Playing with sourdough

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Playing with sourdough

Wow! Talk about coinkidink! I was inspired to say the same thing. Great thought Jim. Could probably just drop the pieces on the bench a couple of times to degas also and then do the primary shaping or as some call it "rounding"
    Best
    Dutch
    "Making the simple complicated is commonplace; making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. " Charles Mingus
    "Build at least two brick ovens...one to make all the mistakes on and the other to be just like you dreamed of!" Dutch

Comment

Dutch,

Exactly. I've done both, and it seems to suit me to pat flat. Dropping the pieces a few times would accomplish the same object. Probably worth a try, not matter how it's done.

Jim
      "Made are tools, and born are hands"--William Blake, 1757-1827

Comment

I'll try that this evening with the sourdough rye loaf I'm making. Here's a few pics of the miche I made a couple days ago. The crumb is much better than last time. Lots of small air pockets and only one larger hole. I'm still trying to get the right temperature for cooking this loaf b/c the bottom always seems to scorch due to the long bake (about 45 min).
        Oven Progress
        Bread Photos
        Oven Stand Thread

Comment

Bottom doesn't look scorched to me...just looks like good bread. You could try lowering the oven temp shortly after loading to recreate the loss of energy the brick oven undergoes from the cold loaf of bread entering the oven. Just a thought!
          Dutch
          "Making the simple complicated is commonplace; making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. " Charles Mingus
          "Build at least two brick ovens...one to make all the mistakes on and the other to be just like you dreamed of!" Dutch

Comment

The picture is a bit deceiving...believe me, I can use a bit of the bottom for charcoal. I'm actually using six firebricks as my baking stone. I preheat for about 1.5-2 hrs at 500F and then lower to 450 when I put the loaf in. After 25 minutes I lower to 420 and bake another 20-25 mins. I imagine the bricks aren't effected by the lower air temperature in that short amount of time since they are about 2.5 inches thick. A shorter preheat time may be in order for that loaf. The basic sourdough loaves cook perfectly though...500F preheat for 1.5-2hrs, 450 from loading to finish (about 20 mins).
            Oven Progress
            Bread Photos
            Oven Stand Thread

Comment

Here's a couple shots of a pumpernickel rye loaf I made last night. I'll cut it open this evening when I have some corned beef to put on it.
              Oven Progress
              Bread Photos
              Oven Stand Thread

Comment

Looks good! Can't wait to see the slice...How do you have time to bake this often? Are you retired? Rich? stay at home mom/dad? Inquiring minds want to know!
                Drake
                My Oven Thread:
                http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...-oven-633.html

Comment

Originally posted by DrakeRemoray View Post
                  Looks good! Can't wait to see the slice...How do you have time to bake this often? Are you retired? Rich? stay at home mom/dad? Inquiring minds want to know!
                  Drake
                  Ha! None of the above! Doesn't take up too much of my time since I only make one or two loaves at a time. And the loaves usually only last a couple days or so before they are eaten up (except for the 4.5 lb miche).
                  Oven Progress
                  Bread Photos
                  Oven Stand Thread

Comment

Looks great, how does it taste?

Drake
                    My Oven Thread:
                    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...-oven-633.html

Comment

RLF,

Far as I can tell from the pic, your pumpernickel loaf crumb looks exactly the way it should. With this kind of bread, you'll never get the open structure of bread flour formulas, simply because of the weight of the flour. Well done; you're really getting somewhere. Just look at the spring and volume. Congrats.

Jim

Comment

Thanks! BTW, the bread tasted great.
                        Oven Progress
                        Bread Photos
                        Oven Stand Thread

Comment

Looking good. I don't want to hijack this thread, so I'll post a separate question here. In April, I'll be giving a bread baking course that includes two people who want to learn how to make Portuguese corn bread. Somewhat out of my compass. Anybody have a good, tried and true recipe? I'd appreciate it. Xabia Jim, where are you?

Jim

Comment

Jim
                            I'll check some folks that I know. When my Dad worked on the boats he had a Portuguese friend who was the cook. I know he baked fresh bread but, don't know if it is the corn bread you seek. Hope I can help!
                            Dutch

Comment

portuguese corn bread - Google Search

Google for Prime Minister!
                              Un amico degli amici.

Comment

Alfredo,

Okay, that means you should be Secretary of the Culinary.

Dutch,

Anything you come up with would be welcome.

I was specifically asked about "Papo-secos," but none of the recipes I've seen use this particular term. Could be strictly regional, though; I'm not sure.

Thanks for the help.

Jim

Comment

Working...
                                X