Playing with sourdough

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Playing with sourdough

Papo-secos I believe are Portuguese rolls...I will look into it as well...I have a line on the corn bread recipe...just want to make sure it is a tried and true recipe...they call it Pao de Milho
    Best
    Dutch
    "Making the simple complicated is commonplace; making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. " Charles Mingus
    "Build at least two brick ovens...one to make all the mistakes on and the other to be just like you dreamed of!" Dutch

Comment

Ok, I think I'll be able to get what you're looking for. For both...I was partly wrong about the papo secos only being rolls...papo secos actually seems to refer to the leaner type of white bread in their diet. The have a milk bread and papo secos...both can be rolls or loaves. Sounds like the Pao de Milho is very similar to Anadama bread but...have not seen the recipe yet...coming to me most like in volume measure...do you want me to convert to formula before I send it?...where do you want me to send it? I am sure the recipes will benefit from a little of your know-how!
      All the best!
      Dutch
      "Making the simple complicated is commonplace; making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. " Charles Mingus
      "Build at least two brick ovens...one to make all the mistakes on and the other to be just like you dreamed of!" Dutch

Comment

Dutch,

Thanks muchly for your help and persistence with this. You could send them as Word files by email if that works. Or I'll send you my snail mail address. No need to convert volume measurements, I can do that easily. I'm curious to see the differences between the two types. There are several very good Portuguese bakeries in Toronto, but I've struck out getting recipes. All I do get is very polite smiles and silence--and good corn bread.

Jim
        "Made are tools, and born are hands"--William Blake, 1757-1827

Comment

Yes, I have gotten those responses before myself. Polite smile, a nod and silence. I will do it through the email on your profile or I will go to MaryG's website and so on.
          I will include info on the corn bread, the milk bread and the white bread!
          Best
          Dutch
          Glad I could return the favor!!!

Comment

Dutch,

Either way will work and get to me. In the meantime, I'll send you my real email to you by email. ERR, does that make any sense?

Thanks again.

Jim

Comment

Made Reinhart's Jewish Deli Rye yesterday. It was hard to wait a day to try it out b/c it smelled so good coming out of the oven. It looks a little shorter than it really is b/c I cut two slices out for a pastrami and swiss sandwich.

BTW Jim

How did the corn bread turn out?
              Oven Progress
              Bread Photos
              Oven Stand Thread

Comment

LF,

First off, the rye looks just like it should. Congratulations! Still working on the corn bread recipe, courtesy Dutch. A bit of the hot soak overnight, plus the retardation, plus the, plus the.... I'll work it out over time.

Jim

Comment

That is one good looking loaf!
                  My Oven Thread:
                  http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...-oven-633.html

Comment

Thanks! That was my first try at shaping a b?tard, which seemed to turn out pretty well. I'm going to try the same shape with the basic sourdough I have fermenting right now.
                    Oven Progress
                    Bread Photos
                    Oven Stand Thread

Comment

Just wanted to post a few pics of recent baking...I tried the formula for the Portuguese Corn Bread and there are a couple of pics of those....like Jim I am manipulating some of the variables because the basic formula is just that BASIC...the variable I chose for these was a longer refridgerated overnight proof...the other pics are an assortment of loaves that were ordered by my patrons who have stayed with us after the close of our farmer's market and baked today. In the pic are some pane siciliano, ciabatta, baguette, a basic sourdough, pain d'campagne, and italian.

Comment

Just tried the pain ? l'ancienne loaf and I'm hooked. Can't wait to be able to cook in the brick oven though. Twenty minutes after it came out I was slicing and eating it with some Il Frantoio olive oil from Forno Bravo (best oil I've had btw).
                        Oven Progress
                        Bread Photos
                        Oven Stand Thread

Comment

Again, that looks great. I have not tried that recipe (from the Bread Baker's Apprentice right?) I will have to give it a try! I think I will have to get some of that olive oil as well...
                          Drake
                          My Oven Thread:
                          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...-oven-633.html

Comment

RLF, Drake,

I used to make a standard baguette, no longer. The Ancienne has simply taken over, because it's so much better than any other recipe I've used. The dough is so wet it's a bit tricky to work with when it comes to dividing it, transferring it onto the (heavily floured) peel and loading it into the oven. Forget about scaling each loaf, because you can't just cut a bit off one and add it to the runt. The trick with this formula is to be quick and deft in handling it. Overhandling will give you hockey pucks. Don't worry about shaping too much; these are rustic loaves, not Parisian perfecto. After some practice, don't be afraid to hyrdrate it even more. The wetter it is, the better the bread will be.

I've found that conventional slashing simply does not work with such wet dough. Instead, as Reinhart sort of suggests, I've been nipping the loaves with kitchen shears held at a very shallow angle. The pic attached shows one of my students doing just that.

Jim

Comment

Its a really simple and fast recipe. I was able to make the dough last night, and cook this morning before leaving for work. As far as slashing the loaves goes, I was able to do so by dipping a free blade in cold water before and after each slash. You also have to be really quick and precise with it, or it will still catch the dough. I'll probably be using the scissors from now on as well.
                              Oven Progress
                              Bread Photos
                              Oven Stand Thread

Comment

Some sourdough loaves I made yesterday using Hammelman's Vermont Sourdough recipe. As usual, good flavor and crust, but my crumb is a bit dense aside from the overly large holes. The holes are always either too small which results in more dense bread, or too large (abou the size of a quarter). For some reason the yeast I've cultivated just doesn't seem to want to work well enough for me. I may start adding a very small amount of instant yeast to see how that works.
                                Oven Progress
                                Bread Photos
                                Oven Stand Thread

Comment

Working...
                                X