web analytics
Karangi Dudes Barrel Bread Oven - Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Karangi Dudes Barrel Bread Oven

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Iti s all looking very fine there Sensei,

I do love the "rustic charm" of old brick.
    Joe Watson, "A year from now, you will have wished that you had started today"
    My Build
    My Web Album

Comment

Thanks Joe old buddy,

We will continue with the old look inside the building as well, Aussies have a liking for old timber and rusted corrugated iron etc. The town I live in Thoona is and old town with quite a few old buildings so it will suit the look even though our house is modern from the front when you enter the back area it will have that old rustic charm. I was given a potbelly stove that is in really good nick so that is going in as a feature.

I am waiting on my Son who is a builder to remove the existing structure and build the new one that will of course feature the front of the oven. I was going to build it myself but because of my illness my wife put an end to that saying you are not well enough to be putting up a roof (and that I am to old ha ha) so my Son will frame it up and put the roof on and then I will finish the outside then line the inside and deck it out, there is a bar, sink area, work benches etc. so there is a lot to do before I can start the classes

Cheers Doug
      https://community.fornobravo.com/for...-s-48inch-oven

Comment

Finally laid the last brick, it took a long time to sort through the old bricks cleaning off the old mortar sometimes to find that the brick was not suitable, most of the bricks are pretty rough not real square or straight and vary in thickness and size, to find useable ones I went through about three times the quantity that I needed and I still needed to trim some of them without making them look to uniform.
        After laying them I gave the bricks a clean up with a light grind and will now wait for the mortar to dry before giving them a light acid wash.

I put up a temporary wall frame as a guide then laid the bricks to suit, this is the only part of the oven that will be seen from inside the rest will be outside hence the curved steel top to keep out the weather.
        I now need to insulate the flue area let it cure then render and waterproof paint it all including the steel work but not the galvanised stand.
        Last edited by Karangi Dude; 08-15-2019, 10:07 PM.
        https://community.fornobravo.com/for...-s-48inch-oven

Comment

hi Doug

As usual immaculate work. Pam and I are staying at Milawa at the end October for a couple of days call it a brief honeymoon. believe that's not far from you.
          Cheers Colin

My Build - Index to Major Build Stages

Comment

Working...
          X