• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steady
    replied
    Re: D105 Pre-Cut brick kit build in Tassie

Originally posted by Drac View Post
    G'day. I just started the same kit a few weeks ago. Looks like you are making good progress. Drac.
    G'day Drac, I've been going a few months now but work is getting in the way at the moment so progress has temporarily stopped. I thought I would get an arvo in last weekend but some livestock issues put an end to that. I hope you start a thread with lots of photos.

Leave a comment:

• Drac
    replied

G'day. I just started the same kit a few weeks ago. Looks like you are making good progress. Drac.

Leave a comment:

• Steady
    replied

Originally posted by oasiscdm View Post
    They are very good kits though.
    Yes, I felt it was the best kit out of the ones that I could find when I was looking

As you say, there are a few around now - I have not read of anyone having any major issues with them.

Leave a comment:

• oasiscdm
    replied

Another kit from Ben. Gee I think he is up to 6 or 7 loaded up on here now.

They are very good kits though.

Leave a comment:

• Steady
    replied

Originally posted by cobblerdave View Post
    Hope something here helps
    Regards dave
    Thanks cobblerdave, information from people with experience is always appreciated. I believe others on this forum have built the same kit as mine - I will spend sometime reading up on modifications they may have made and how their finished ovens are standing up. I have been soaking my bricks in water before laying them (as per the kit instructions) and I have seen them fizz as the air is quickly replaced by water - the weather where I live will mean the bricks at the front of the oven entrance will be getting wet as often as they are not

PS. Can you please edit your post with the correct post number - you mentioned the 3rd photo on post 23 - but there are not that many posts in this thread yet so I don't know which one to look at.

Leave a comment:

• cobblerdave
    replied

G'day steady
    Post 14 pic three shows a straight line of mortar where the entrance meets the dome. Thus the entrance brick is not tied back to the dome. Mine is the same as its built separate to the dome. Yes it has cracks. Heat does that. The roof of the entrance of mine is flat as well being built on angle iron supports and has an arch in the front for esthetics.
    I mulled over the brickies posts and added the side walls, the buttressing as as sensible mod. A brick veneer house has an internal frame to give strenght and a single row of bricks. A double brick wall has no supporting frame as is designed to stand alone.
    Another thing to keep in mind is that your entrance is fire brick which are not water resistant like a house brick is designed to be. Drop a firebrick in water and you see how fast they can obsorb water. In your climate is is something you'll need to consider.
    Hope something here helps
    Regards dave
    Last edited by cobblerdave; 05-13-2015, 07:40 PM. Reason: Add

Leave a comment:

• Steady
    replied

Yes, I am impressed with the quality and design of the kit. I also like the detailed written and video instructions.

Leave a comment:

• Greenman
    replied

Hi Steady. I had a look at the cast piece over the outer arch and what you say (and the instructions) make sense now. That would hold it all together and the force being applied by it would be downwards. Without that cast piece then it would be more like I said (thanks to Brickie for his advice at the time).

The inner arch is buttressed by the dome as you suggest.

That is a good looking kit.

Leave a comment:

• Steady
    replied

That is an interesting site Greenman. I have also had a look at your build and buttressing.
    I had not considered buttressing the flue gallery, I am just following the kit instructions - if (maybe "when" as I see many people end up building more than 1 WFO ) I were building from scratch I would, or just as likely I would be considering a flared arch along the lines of oasiscdm's build in Werribee.

I am new to this without any experience to building structures with bricks or arches - so I am really just having a guess as to why Ben Guilford decided his kits don't need buttressing. My thoughts are that the horizontal forces are greatly reduced by the use of a one piece cast flue gallery instead of fire bricks. The inner arch is buttressed by the dome (?) and the outer arch in this kit is narrow, (approx 75mm wide bricks) so less mass than I see on many builds here. The flue gallery that is moulded to shape then sits over everything without adding downward force to either arch, and the associated horizontal thrust that the weight of a brick built flue gallery would normally generate. The cast gallery also "clips" for want of a better word over the ends of the arch sort of working like a restraint - as I said just a guess and I am happy to be educated (set straight so to speak)

Here is a link with photos and a clip of the kit that shows the moulded/cast flue gallery.

PreCut Brick Oven Kits

Leave a comment:

• Greenman
    replied

Quite a surprise. Just posted a reply to your other thread and now you are close to closing the dome! Looks great. Only thought is if you had considered buttressing your flue gallery? I am not a brickie but I started like your entry and 'Brickie' advised that the single brick would not cut it.

This site might be of interest to you. I found it interesting and modified my entry arch to suit.

Auroville Earth Institute

Leave a comment:

• Steady
    replied

This brings me up to date - I laid course 9 on the weekend just past and the first brick of course 10 - following a tip I read on someone else's thread.

The weather is cold, wet and windy now and I have lots of other commitments so I expect my progress will slow down for the next little while.

Steady

Leave a comment:

• Steady
    replied

Other commitments and weather have got in the way. I laid most of course 7 on the 3rd May. I think I have some of the "droop" I have seen mentioned elsewhere on the forum?

Leave a comment:

• Steady
    replied

The next day I managed to lay another 3 courses - I had to work away for awhile so I wrapped everything up in a tarp

Leave a comment:

• Steady
    replied

I managed to lay 3 courses the first day - I had lots of help from my daughters.

Leave a comment:

• Steady
    replied

I started the dome on the 14th April

Leave a comment:

Working...
X