Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steady
    replied
    Thanks UtahBeehiver, Gulf and cobblerdave- I was very happy with the bread and 2 of the 4 loaves were gone almost in the blink of an eye but I baked them straight after everyone had had lunch. They were nice as toast this morning.

Dave, I like the idea of a new thread - I have a few details to add and will be refining it as I learn. Should it go in the Australia forum or the relevant section of the main forum?

Leave a comment:

• cobblerdave
    replied
    G'day steady
    Nice looking bread. I've come across no nead bread before but never thought it would translate to a wood fired oven. I was pretty impressed with yours so l followed the link. I'll definitly be giving that a go.
    Why don't you start a seperate thread with your pics and that link. I'm sure plenty would be interested and would make it easy to find.
    Regards dave

Leave a comment:

• Gulf
    replied
    Steady,

The bread looks great! In just a few minutes of those coming out of the oven, there would not be any honey butter left in my house lol.

Leave a comment:

• UtahBeehiver
    replied
    Nice looking bread.

Leave a comment:

• Steady
    replied
    My Christmas pizza were successful. The external waterproof coat cracked - I think the water that I applied to enable the cosmetic render to adhere was trapped in when I applied the waterproof cement paint and then I had to fire it up to pizza temps for Christmas Day. I have had a number of firings since Christmas and seem to have again driven the water out so have sealed the cracks with straight bondcrete. I have then fired the oven again to see if anymore cracks develop before applying some more of the cement paint.

I cooked my first successful loaves of bread today - (2nd attempt)

I followed this "no knead" recipie

http://www.slowfoodandhandforgedtool...-beginner.html

Leave a comment:

• Steady
    replied
    I am as ready as I can be for Christmas now. I have uploaded the photo from a tablet and cannot get the photo the right way up. I have enough dough fermenting in the fridge for 36 pizzas but there is talk of a possible total fire ban here on Christmas Day so I am praying it won't be called......

I wish everyone a safe and happy Christmas with your loved ones

Leave a comment:

• RandyJ
    replied
    My wife said I was allowed to use mine before I finished it. I guess I missed that deadline. I plan to finish the last little bits next spring when the weather gets better.

Leave a comment:

• UtahBeehiver
    replied
    Yes, once the ovens are usable the finish touches just seem to take longer. Five years later on mine and I am still not done but the family and friends are not complaining as long as I feed em pizzas.

Leave a comment:

• cobblerdave
    replied
    G'day steady
    It's coming along fine and it's worth the wait to get the finish that you want.
    That granite going to look great.
    Regards dave

Leave a comment:

• Steady
    replied
    Thanks Gulf :-)

I am really happy with it overall

I had wanted to get it 100% by this Christmas, but like many others I have read about, once I started cooking in it the momentum dropped off, with me preferring to fire it up on a weekend than do more of the finishing.

I also had a heap of work and private travel over the last 2.5 months that is now over so I can get back to it.

Leave a comment:

• Gulf
    replied
    It's looking Great! Steady,

I can relate to the (..........) . There is always something else to do.....................between cooks .

Leave a comment:

• Steady
    replied
    I decided to waterproof my dome with 3 coats of Bondall silasec cement paint - I added an oxide for colour.
    The oxide was labelled "sandstone" and the colour is not exactly as I was expecting but it is growing on me.

I still need to paint the flue gallery black and to pour a packing slab at the front for the granite landing to sit on, then I think the oven is finished.

Then there is only a little bit of work on the stand, and the outdoor kitchen, and some paving, and the deck, and........

Leave a comment:

• Steady
    replied
    I selected a natural granite off cut from a nearby stone bench top business that was not quite wide (deep) enough but will do as it is lot cheaper. It is 30mm thick and I am paying them to cut it to my template and polish the visible edges. It will not be ready until sometime in February 2016

Leave a comment:

• Steady
    replied
    I have seen lots of photos of Pompeii ovens with stone landings, I plan to have one on mine and made a template last night. Back a few months ago I went to my closest stone bench top supplier to see what "off cuts" were available and they were adamant that the landing will quickly crack from the heat.

Have others had issues? Is the supplier just covering his butt? It would only be subjected to radiant heat and I have read on another Aussie post where the temperature was quite low and timber was used.

The template has a 5mm (just under 1/4") gap between the granite landing and the oven proper to allow for any oven expansion - is there anything else I should consider to reduce the likelihood of it cracking

Leave a comment:

• Steady
    replied
    I have been away from the forum ( and from oven construction) for a few months due to work commitments - but I am back.

My Christmas dead line is getting closer - I have been cooking lots of pizza so while the oven will not be 100% complete it is functioning as it is meant to. I added a vent to the perlite insulation layer on the weekend and had a go at the external render - I am not overly happy with it so may have another go. I may also apply some sort of clear waterproofing seal coat. I will make up a template now for the stone landing and get it under way.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X