Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ***Thanksgiving Turkey***

Hi All,
    I have cooked many things in my oven so far, pizza,bread,chicken,ribs etc...
    Now the time is coming I think I need to make the big turkey day meal... This will make my sister happy as well. I have done the Turkey deep fry,, It was ok.. Would like to prepare as much of the meal as possible in the WFO....

So my questions

1. Probably 18-20 lb Turkey, Will my cooking time vary that much from the house oven ?

2. What other things has anyone cooked with their turkey ie: veggies, casserole, etc.. ??

3. will I have time to bake some bread after the other stuff is done and still have the turkey hot..?

4. appetizer suggestions ?

5. Would cooking it like a beer can chicken be a good idea ?

6. what order will I be cooking stuff in ?

Im asking early as I would like to test drive a smaller turkey before the big day,,

And belive me any help, advice, recipes and suggestions are greatly appreciated !!!

Re: ***Thanksgiving Turkey***

NJ, check out the post below:

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f12/...html#post19707

Comment

I am SO planning on doing my Thanksgiving turkey in the WFO. I am thinking I'll butterfly it as I do with chickens, since that reduces the cooking time quite a bit and seems like it works well to get the dark and white meat done at the same time. What I have not verified is whether my roasting pan and rack will fit through the door. If not, I might have to cut the whole bird in half and roast it in two pieces.
      A test drive is a great idea! I might have to try that, too, since I usually go for an organic free range bird and they are $$.

Comment

NJ,
        you must have a seriously structured pizza dough to hold an 18 lb turkey

Good Luck and let us know you results. I an wanting to try that myself.

Bob
        Great pizza, a cold beer,a great cigar and great friends...my idea of a great time

Comment

will I have time to bake some bread after the other stuff is done and still have the turkey hot..?
          Since you will be roasting your turkey at retained heat temperatures, they won't be much different than regular oven temperatures. Therefore, you can slide in beside the roast anything you want, including casseroles, and trays of rolls. Remember that you're dealing with a declining temperature curve, with the turkey going in at 450 and coming out at 325, in my oven, so you want to choose dishes that aren't temperature critical, but that includes most thanksgiving dishes.
          My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

splat,
            I like the idea of cutting in half, I have had the butcher do that for me before with their bandsaw,, I think I will buy one and do the test drive on half, and freeze the other half.. then buy another whole one for thanksgiving.. My oven is big enough to do it in two pans when thanksgivng comes..

David, I guess I should get my menu together and plan so I can put them all in together,, Including making my dough early enough..

thanks guys

Comment

Sorry to come late to this thread, we cooked a 16lb turkey two years ago, and did it whole, with stuffing. started at about 450, and cooling from there. also did pureed parsnips (organic parsnips, with butter and cream), roast potatoes and carrots, brussell sprouts and one other veg. all in the oven, all fabulous. don't think you need to cut it in half, just go for it.

Philip

PS - still made the gravy on the stove. Have to have gravy.

Comment

Philip, how long did it cook for?
                Mike - Saginaw, MI

Picasa Web Album
                My oven build thread

Comment

To be honest, I don't recall exactly. we budgeted 20 minutes per pound, but it was done a bit early. It browns quickly, as the oven is hot, so I ended up putting aluminum foil on top for a while.

I also find that the back of the oven is much hotter than the front, particularly if I have only heated the oven up for a shorter period of time, so I rotated it quite a bit.

We also let the Turkey rest of 30 minutes, and was able to finish cooking everything else in that time.

Comment

We have cooked our turkey the last 2 years in our oven.

We brined it like Alton Brown suggests and have a big pizza party Wed night, throw the door on and start the turkey mid morning on Thursday. Always some coals left over and we throw a few hickory splits on to keep the smoke going.

So far 3 turkeys have turned out great. Not as pretty as splatgirls chicken but (I believe) every bit as tasty!!!

I must say - I did not stuff them - I worried that the heat of the oven would cook the bird too fast.

Also - I filled a coffee can (I think they still make them) with water and stuck it in the back of the oven an hour before we put the bird in. I think that helps with the moist bird thing but can't be sure cause I've never not done it....

Christo
                    Last edited by christo; 09-28-2009, 07:31 PM. Reason: no stuffing
                    My oven progress -
                    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/c...cina-1227.html
                    sigpic

Comment

Wow.. Nice turkey christo,,, I have come out of this with some great ideasfrom everyone. I am almost tempted to make it like a beer can chicken, I had good success with that. Last time I filled the can with white wine..
                      Also - I filled a coffee can (I think they still make them) with water and stuck it in the back of the oven
                      or use this method and fill with wine ?? DOnt know if it would make a difference but I may give it a shot
                      THanks all

Comment

Wine does make everything better!!!

Wonder what beer can we could use for a turkey?

oilcans are still too small!

Cheers!

Christo
                        My oven progress -
                        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/c...cina-1227.html
                        sigpic

Comment

Wonder what beer can we could use for a turkey?
                          the heineken keg can !!!
                          Last edited by ThisOldGarageNJ; 08-16-2010, 05:47 PM.

Comment

Hi all! This is a photo of what we did with ours in the WFO. It is four seasons old but we plan on doing ours in the restaurant oven this year. as dmun suggests many of the other items went in with the turkey. As I recall the bird took 10-15 minutes per pound.
                            Best
                            Dutch
                            Last edited by Dutchoven; 09-30-2009, 05:28 AM. Reason: bad memory
                            "Making the simple complicated is commonplace; making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. " Charles Mingus
                            "Build at least two brick ovens...one to make all the mistakes on and the other to be just like you dreamed of!" Dutch

Comment

Looks great Dutch,,
                              Did you need to baste it often ? and did you stuff it as well ?

Mark

Comment

Working...
                              X