***Thanksgiving Turkey***

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: ***Thanksgiving Turkey***

Thank you for the wise words. Knowing where you "shoot" the IR thermometer is very helpful -- as is the "long heat soak before baking" counsel. Shay's response, though, confuses me: how do you get an oven temp from an IRT without pointing the laser at something? (Sorry to be so dense.)

One other question about morning-after-fires, prompted by Shay's experience.

A few weeks back we made pizzas & bread at night and then put the oven to bed with the idea of making cinnamon rolls in the morning -- the rolls were already formed and rising in the refrig. By morning, though, the oven temp was too low (about 290 I think), so I made a fire, but the heat didn't seem to hold -- which I took as an indication that it wasn't hot enough long enough. The rolls turned out fine; just took a little longer than expected. So I'm looking for experience/advice about building a next-morning-fire and how to gauge if it's burned "long enough." Again, thank you. Kathy

Comment

I just point in the middle. I believe this should give me the highest temp between the gun and the back wall which I always take as the inside temp.. next time I'll shoot the floor and ceiling and throw an oven thermometer in there and see what I get.

The 'long enough' is a tough one. What I try to do is get a fire going that raises the temp a good 200 degrees above my goal. Once I reach that I stop adding wood and let it die down to hot coals. At this point it should be getting close to my goal temp. Once it reaches a 20-30 degrees above my goal I start removing coals. By the time I have it cleaned out it should be sitting right where I want it and I can put the door on.

Small fires aren't going to do much because they just don't give out enough heat for the brick to soak up. Starter fires, what you'd normally use as a first step to getting a Pizza firing, will usually raise the oven temp ~200 degrees or more depending on things like outside and inside temp.

This is why I did a test Turkey. I wanted to know how hard it would be to get the temp up to where I wanted it and then how long it would take to cook once I did. All in all it ended up being pretty easy to do.

btw, you don't have to remove all the coals if you want to keep the heat up and you want a smokey flavor. I'm not a fan so I took mine out.
      Shay - Centerville, MN

My Outdoor Kitchen/Pompeii WFO Build...

Comment

when I cook the turkey this time, i think im gonna strap some bacon over it with toothpicks for a litte extra zip.... or maybe i shouldnt play with my previous success.. any thoughts ???

Cheers
        Mark

Comment

When I cooked mine I rubbed a mixture of bacon grease, butter, and herbs over the outside and under the skin. The skin was beautifully brown and crispy. Nice flavor without overwhelming the turkey.
          Wade Lively

Comment

Shay ... Belated thanks for the extra info. We're doing a late Thanksgiving this year, so we're firing the oven Fri night for pizza and bread and then will need to reheat it to cook turkey & the sides the next day. So your advice will be put into practice soon. We all will be very grateful for that advice since raw turkey is not a good thing. Kathy

Comment

I went the Alton Brown route and brined it over night.. then the next morning I rubbed it with Canola Oil.. skin was perfect.

Kathy, I'm sure it will turn out great. I'll be popping my turkey in the oven tomorrow. Weather wasn't too kind today so I didn't fire it up for Pizza's so I'm going to leave a little extra time to really heat up the oven and then let it cool down a bit. I'll try and post my findings tomorrow.
              Shay - Centerville, MN

Comment

Will be lighting my fire around 7 am today.... want to make sure I get a good heat soak so I can put the bird in around noon.. 20lbs, I also want to make sure I let the oven have time to equalize and cool down a bit before i put it in,,,,
                Last edited by ThisOldGarageNJ; 11-26-2009, 05:22 AM.

Comment

I'm right with you, today, Mark! 2 turkeys for us. My wife doesn't trust my WFO skills yet (except pizza), so she is making a back up bird in the conventional oven. My fires lit! Our turkey throw down is on!
                  Mike - Saginaw, MI

Picasa Web Album
                  My oven build thread

Comment

Mike,,
                    You have the superior weapon...... You will win..... Dont forget before and after pics..

Good Luck
                    Mark

Comment

Yeah, I sort of feel bad for her. But, hey, she brought this on!!
                      Mike - Saginaw, MI

Picasa Web Album
                      My oven build thread

Comment

That's hilarious.. a backup turkey.. you can use hers for sandwiches eh?
                        Shay - Centerville, MN

Comment

you can use hers for sandwiches eh?
                          if its edible......

Comment

Originally posted by ThisOldGarageNJ View Post
                            if its edible......
                            Mark you are bad.
                            Member WFOAMBA Wood Fired Oven Amatueur Masons Builders America

Comment

Time will tell. Oven's fired. Had some quick pizzas for lunch (why waste the high heat). Here go the turkeys!
                              Mike - Saginaw, MI

Picasa Web Album
                              My oven build thread

Comment

Mine's in the oven now.. Ceiling was 500 and the floor was about 680.. back wall was 480.. I think this is close to what I had before but time will tell.
                                Shay - Centerville, MN

Comment

Working...
                                X