Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When cooking how to get wood in large oven

G'day All,
    Do you have a reasonably large oven? How do you overcome the heat and reach required to get wood deep in your oven?
    I have an oven with dome a little larger than 42 inch and entry is 475mm (19") and I struggle unless the fire is centre. I would appreciate any feedback on methods used to get the wood in such ovens.
    I do have very initial thoughts as to a device, that if required and nothing better pops up I'll make. Rough drawing included. Initial thoughts as to how to accommodate variety of size timber was with the offset as indicated on the diagram. Thoughts now are to have a wider opening at one side and jagged edges to prevent side slip, as indicated on diagram, lower left. Handle position and angle will be important for easy release of the subject log.
    Appreciate any thoughts.
    Kind Regards
    Greg
    Adelaide, Australia.

I follow the advise of DavidS and try not to use any pieces of wood larger than my wrist. Not always possible with a knot in a log but I keep them small which makes them easier to move around. By the time I move my fire back to the rear of the oven it is fairly hot and I tend to just push the wood back with an assortment of old fireplace tools I have and lift an end up on the fire. I use a pair of welding gloves to protect the arm hair.
    My build thread
    https://community.fornobravo.com/for...h-corner-build

Comment

Thanks JRPizza, the welding glove certainly sounds like an arm saving option, I've had a few touches already. I certainly agree that the size of the pieces of wood is important from a flame, heat and coal retention point of view. Its super important when using an offset smoker and no doubt similar in the pizza oven. My drawing probably isn't the easiest thing from which to get a clear picture but making one of these log holders wont take long. Once I've put one together I'll post info regarding its success, or otherwise not if that's the case.
      Regards
      Greg
      Adelaide, Australia.

Comment

As for me, you should not fool yourself too much by inventing any devices. The fireplace tools are enough - it works flawlessly and does not create any difficulties.

Comment

Originally posted by P3 Stoaker View Post
          G'day All,
          Do you have a reasonably large oven? How do you overcome the heat and reach required to get wood deep in your oven?
          I have an oven with dome a little larger than 42 inch and entry is 475mm (19") and I struggle unless the fire is centre. I would appreciate any feedback on methods used to get the wood in such ovens.
          I do have very initial thoughts as to a device, that if required and nothing better pops up I'll make. Rough drawing included. Initial thoughts as to how to accommodate variety of size timber was with the offset as indicated on the diagram. Thoughts now are to have a wider opening at one side and jagged edges to prevent side slip, as indicated on diagram, lower left. Handle position and angle will be important for easy release of the subject log.
          Appreciate any thoughts.
          Kind Regards
          Greg
          I toss in smaller pieces but for larger logs I place those using a nice long-handled shovel.
          My 42" build: https://community.fornobravo.com/for...ld-new-zealand
          My oven drawings: My oven drawings - Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Comment

1. use (cheap) welding gloves whenever reaching inside hot oven
            2. TIP: Place new pieces of wood inside the oven near the entrance to heat them up first. After 10’ or more, use your pizza peel to pick then up and put on fire (it will instantly catch fire)
            3. don’t just throw logs.
            4. keep pieces at wrist thickness especially during/shortly before cooking. (I keep my Unsplittable logs aside for long heat up fires).

Comment

just use your turning peel
              My build progress
              My WFO Journal on Facebook
              My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

I too use small diameter wood. But, they are mostly limbs. The rounded shapes seem to roll of the peel. I added a small rope cleat to the peal some years ago. Adding wood straight in or crossways, it helps a bunch and does not interfere with turning the pizzas
                Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

G'day, and many thanks for the replies. I fired the oven last night and despite not having yet made my tool I managed ok. That was partly as a result of having and using a peel that along with a coal scoop I made yesterday, just in time, I managed to finish the tools just before I was ready to move the fire around. The peel works and that's great, its simple, the thing I'm impressed with is the coal scoop. Initially I thought the coal scoop would be too big but I had a fair size fire and I moved it around no problems with the big scoop, started in the centre, went right, then centre back, then centre again and then eventually left side before cooking. Going big was well worth it. Only thing now is where to store them??
                  I may still make the tool but in the mean time I will add a rope cleat as Gulf did and I wouldn't be surprised if that's where it ends, great idea Gulf.
                  Regards
                  Greg
                  Adelaide, Australia.

Comment

You can make a rack with holders so that tools are not lying around. Only this is an additional investment of time. Although, once done and you don't have to worry.

Comment

Working...
                    X