Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UtahBeehiver
    replied
    + 1 on the wood peel for loading, metal for turning and unloading.

Leave a comment:

• PizzaCharlie
    replied
    Is your peel metal or wood?
    I got both but find the pizza slips off the wood peel much better than the metal.

Make sure you dust your peel with flour or semolina.

Leave a comment:

• Steady
    replied
    I cleared the dome today and cooked some good pizza :-)

I have photos to post later but essentially I got some strong flour and mixed it 2 days ago and left it in the fridge until this afternoon and then divided it up into 7 x 250g portions, gave it a quick knead and left it for a few hours to prove before using it. I was very happy with the crust. The one issue I seemed to have was getting the pizza off the peel in the oven - I had no trouble making a mess - mini bocconcini seems to be made in a ball just to roll off and burn on the oven floor .....

Leave a comment:

• Steady
    replied
    First attempt at pizza- all 3 tasted wonderful - garlic n cheese, a version of margarita and the margarita with some ham.
    The oven was not hot enough and I didn't use the right flour but man were they good - happy days

Leave a comment:

• Steady
    replied
    French dressing chicken wings

Leave a comment:

• Steady
    replied
    Some photos from the weekend - Saturday, the brick wall across opening to help get some heat into the floor

Leave a comment:

• Wozza
    replied
    So good when there is actually food in the oven. Only my second curing fire today and not much over 100 but I put in last nights left overs to warm up and warm was all it got, but goddam, I'm using the oven. Maybe Dave's chicken wings sometime soon.

Leave a comment:

• Steady
    replied
    7th curing fire 30th Aug

8am this morning the oven was sitting at 150 deg C at the top of the dome and 120 on the floor. I lit a small fire and left it small until 2.30 pm.
    I put the tarp on about 9pm last night to keep the dew off - 12 hours into a fairly hot burn - the outside and supporting slab was no more than 10 deg c above ambient. This morning when I pulled the tarp off the under side of the supporting slab was 55 deg in places and I have a few extra cracks in the out side insulating render and on the outside edge of the supporting slab. I had a good look around the inside with a torch and cannot see any internal cracks.

I kept a small fire going all day and cooked some pizza at a low temp (approx 260 floor - 320 dome) and finished with a roast leg of lamb with veggies for dinner

Yesterdays chicken wings were a hit. I only had regular plain flour for the pizza dough, I mixed it Saturday and left it in the fridge overnight - it was ok but I need to get myself organised and find some 00

I think I will be away with work a bit over the next 2-3 weeks so it may sit for awhile before my next fire - hopefully the remaining moisture will wick into the now dry substrate and I can drive a little more out next time.

Photos tomorrow

Leave a comment:

• Steady
    replied
    6th curing fire today 29th Aug.

When I pulled the tarp off this morning there was no condensation inside the oven or on either side of the steel door. There was just a tiny bit in one spot on the outside of the dome where the tarp was touching. Previously the outside had quite a bit. The weather is ok and I should be able to keep a decent size fire going for 6-8 hours today and again tomorrow. Following Gulfs advice I have put a row of bricks across the enterance to try and get more heat in the floor. I have chicken wings marinating in the fridge following cobblerdave's recipie above. Lamb roast defrosting for tomorrow.

Happy days

Leave a comment:

• Steady
    replied
    Funny you should say that - Man versus food is on as I type.....

Leave a comment:

• PizzaCharlie
    replied
    Reading this is like watching Man versus Food...

Leave a comment:

• Steady
    replied
    Dave, maaaate.... Sold ! (Scurries off to buy chicken wings and Italian salad dressing)

Leave a comment:

• cobblerdave
    replied
    G'day
    Originally posted by Steady View Post
    I'm finding it to be loads of fun, theruputic even
    G'day
    In order to increase your oven experience I suggest....
    1 kg or 2 chicken wings, a bottle of Italian salad dressing ( none of that low fat muck) salt pepper and a 6 pack or so of your favourite.
    Chuck the chicken and dressing in a plastic bag and go out light the oven drink in hand. Secound beer finds the oven hot enought to brown the chicken, so chicken in a baking dish and into the oven. Put down 3rd beer on realizing that the chicken is browning too fast. Find the garden hoe and rescue the chicken. Cover the chicken with aluminium foil and place back into a cooler section of oven. 4th beer will help cool the hand burnt on the hot baking dish.
    1/2 an hour/ 40 mins later you can smell the chicken so you remove your prize and since you've consumed 5 beers? No, 4? Anyway you've got the munchies by now.
    You've now made the simple form of "road side chicken".
    If you burn it,what the heck, chicken wings are cheap and you're that hungry you going to eat them anyway. If there a bit raw a bit more time or pull of a rescue on the BBQ.
    Enjoy the journey
    Regards dave

Leave a comment:

• Wozza
    replied
    Yeah...the pizzas are just a bonus!

Leave a comment:

• Steady
    replied
    I'm finding it to be loads of fun, theruputic even

Leave a comment:

Working...