off, there are many examples of it being done that way on this forum.
    Last edited by Steady; 02-06-2017, 05:21 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Matt Taylor
    replied
    Hi Steady what size was your oven stand as I'm looking at building this size as well in a corner.

Leave a comment:

• Steady
    replied
    Thanks David, I will have a look at some oven photos where the front arch has been tiled to see if like the look

Leave a comment:

• david s
    replied
    Ahh, yes I see. Far easier to cover the oven with the flue pipe off. If you want to do something about the front arch you could clean it up a bit with a wire brush and tile/mosaic it. You need to use glossy tiles, a quality outdoor tile adhesive and black grout. Any soot staining rubs off easily with some damp newspaper.
    Last edited by david s; 03-21-2016, 04:18 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Steady
    replied
    Originally posted by david s View Post
    Nice work. I notice that you haven't installed a flue pipe. Although it is not really necessary apart from keeping the smoke away from your face it also creates more draw and should stop that blackening on the front of the arch opening.
    Thanks david s,

I do have a flu - I just take it off and put an upturned bowl over the sharp stub end before wrapping it up with a tarp. If you look at the 4th photo above that doesn't show as a thumbnail it shows the flu in situ.

Regarding the blackening, I think I am not going to avoid it. Mrs Steady is suggesting that I either paint just the arch, or all of the exposed bricks black - I am undecided but I can see her logic.

Once it is done it would be hard to undo. They are fire bricks and I have already sprayed them in heat/flame resistant clear paint made for combustion engines etc to reduce how much water they will absorb.

Leave a comment:

• david s
    replied
    Nice work. I notice that you haven't installed a flue pipe. Although it is not really necessary apart from keeping the smoke away from your face it also creates more draw and should stop that blackening on the front of the arch opening.

Leave a comment:

• Steady
    replied
    Thanks UtahBeehiver and cobblerdave - I have some more work to do on the stand (render/stucco) and then I want to make some benches on either side with space for a BBQ and sink etc + some sort of covering to help get more use during the winter + some paving - I doubt I will ever finish finish :-)

Leave a comment:

• cobblerdave
    replied
    G'day steady
    Looks great as I thought it would.
    I'm pretty impressed you've only been cooking for 6 months and you've finished it.
    Regards dave

Leave a comment:

• UtahBeehiver
    replied
    Nice looking stone and final product.

Leave a comment:

• Steady
    replied
    I installed the stone hearth last weekend - all went well and celebrated with pizza on Saturday night.

Leave a comment:

• Steady
    replied
    Finally I spent some time opening up the fine joint where the dome shell meets the flue gallery by scraping and then using a hacksaw blade to ensure an even gap and allow for some expansion at this point. Then I applied some sealant that I plan to paint over. I also sealed over the expansion / foam gap so that the nominally 3mm of sand I place the Granite on does not find its way into the gap and transfer the expansion forces. I'm hoping to recoat the dome to cover up the cracks and place the granite landing during the next week but the weather may not allow me to.

Leave a comment:

• Steady
    replied
    I put some foam around the oven to allow for expansion and hopefully prevent the packing concrete slab from cracking - 4mm around the dome and 12mm at the front of the hearth bricks

Leave a comment:

• Steady
    replied
    Saturday saw me start on the supporting slab for the granite top. (The fine cracks in the outer waterproof layer have been sealed with Bondall Bondcrete brushed on undiluted.)

Leave a comment:

• Steady
    replied
    The 30mm thick (approx. 1" & 3/16") granite landing I ordered before Christmas has finally been cut and I picked it up last Friday - I'm very happy with it and it fits exactly how I wanted.
    Last edited by Steady; 03-06-2016, 06:07 PM.

Leave a comment:

• cobblerdave
    replied
    G'day
    On the main board.
    We see little enough " cooking" it's all about pizza.
    I've never been a great bread maker but I do have a beer fridge.
    I recon I could translate a day off to a bake off.
    Regards dave

Leave a comment:

Working...
X