Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Roasting a suckling pig

CoyoteVB

I used a fire blanket (the one you extinguish kitchen fires with) just to hold the heat in while I bring the temp in the oven up.

The last time I cook a suckling pig in the oven I did exactly what you suggested. I started with the temp high & then slow cooked. What I found is that the skin did not crackle as much as I would have liked. The meat was perfect both ways, it was just that final result of the skin that was different. In a month or so I will be doing a pork leg without the bone in much the same way. Will let you know the out come.

Comment

O and yes I roasted it in the pan thats in the picture. I also used a roasting rack to lift the belly off the pan.

Comment

RedDwarf,

I'd say you have an award-winner there! The final result is nothing short of spectacular. Plus, your cooking technique is simple and logical. The only thing better would be you offering "free home delivery!!" Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Thanks for the advise. Time to find a suckling pig for a spring event!

Comment

I think in order to get the crackle you need some high heat at the end of cooking (once the fat is all rendered). That is how I do it in the caja china. Roast the pig till done skin side down, then turn the pig skin side up and cut the skin in several places, then turn up the heat...I think you could pull off something similar in the WFO. Just put some coals or build up a fire in the oven after the pig is done and stick the pig back in to crisp the skin...
            My Oven Thread:
            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...-oven-633.html

Comment

I roasted a whole pig last year for my son's birthday. I had to remove the pig's head and legs in order for the pig to fit my aluminum tray. I have regularly also roast only pork belly for a smaller party but the method of cooking remains the same. Here is the keys thing to get consistent blisters all over the pork.

-After you roast your pork at a low temp (300 to 325 F) and your internal temperature read at 170 to 180 F on the thickest section of the pork (which is the shoulder area). Remove it from the WFO and let it rest.

- While it being rest, I poked hundreds of holes with a point knife into the skin of the pork so that the juice would oozed out of the skin. Use a paper towel to wipe off the juice. Don't worry about losing just much juice because there is plenty of fat in the skin. After you do this, you would pour some kosher salt all over the skin so that can continue to absorb the moisture from the skin. Let it sit for an hour and half at room temp. There is no need to score on the skin unless you like the look of it. Scoring only release the moisture in the cut section and it will not give a nice overall cracklin.
              - While your pork is being rest, should fire up your WFO again. Since the WFO was already hot, it will heat up fast. Closed the door and let the heat saturated for 30 minutes. When the air temp hits about 575 to 600 F., it is time to load that pork back in.
              - Before you load your pig back in the oven, brush of the kosher salt off the pig. Again, I would start poking the all over the skin again and wipe any juice that may ooze out of the skin. You want to skin to be dry so the high heat triggers the skin to cracklin.
              - finally, load that pig inside of the hot WFO, and close the door. After 10 minutes, it should be done. I have more photos in the threads & description below.

Happy Cracklin!

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/12/r...w-17609-3.html

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/8/40...-17202-11.html
              Last edited by banhxeo76; 02-05-2013, 08:55 AM.
              Who Dat?

Tu Dat

If you feel lost with building your WFO, just pray to St. Stephen who is the patron saint of bricklayers.

Comment

Working...
              X