Detroit Pizza Oven

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Detroit Pizza Oven

This is day one of my building process, I have layed out the insulated brick instead of the FB Board, for my first layer on top of the concrete counter top, the supplier said FB BRICK has a much longer life.

I am using a igloo dog house from Walmart for my brick dome form.

Also have an antique door from an old wood burning stove I will incorporate some how.

Re: Detroit Pizza Oven

Remember: Insulating firebrick has about the same insulation value as vermiculite concrete: you'll need four inches under the floor.

Also: the dogloo is really tall by oven standards: if it's sacrificial anyway, you may want to start by cuting six inches or so off it, so get you better heat distribution.

That huge door will leak LOTS of heat.
    My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

I agree I have chopped the bottom section off the dogloo, I will post photos later.

I am going to have to talk to my refractory supplier, he told me the insulating brick is way better than the FB board, he said it won't break down like the FB board, did I get bad info?

Comment

he told me the insulating brick is way better than the FB board, he said it won't break down like the FB board, did I get bad info?
        Insulating fire brick is plenty strong, but so is the board. Compressive strength isn't an issue. I'm talking about insulation properties. It's just regular firebrick with a bunch of sawdust mixed with the clay, which burns out upon firing, leaving air pockets. There's nothing wrong with it, it just isn't as efficient as a high tech refractory insulation board. It's also a bit expensive.

We've only heard about board breakdown with one brand of board, which I think was kaowool. FB board, or other mineral wool products like insblock19, or cal-sil board have not shown any such problems.
        My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Great looking location. I don't think you really need a dogloo form. You are probably better off with either no form (what most people are doing now...search for the indespensible tool), or with styrofoam to make a custom form. Good luck!
          My Oven Thread:
          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...-oven-633.html

Comment

FYI The k23 insulating fire brick is rated a 2300 degress, I just got off the phone with my suppler, you hade me worried because I am half way done with the oven.

Comment

Zuccato,

It's good to see another Michigan oven! Be sure to post some follow up on the k23 performance.
              Mike - Saginaw, MI

Picasa Web Album
              My oven build thread

Comment

Zuccato,

I'm located in Farmington Hills and am 90% finished with my oven. It is fully functional and I'm making some great Pie. Now I just have to make it look pretty. Do you have a source for firewood in the area?

Phil

Comment

Phillip

Here is a guy who can deliver in Brighton :

HICKORY & OAK Firewood

Any chance I can come check out your oven?

Comment

Mfiore

Thanks can't wait to finish this oven. Here are some more pics. This is a door I will use off an antique wood oven.

Comment

Mark,

Did you get my email with my phone number. I would be happy to show you my oven.

By the way, I looked up the Bronx Deli. I love a corned beef special almost as much as pizza. I will be stopping in.

Phil

Comment

Zuccato,

Clever use of the dog house. How are you going to tear it out of the dome when you are done?
                        Mike - Saginaw, MI

Picasa Web Album
                        My oven build thread

Comment

Phil,

I didn't see your email ,maybe it went to spam. Could you PM me in this forum.

Also I have a question about curing, do you do the fire routine before or after you put on the thermal blanket?

Marc

Comment

Phil ,

Trust me my corned beef is top notch you won't be disaponted! Ask for me if you come in.

Comment

Marc,

I used Plibrico Super Demon pre-mixed mortar. I got it from a guy in Brighton (Michigan Refractory). People on the forum had a lot of negative opinions of this stuff. (see Refractory Mortar Poll). This stuff never actually hardens so it is never waterproof. I had a lot of conflicting advice from bring it up slowly to build a towering inferno and fire hard from the start. I decided to bring it up slow before I put the insulating blanket and insulation layer on and then started all over again once the insulation layer was in place. It took a little longer but I felt a little better about it when I was done. By the way. The Super Demon Mortar was great for the building process. Always ready to use and the bricks stuck great to it. Since I covered it with a vercrete insulating layer I wasn't too concerned about it not being waterproof. Now that I have been using the oven for 9 months I see no negative effects of using that mortar. So long story short, to cure the oven I would bring it up slowly after you pot on the insulating layer.

Phil

Comment

Working...
                              X