***Thanksgiving Turkey***

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: ***Thanksgiving Turkey***

I saw a post somewhere of someone cooking one at pizza temp.. I'll probably try that sometime but I wanted to try the standard route first.

As for outdoor temp, I think it might just take a bit longer depending on how often I open the door. I had to open it a few times to put food in and pull food out but I'll probably do that too on Thanksgiving.

Ah well..
    Shay - Centerville, MN

My Outdoor Kitchen/Pompeii WFO Build...

Comment

Cooking meat bigger than a chop or a smaller chicken piece at pizza temps is not for the faint of heart. I did a roaster chicken cut up the other night, and some of the big breast chunks were a bit more than pink in the center. The turkey method outlined elsewhere was to buttefly the bird, cutting out the spine, and flattening it, and cooking it over a tray of stuffing. You'll absolutely need to cover it with foil at some point to avoid the black/raw effect. It has the advantage of tucking in the breast, with it's tendency to overcook, and spreading the dark meat toward the sides where they are more exposed to direct heat.

I haven't tried this method. I cook one turkey every two years. Back when the supermarkets gave them out for free this time of year, I made one every year, and the packets of the off-year turkey would lurk in the freezer for months. It's not my favorite thing to eat.
      My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

I have done turkey the past 2 yrs, both came out perfectly BUT, 2 times too many for me. I can do without the turkey itself.....the 'fixins' are another story.

The first one was only and 11.5 - 12 lb bird. Went in at over 500, covered with foil after 1/2 hr and was done WAY early - about 1 hr 45 minutes. We really had to scramble to get the rest of the meal on.
        Last year was a big one, 22+ lbs. I went lower and slower I think about 4 hrs and started it around 425 or 450. Ended up just a bit over cooked, but by no means dried out. Although WFO turkey is better than in the indoor oven (yes, I toss in a few coals and wood chip for a very mild smokiness), it is still turkey...which like chicken, is almost tasteless to me. I'm not a fan of meat that has to be doctored or smothered in sauce, marinade, brine, gravy. Probably just my taste buds....nearly everyone thinks I'm crazy for not eating much of either of them.

RT

Comment

It's too bad because turkey is sooooo good for you.. I personally love it.. I do brine it but I have no problem with doing that, just part of the cooking processes.
          Shay - Centerville, MN

Comment

I put the Turkey Triangle on and the temp was at 400.
            Okay,,, can someone tell me what a turkey triangle is ???

Thanks
            Mark

Comment

Good Eats Roast Turkey Videos : Food Network
              Shay - Centerville, MN

Comment

Richie, had this link posted in another thread.. Great vid on carving the bird.. I am definitely going this way this year

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/21/di...tml?ref=dining

cheers
                Mark

Comment

yes, I think that going super hot would require the bird be butterflied but that is my preferred method for poultry anyway because it's faster and cooks so much more evenly. OTOH, I've noticed that the WFO behaves a lot like my convection oven in terms of how it cooks (convection is the only way I cook a whole-carcass bird) hence, I'm still on the fence about whether to butterfly or not. And I'm laughing at the mental images of myself trying to wrestle an 18lb. turkey into submissive flatness.

I think turkey is one of the hardest meats to do right, and the bigger the bird the harder it is to cook it well. I don't eat much meat anyway, so I'm totally with you on liking the side dishes better.

Comment

can someone tell me what a turkey triangle is ???
                    Good Eats Roast Turkey Videos : Food Networkthanks shay.... I appreciate it

Mark

Comment

Hey Guys,,, I really think I am gonna cook the pig and the turkey at the same time..will soak the oven with heat.... ANy suggestions or comments ? prob 15 lb turkey and 15 lb suckling pig

Thanks
                      Mark

Comment

A quick question for any (or all) who have posted here about your turkey cooking experiences (and thanks for all those trials) ... when you give temps (e.g., "the turkey went in at 700") is that a floor temp? a wall temp? a dome temp? Inquiring newbie minds want to know.

Comment

(e.g., "the turkey went in at 700")
                          Mine was a floor temp...... I always y
                          use the floor then I'm working with the same reference number.. I also make sure if I'm baking its after a long heat soak..

Cheers
                          Mark
                          Last edited by ThisOldGarageNJ; 11-24-2009, 04:51 AM.

Comment

I use a standard old fashioned oven thermometer, and put in the turkey when the oven's well under 500.
                            My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Originally posted by ThisOldGarageNJ View Post
                              Richie, had this link posted in another thread.. Great vid on carving the bird.. I am definitely going this way this year

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/21/di...tml?ref=dining

cheers
                              Mark
                              Mark, the link isn't working at this time. I even joined NYT thinking it might work. Nope.

Tom
                              Member WFOAMBA Wood Fired Oven Amatueur Masons Builders America

Comment

Mine was just oven temp. I wasn't aiming at the floor or ceiling. It was also after a long heat soak like Mark suggested. I actually made pizzas the night before, then in the morning I did a starter fire, ie didn't add any more wood after the starter pieces, let that burn down to coals and then waited with the door off for it to be just a bit above the temp I wanted. I then scooped out any remaining coals and ash, put the door on and went to get the turkey.
                                Shay - Centerville, MN

Comment

Working...
                                X