***Thanksgiving Turkey***

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: ***Thanksgiving Turkey***

This is one of the turkeys we had for Thangiving last year. Our four grown daughters alternate hosting Thanksgiving. As our WFO was new last year I wanted to roast a bird for the feast. Smoked and roasted in the WFO, this bird was completely eaten while the other was barely touched. The other bird was roasted in a conventional oven.

Needless to say and by request, this years bird will be smoked and roasted in the WFO.

Bests,
    Wiley

Comment

looks great wiley

Comment

I have done about three WFO turkeys so far. I use the high method that I found a long time ago on this site. http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f12/...urkey-335.html
        That should link to the original post I hope. This method worked great. I was afraid of burning it to mere ashes, but it turned out perfect. We cooked a 24lb turkey at @900 degrees, and it was done in about 2hrs. The turkey was slathered with butter and covered with tin foil while cooking. When the meat was fully cooked, we removed the tin foil and stuck it in for about 5 to 10min to brown the skin. I know I'm biased on WFO's but this was the best turkey we've had in a long time. I love the high heat method, the subtle smokiness, the slight salty taste from the brine, mmmm, now I want to do one this weekend. Actually, I think anyway you cook it in a wood oven is going to be great.

Comment

Originally posted by ThisOldGarageNJ View Post
          Looks great Dutch,,
          Did you need to baste it often ? and did you stuff it as well ?

Mark
          Thanks Mark!
          We did stuff it but as I recall we didn't do any basting. Barely opened the oven except to put in the other stuff we were cooking.
          Best
          Dutch
          "Making the simple complicated is commonplace; making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. " Charles Mingus
          "Build at least two brick ovens...one to make all the mistakes on and the other to be just like you dreamed of!" Dutch

Comment

will be doing a test run on sunday (tomorrow) with a 10 lb. turkey

Will let you know how it turns out

Thanks everyone again,,,, all the info here is incredible

Mark

Comment

How'd the bird turn out, Mark?

Comment

got delayed till next weekend,,,, will post for sure,,, thanks for asking

Comment

Okay,,, test driving the turkey today, Went out at 8am to light the fire, Want to put it in at noon..... (okay,,,Im anxious)

Cheers,
                  Mark
                  Last edited by ThisOldGarageNJ; 08-16-2010, 05:47 PM.

Comment

Yay! Maybe this means I won't have to do a test-drive of my own. can't wait to see the deliciousness!

Comment

Its out of the oven......
                      Last edited by ThisOldGarageNJ; 08-16-2010, 05:47 PM.

Comment

Did you cook that with fire in the oven or with retained heat?

Joe
                        Joe

Member WFOAMBA Wood Fired Oven Amatueur Masons Builders America

My thread: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/j...oven-8181.html

Comment

reatined heat,,, 10 lbs.. took about an hour and a half... will be eating soon hope its good....

Comment

Did you know that it's Turkey day in Canada on Monday October 12th?
                            I would have a shot at the answer, if I had the appropriate question.

Comment

hello beautiful! excellent work!
                              what was the oven temp when it went in?

Comment

hi splat,
                                it was about 700 going in about 550 (f) coming out... It was absolutely delicious,, tender moist.... Definitely having thanksgiving dinner here,, at least thats what the other 7 people voted.... We also cooked one pizza after for my brother in law who came late...
                                Love My WFO
                                Mark

Comment

Working...
                                X