No announcement yet.

New build in Sunny Canberra

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gallery done. Not too bad for my first attempt. Looks strong enough and Chiny fits well.

Comment

Finally a dry day. Got the blanket down and found tiles and granite landing pieces.

Comment

Question: How do you render the front edge of the flue gallery ? I have continued the chicken wire over the front edge and into gallery. But I feel the wire needs to be pinned to the front edge. Am I on the correct track.

Im not doing a brick fascarde arch.

Comment

Originally posted by timechanter View Post
          Question: How do you render the front edge of the flue gallery ? I have continued the chicken wire over the front edge and into gallery. But I feel the wire needs to be pinned to the front edge. Am I on the correct track.

Im not doing a brick fascarde arch.
          And herein lies a problem. If you join the outer shell to the front facade of the inner shell there is a problem when the inner shell expands inside the colder outer shell..The result is some crackingwhere the two meet, not severe, but cracking nonetheless. An outer decorative arch connected to the outer shell, with a small gap between it and the inner oven allows free expansion without the cracking problem.
          Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Would never have thought about that, but that's now so obvious. Great advice.

Comment

You have had a busy month timechanter
              Cheers,

Steady

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-21760.html

Comment

Thanks Steady . I like your build, I don't know how I missed Ben's (Melbourne Fire brick) kits when I was researching last year. I would just grab one of Ben's kits with a few optional extras if I had my time again.

Should be tiling the landing on Saturday and Rendering Sunday weather permitting.

Comment

Got distracted from rendering and decided to tile the top and prepare landing for granite.

Comment

Percrete render done 25mm. Man that took a long time and what a weird material to work with. Vertical edges were a drag.

but it's down and first fire started. My plan is to slow build up temps this week (after gluing down the granite) and put a normal render with line on 15mm thick next Sunday.

Is is this too soon for the hard shell ? Water prof will be a watered down acrylic render painted in in a month or so.

Comment

nice work timechanter....where did you end up getting all your supplies? I figure im going to be making a trip to Sydney....
                      Cheers

Greg

My Build: https://community.fornobravo.com/for...erra-australia

Photo Album: https://photos.google.com/album/AF1Q...JZX8QMLT_9mVj7

Comment

fnbroken i picked mine up from Sydney Firebricks over a few trips (was in the area with work a few times). If you are getting a bunch of stuff and have the money together having them ship it to a Depo in Canberra is way cheaper than the fuel (they are far northern beaches, 3.75 hrs from Canberra )

Ss needles for castable reinforcing came direct from Artec (with a tear inducing shipping price), and Powdered Clay from Fyshwick behind the petrol station just down from office works.

Comment

david s I'm having trouble with my front arch and believe I need to fasten the mesh to the front edge to make it work (perlcrete was a disaster on this edge due to movement of the mesh).

The front is 30mm thick at its narrowest. How safe is it to drill into it and put a few masonary screw/nails in it?

Comment

Yes, that should work. I cast my front decorative arch and embed some wire ties into the casting, but somemasonary screws should work as well.
                            Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

You can also form little more exact and stronger edge for the stucco at the opening by using by 1/4" mesh hardware cloth. Just tie it in with the chicken wire and the masonry screws. Leaving a slight reveal here will be a great recess for a storm door if your oven will be exposed to wind driven rain. One layer of cardboard can be used to form the gap that David mentioned in post #34.
                              Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Hi Joe,

Are you suggesting to place a layer of cardboard as a spacer between the front edge of the gallery and the hard render coat (i.e gallery then cardboard then mesh/render)? If so, what thickness of render do you think is necessary to avoid it being crushed/snapped on the leading edge by a misdirected roasting pan . I have a commercial PM100 render and 20kg of hydrated lime, I was expecting to add 1kg of lime to the 20kg render (not sure if thats enough/to-much to give the front some plasticity).

I can always add 2cm of perlcrete and then 15mm render if thats useful, maybe even some high-temp silicon in the "cardboard" gap.

I think I maybe confused/rambling here. Appreciate your thoughts.

Comment

Working...
                                X