X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steady
    replied
    Re: D105 Pre-Cut brick kit build in Tassie

The forecast is for cool but fine weather over the weekend - I hope to get a bit done to my oven

Leave a comment:

• Steady
    replied

Just found this photo when looking for something else - this was the kit still on the tandem trailer - just before my wife and I unloaded it.

Leave a comment:

• Steady
    replied

The external arch completed 14-06-2015

Leave a comment:

• Steady
    replied

The obligatory internal shots

I am very happy with it - the one larger brick looks a bit out of place and there is one gap that is a little larger than I would have liked but I know others I show it off to will never notice and it has given me a great sense of achievement.

Leave a comment:

• Steady
    replied

The last 2 brick courses laid and then the keystone made from refractory castable - along with filling up the remaining gaps with the castable

Leave a comment:

• Steady
    replied

Here are the catch up photos of the work I did over the weekend - these show the fibreglass form installed

Leave a comment:

• Steady
    replied

Originally posted by Greenman View Post
    Trying to retro fill gaps in the mortar between bricks in your dome is not a good idea. It fails regularly and it is only cosmetic anyway. The dome is stable and a few bits of mortar missing and a crack here and there make no difference to the performance of the oven.
    Thanks for this confirmation - I thought I had read that there was no point somewhere on here, but also figure it is easy to simply ask in case I had misunderstood

Leave a comment:

• Greenman
    replied

Trying to retro fill gaps in the mortar between bricks in your dome is not a good idea. It fails regularly and it is only cosmetic anyway. The dome is stable and a few bits of mortar missing and a crack here and there make no difference to the performance of the oven.

Onwards and upwards, you are powering along with this. Congratulations.

Leave a comment:

• Steady
    replied

There was a break in the weather this afternoon and I managed to get the fibreglass form out and the excess mortar cleaned up - actually my daughter went into the dome and cleaned it up for me.

She said there were a few small gaps without mortar - is there any need to fill these - if I do, will the mortar just fall out anyway?

I also got to lay the outer arch

Leave a comment:

• Greenman
    replied

I have had multiple holidays in Tassie and love the place. If it was not so cold in winter I would move there in a heartbeat. I just have a problem when the temp drops below 10C.

I would love to have a fishing shack on the Lune River and another at Cooktown to be occupied in the appropriate seasons. An endless summer.

Leave a comment:

• Steady
    replied

Thanks Steve, I am happy with my progress so far and cannot wait for my first pizza

While I whinge about the weather, Tassie is home. I lived in QLD for 2 years and currently travel Australia wide with work but I am always hoppy to go home
    Last edited by Steady; 06-14-2015, 12:53 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Greenman
    replied

Getting there Steady. You might consider moving to Queensland where the weather is a little more civilised and the place is fit for human habitation all year. Lol.

I have a sister in Howrah and can empathise with your frustration about the crap weather.

Good luck with it.

Leave a comment:

• Steady
    replied

The fibreglass form was big enough in diameter and I was able to finish my dome today. I will post some photos on Monday

Only my front arch to go fire brick wise and then mounting the cast flu gallery

Rain is forcast again tomorrow - if it was fine I would have easily got it all done.

Leave a comment:

• Steady
    replied

The weather is continuing to hinder my progress - been a little cold in my neck of the woods - not permanent like our friends in the US of A but having seen some of their posts on the Aussie forum pointing out how our cold is not really very cold I though I should add this photo that I took on Tuesday (3 days ago)

Leave a comment:

• Steady
    replied

Originally posted by Steady View Post
    I am working on making up a fibreglass form - I could also put a disc in and make a sand form.
    I got around to making up a fibreglass form to hopefully replace the one I mistreated. I think it is close enough to the correct radius but wont know until I place it in the dome on the weekend. It is smaller than the one provided in the kit so I may need to do another course before I can use it - I layed it up inside a torispherical pressure pipe end cap - so the edges curl in at a tighter radius - but I wont use that bit. If it is no good I will have another go at making one on a big balloon or exercise ball.

I had to improvise with vegetable oil as a mould release agent and the part stuck a little in the middle - but it is only a form

Leave a comment:

Working...
X